Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why do people buy a leica?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Why do people buy a leica? Reply with quote

Im just curious, is it the glass? the zen-like rangefinder experience? the little red dot? the name? what?

anyone care to chime in please to help my obsession Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do people buy a leica? Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
Im just curious, is it the glass? the zen-like rangefinder experience? the little red dot? the name? what?

anyone care to chime in please to help my obsession Smile

All of the above plus the obsessive passion for construction detail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why people buy designer clothes, fast cars .... they can afford it Laughing

Friend of mine who is a repair man and local dealer of used gear, he did try virtually any equipments include most expensive ones AF MF no matter.
He said me yesterday need a camera only and luck to catch right situation no matter Leica or Praktica.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila , I agree, serendipity is more powerful than any lens!

and it appears the best lens is the one in the photographers eyeball.

Im trying to fight off the urge to buy a leica, but i wanted to hear from people who had bought/used one, because i really love my KX and vintage glass , would buying a Leica make me a better photographer, probably not!

help!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Leica and if it is give you an extra feeling in your hobby keep it if not sell it. I did it too. I bought already Leica IIIb RF camera body it has awesome quality after cla'd I did try it out . Bottom loading just not for me simple , so I sold it. Now I am very happy with cheap Russian clones like Fed-2 and Kiev-4.Fed-2 has normal loading otherways same than Leica III Wink and it's cost nothing really. Feeling just same to me in practical usage.
I bought Leica R 90mm f2.8 second version I just didn't find to better than Kaleinar 100mm Laughing and I like lot more Pancolar 80 or Biotar 75 I sold it too. Last my Leica is 100mm f4 Macro Elmarit , I keep it Laughing because I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the M9 is in a class by itself at the moment.

FF sensor, small footprint.

To rich for my blood, but I'd like to have something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What comes with great expectations often leaves one disappointed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not pay any attention on Leica glass, due to their price. Then My friend told me that Summicron reduce the noise on ISO 1600. I tried to compare it with Zeiss glass. He's right. I tried Elmarit 90 for same purpose and compared to other lens. Still on high ISO Leica give better noise control. This is very useful for my cheap 1000D canon, with crap high ISO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why buy a Leica?

I think that many Leica owners are not Leica "users"... so in fact the qualities of the cameras & lenses really mean little in practice, they just have perceived value on paper. Instead, these people are Leica "collectors". The items are nothing more than investments.

The difference however is that unlike stocks, bonds, or other investments, the Leicas have a bit of prestige with them. You effectively buy your way into a club of like-minded investors, with all of the bragging rights and social community support that comes with it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica pro/con subject has been discussed to death all over the place so I don't see a need to go over all that again.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the original question, why do people buy Leica?

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Leica; however, if I *were* to buy a Leica, film or digital, it would be because I *could* do things that are nearly impossible on another system. So, in fact, yes, it would be about the glass. A couple of examples:

Noctilux 50/1.0
CZ Hologon 16/8.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this topic is at some point going to be found in the Dive Bar...

I have owned lots of Leicas and I do love the feel of using them. But, in 2011 time has gone past them and M9 did not change anything. It was always hard to justify the extra price, but nowadays it's impossible to justify with anything else than emotional arguments.

Leica is like slow food movement - you never find all the fuzz appealing until you finally have the extra time to allow yourself at least one day per week. Like slow food, Leica is not always healthy, but it sure is all about hedonism.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider Leica or 5Dii. When I weighed up the pros and cons, it was a simple choice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with respect, the M9 did not change anything?

really?

the leicaphiles are head over heels with the thing.

there are only 5 other digital cameras (excepting medium format) with that level of image quality and all are huge.

the first ever full frame rangefinder?

your average pro would kill to get one.

leica has never been so far ahead of the curve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
...your average pro would kill to get one...

Nothing could be further from the truth. The average 'pro' is shooting a 7D and has about 6 weeks experience with a DSLR and would kill to have an 'L' series lens to replace their kit lens!

In the real world Pro's need AF and zoom lenses. Range finders are next to useless in the vast majority of professional photographic work although they do have a few niches where they excel.

JJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why do peoples buy CARL ZEISS lenses Rolling Eyes ?????
If you have the money and if you like beautiful piece of glass and metal, then it's enough reason to buy one, same for CARL ZEISS or Angenieux on my opinion....and peoples who told you that having a Leica lens is just "snobbism" are probably just jealous ........

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

really?

there are only 5 other digital cameras (excepting medium format) with that level of image quality and all are huge.

Far ahead of the curve???

Leicaphiles, you can't speak rationale to them. Leicaphiles were head over heels also when Minolta designed Leica lenses that sucked, but cost 4 times more than better lenses. Take R-system for instance, it is one big era of lenses that when now inspected on demanding DSLR sensors, proves to be only equal or even less capable than other SLR lenses (but still 3-4 times more expensive). M-glass (while excellent overall) also contains more crap than Leicaphiles care to admit. Erwin Putz seems to be the only person Leicaphiles dare not oppose, when he points these facts out to them.

Kill for a Leica??? The average pro wouldn't kill for a Leica, much less churn out the price they sell for. Most pros have two bodies and as the M9 is the only considerable digital body they have, that would mean buying two of them. Think it's frustrating to stand in line waiting for one M9? Try buying two, while you try to maintain a living. Canon and Nikon pro programmes cater to professionals so well that within 24 hours I will get a replacement body anywhere in the World (except maybe Antarktis).

The photojournalist doesn't want high ISO performance from the film era: the M9 is about 3 to 4 f-stops behind a Nikon D3 or D3s when it comes to dynamic range and color noise at higher ISO. Go to DxOmark.com and use the sensor comparison - if you think I'm exaggerating.

Nor do Leica offer a smart and powerful portable wireless flash system that is anywhere near what Nikon and Canon have. With all due respect to available light shooters, you've clearly never needed more than 5-6 f-stops of dynamic range, or never needed to bounce flash. Why? Because you don't shoot in badly lit indoors spaces where there are 14 differently ugly white balance sources.

M9 with 2fps rules out sports, wedding, photojournalism or other situations which require speed. Most PJ jobs are anyway those, where you have 30 other photogs around you and a window of opportunity that lasts for about 1.5s to nail the shot.

Thanks to the capability of AF module on D3/D3s today I can lock focus in light so low details are invisible to the human eye. The M9 rangefinder in darkness would put me back to the 1980's when I focused by judging distance and setting it on the focusing scale.

The whole range of M-glass is still wonderful on black & white, and many of the designs are clearly optimized for BW use. Ask ANY M8 or M9 owner about color management and the pain of trying to get accurate color reproduction --> that rules the M9 out of product photography as well.

Don't even get me started on the prime-swapping excercise. I am a manual shooter with more than 20 manual focus lenses, but when I'm paid to do a photo job I will take the computer-designed motorized AF zooms anytime before packing 3 to 5 Zeiss ZF or Leica M primes (and a backup M9) in my bag - simply because those 1500+ EUR pro lenses of Canon and Nikon today are awfully good both optically and mechanically. Try comparing a bolt-locked sniper rifle with an assault rifle - which do you think will keep you alive longer? Precision or useability?

Unsuitable for: weddings, today's hectic photojournalism, sports, low light, product photography - I just listed 95% of my income and yes - I make a living out of photography.

I love Leica. On Sundays, when I'm not at work but shooting leisurely for myself. Slow food and slow photography.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:33 am; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

really?

The M9 is really something. And it's a good thing with diversity in the camera world. I would love to have one because I like rangefinders and a ff upgrade from my PEN would have been perfect.

Price tag is still a little to high for me and I would spend my money on lenses at this point. I think I would rather go for a Leica than a Canon/ Nikon ff if they have a similar model in a couple of years with a better price tag. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atila wrote ''and I like lot more Pancolar 80 or Biotar 75 I sold it too"

These are also much expansive $$$$$$,

Last week I bought MC Eyemik 2.8 100mm for 10 euros
I am sure that with Eyemik I'll be the same photograph like with
expansive (much overrated) Biotar or Pancolar.

semso

Biotar 75 or Pancolar 80 are good only for resell (buying cheap and selling expansive)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. there IS a difference between a Pancolar and a €10,- noname lens!
Of course, you can take fantastic photos with a €10,- lens, but some characteristics are somewhat typical and exclusive to certain lenses.

Why Leica?

There are several reasons that a valid for different owners, some more, some less. Some of those arguments are not accepted by everybody, but not everybody buys a Leica...

1. Leica as a name has a tradition and reputation. Using a Leica lets this light shine on you as a photographer. Stupid or not, it's true for many.

2. Leica cams and lenses are built extremely well and just feel great in your hands. It's a joy to use them.

3. The high precision of Leica products provides the best chances for an excellent image quality. Of course, you need th right light, the right situation and the right subject for a good photo. But a Leica will not let you down in such a case.

4. Some Leica items are pretty rare and well sought after, thus collectors step onto stage and buy those "gems".

5. Leica has rarely been the first to introduce a new technology. They have developed several technologies first (such as the Autofocus, it's a Leica development!) but have not marketed it. They (normally) only put an item on the market if it works reliably. (The M8 was the exception to the rule with its black problems. Wink). That's what Leica users love. If you own a Leica, you can expect it to work.

6. Leica, as a rather small company, plays the role of the underdog against Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.. This allows them to find their place in a highly exclusive niché which again casts that exclusive light on owners, just like the membership in an exclusiuve club.

7. If you buy a Leica you are willing (and able) to spend a lot of money on your hobby. This again adds to the feeling of exclusiveness and "elite".

As I said, you easily would not agree to some of those points but everybody who owns a Leica follows at least some of those aspects.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try the impossible and balance the situation - i'm not a spec junkie and I speak as a prosumer, not as an expert in the business for 15 yrs

Two different worlds.

I love the M9. It's small and fits in a tiny bag with my 3 fav lenses. A 15/4.5 Heliar, a 50/1.1 Nokton and the 90 summicron. I can spend all day shooting with the cam and not feel the weight or get lost in features I don't use. The full frame sensor is fantastic and the noise control is decent - given that you get superfast lenses for this system, you dont have to hike up the ISO. Yes, there is color shift with ultrawide lenses but I can live with it and there are some good programs to fix this issue.

But, i'm under no pressure to deliver. I don't make my money from my pictures. It's ok if I fcuk a shot up. Would i ever rely only on an M9 if i had to make my money from my pictures. No i wouldn't.

The M9 won't do macros. The M9 won't do long range tele. The M9 doesn't have live view. The M9 doesn't even have weatherproofing.

A rangefinder will never replace a DSLR with autofocus.

Yes a DSLR is bulky and heavy. Yes it's got a million menus and submenus. Yes it's made of plastic. Yes it's very obvious if you want to take some candid street shots.

But it surely does everything the M9 doesn't and a lot more.

I just bought a 1ds mk3 for everything i want to do and the M9 simply wont let me.

There are days when I go out with the M9. There are days when I go out with a DSLR.

Question is - WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHAT ARE YOUR NEEDS?

Cant have both at the moment. So wait for a Nikon or a Canon or a whoever to come up with a small FF camera with stripped down menus and functions or just buy whatever suits your needs and tastes most at the moment and reconsider your kit at a later point in time when the choice of technology is wider.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Yes a DSLR is bulky and heavy. Yes it's got a million menus and submenus. Yes it's made of plastic.

Magnesium, not plastic (if you buy something decent and not an entry-level DSLR). For the rest I agree with your post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Well. there IS a difference between a Pancolar and a €10,- noname lens!

But in the year of production the price of MC Eyemik 2.8 100mm was probably the same like the price of MC Pancolar 1.8 80mm

Biotar 58mm clone Helios 44XX cost less than 2 euros

But WE ARE someone who made the price of Pancolar so unrealistic.

I had more then 300 MF lenses and best photo I made with MC Chinon 28mm 2.8, YES THE HEAD make a photo, not the camera or the lens!!!!

semso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all

this wasnt a trolling flamebait post actually, Ive been saving up for a while , and I have close to 2000 bucks sitting around doing nothing, which suspiciously is aboutthe price of a used M8

I have a Pentax KX and I love it, and the MF lenses on it are fantastic, i am just trying to figure out what my next step is , I dislike live view and video , I dont shoot for a living, Im on a disability pension from Air traffic control atthe moment, and I do most of my photography as a cathartic *chill out* experience, I was just thinking that a Leica might be the sweet spot

Imean between , quality, speed and the *zen* of photo , Im sorry if this post sturred up some emotions, i didnt mean it to be , I was just looking for some help about making a decision

My brain says stick with DSLRs , but my heart........