Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slik u-212 deluxe Tripod -- missing mount-piece part
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Slik u-212 deluxe Tripod -- missing mount-piece part Reply with quote

I purchased a Slik u212 deluxe tripod that's missing a mount-piece figuring that I would just buy it separately. The missing piece should contain the screw (to thread into a camera). Unfortunately, available quick release posts on *bay don't look like the right fit. Can someone with this tripod point me to the right key-word/part I need to buy?

I've attached a picture of the mount. You will notice that there is some remnant adhesive on top -- no idea where this came from.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that the glue was there to hold a rubber pad in place, but I could be wrong.

Does this site have your quick-release part? I've never used them, they just came up in a Google search:
http://tripodquickrelease.com/Slik_Quick_Releases.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
My guess would be that the glue was there to hold a rubber pad in place, but I could be wrong.

Does this site have your quick-release part? I've never used them, they just came up in a Google search:
http://tripodquickrelease.com/Slik_Quick_Releases.htm

Thanks. The site you linked does have the "6121 Quick release post" for this tripod. Do you think that this is all I need? I am just wondering whether the missing rubber/plastic pad will result in the camera perching solely on the screw (i.e. without sitting on the gridded plastic.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Slik u-212 deluxe Tripod -- missing mount-piece part Reply with quote

Weird!

The local Goodwill had a tripod like this - with the same piece missing!

I wondered what it was?

Now I know...

Doug

new_berlin wrote:
I purchased a Slik u212 deluxe tripod that's missing a mount-piece figuring that I would just buy it separately. The missing piece should contain the screw (to thread into a camera). Unfortunately, available quick release posts on *bay don't look like the right fit. Can someone with this tripod point me to the right key-word/part I need to buy?

I've attached a picture of the mount. You will notice that there is some remnant adhesive on top -- no idea where this came from.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Answers to your Slik U212 Dlx head question Reply with quote

Hi,

I registered here to answer your question. I've been a happy U-212dlx owner since 1986 and still use it regularly.

You are only missing the "rubber" mounting pad on the top of the head that was once held on by that glue, plus a quick release part (pictured below). You still have the second mounting pad on your tripod. It is much smaller, and on the left side of your picture. NOTE: You'll see both pads on mine, in photo #2 below . . . still both intact after 25 years.

PHOTO ONE - OPERATING THE GRAY QUICK RELEASE LEVER
In photo one, taken from the rear of the tripod head, you'll see my gray quick release lever pointing to the right. Rotated to the 3 o'clock position like I've done will allow you to lift the lever's end, which will allow you to insert or release the Slik quick release part which you've ordered. I've included one of mine in both photos for a point of reference. In the first photo, you can only see the quick release post's threads sticking up that would normally have been already screwed into the mounted camera!

Once the lever is pointing as mine is, and you lift the end of the lever up, it will allow you to remove or insert the Slik quick release part you've ordered. To lock it, simply close the lever. To snug up the camera, you'll then carefully rotate that lever CLOCKWISE until the camera becomes snug against the TWO rubber base pads.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In photo two, taken from the same vantage point of your original photo, you'll see both black pads on mine. A quick release post is sitting on top of the pad to show you what it looks like.

NOTE: Between the pads is a little area with a gray sliding part. One end of the gray part has a taller "lip" on it. Before you tighten the release lever to snug the camera to the base pad you slide this lip just beyond where your camera's bottom would contact it. This will snug the gray part so it won't move either, and when you turn your camera on it's side to take "portrait" format images, that snugged gray tab will prevent your camera from turning on the pad under the weight of a heavy lens like a long telephoto.

BTW, that gray part can be slide straight out the front of the guides, rotated and reinserted to where the tall lip is to the FRONT of the camera body if it fits your camera better that way. Pretty neat idea!

THE MISSING BLACK PAD . . .

If Slik can't provide the part, you can go to any auto supply store and purchase a few bucks of the cork gasket material that has bits of black rubber impregnated in the surface and cut your own pads. YOU WILL NEED BOTH PADS IN PLACE FOR THE CAMERA TO SNUG TO THE TRIPOD BASE! However, I suspect Slik can still provide the pad you need at a very reasonable cost!

Either way, you've got a great tripod and my photos should help give you a clear idea how to use it. Hope this helps!