Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ROBOT with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 3cm/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: ROBOT with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 3cm/3.5 Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with ROBOT cameras?

I picked this one up from a garage sale when I was a teenager. I remember buying it because it was heavy, then finding out that it didn't take normal film. Sad Since then, it has been a shelf piece. Wink

I've done a bit of research this afternoon, and I *think* that this may be a ROBOT II... Either way, they seem like pretty funky cameras with a spring drive film advance and a cine-style shutter. Not to mention a sideways viewfinder. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very collectible cameras !

Should be usable, you only need the one special cassette for take-up, it should feed from a standard 35mm cassette.

There is no rewind on these I gather, so you will have to rewind cassette to cassette after taking the film out of the camera. If you don't have a dark bag, then do it with camera and cassettes under a pile of blankets.

I do pretty much the same thing to and from 120 - 620 film spools.

Your lens looks hazy, that may be your worst problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the worst problem is that the shutter is stuck. Sad

When I got it, I was able to take a couple clicks with it (no film), then it stopped. I wound it a bit, but it no longer clicks when you press the shutter release. I had read somewhere that these cameras had a lock for the shutter (since they were spring-loaded and ready to keep shooting), but I don't know where that lock is at.

Also, I'm a bit fearful to open it up to try to fix it, seeing as how it has a big spring under tension. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use the shutter anymore you will inflict damage on the mechanism.

It is fairly easy to unscrew from the front and some swabs and lighter fluid usually is all required to have them up and working again. Just buy a set of jeweller's screwdrivers and be very careful not to twist or break screws while unscrewing them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. What part would I unscrew?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking camera. I hope you can use it.