Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ring to reach infinity for Nikon DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: ring to reach infinity for Nikon DSLR Reply with quote

Somebody at my place made ring of brass, that fit to be screwed to M42 lenses, and then use available adapter M42-Nikon. It reach infinity. I saw the ring, but I don't have Nikon DSLR to test it.
My friend told me, it worked well. Any Nikonian interested? I'll find out for member here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see/understand how it is possible without modified the mount Confused ...But if you can provided a little bit more details and may be picture of the ring mount on the lens, then it could be interesting Wink ....
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42: 45.5mm
Nikon: 46.5mm
thinnest M42-Nikon adapter I ever saw is 1mm thick

So your "ring " would have to have a thickness of
45.5mm - 1mm - 46.5mm = -2mm (negative 2mm)

You friends must be real geniusses to make that .... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

You friends must be real geniusses to make that .... Wink

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
thinnest M42-Nikon adapter I ever saw is 1mm thick

I have one which is 0mm thick... but getting to -1mm would definitely be a challenge. Wink

IAZA, please post some pictures if you can!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, recessed rings could do, if the lens is small enough (enlarger lenses for instance) - done that myself.
But the diameter of a M42 mount and the one of a Nikon mount contradict that.

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA, as you can see we are a bit sceptical about such an adapter, but don t get discouraged by us, i for one would love such an adapter, so please post pictures and more details about this adapter. i am sure we nikonians would be very happy it would work

tomas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
IAZA, as you cen see we are a bit sceptical about such an adapter, but don t get discouraged by us, i for one would love such an adapter, so please post pictures and more details about this adapter. i am sure we nikonias would be very happy it would work

tomas

+1
"I have a dream"................. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply, I understand those comments. All I can say is I will try it if I can find Nikon DSLR to test as soon as possible.
Here's the picture of this ring.

thickness compared to M42-EOS adapter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the same as my "0mm" adapter.

Going flangeless like this does get you closer, but you will still be 1mm away from hitting infinity. It also means that you lose the lock slot for the Nikon side, so there is nothing to keep the lens from twisting and falling out of the camera body.

Be careful using it. Wink I've had some close calls with mine...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, exactly the reason(s) why I stayed away from that...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i tried and made one like that, a friend of mine has a "lathe" (this is the translation i got), so we just shaved off the part of a glassless adaptor that holds the stopper for the F mount. It still doesn t give you infinity, but it gets you closer, as someone else pointed out, it s highly impractical and maybe even dangerous for the camera. Some lenses are closer to get infinity than others (longer focal lengts are closer i think), so maybe your friend does get infinity on his lens, i doubt he can get it with a wide angle lens. Everything is not lost for the Nikonians among us, some lenses are easyly adapted to get infinity on a Nikon body, i mayself adapted a Tair 11a, a CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5, a Helios 58/2 and so on...

best regards

tomas