Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Raynox Rubimat 135 2.8 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Raynox Rubimat 135 2.8 M42 Reply with quote

Good day to all of you
I just got a Raynox Rubimat 135 2.8, in M42.
I made a rapid test, it seems sharper than my Pentacon Electric 135 2.8.
It appears to be quite rare, does someone here have one?
Impression? Is it valuable?

Thanks
Jean Claude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jean!

Pentacon 135mm is famous from bokeh not it's sharpness, not so hard to get sharper 135mm lens. I think your lens is one of the hundreds noname Japanese brands it's value is near zero. 135mm f2.8 inexpensive even from big players like Carl Zeiss or Olympus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said (welcome as well!), even a lens with near-zero resale value can still be a great all-around lens for shooting. Wink Attila has seen & used pretty much everything, so he can be a bit "honest" at times. Laughing There are so many great 135mm lenses that the prices are very low for the known good ones - most people won't even waste their time with the no-name variants.

But yes, that's the beauty of scraping the low-end of the lesser know equipment... you are much more free to use the equipment and not worry about the collectibility or investment value. You can buy 'em cheap, and any result you are happy with is a win! Very Happy

iangreenhalgh1 might disagree though. As the world's foremost collector of crap lenses, I think he's starting to get tired of 'em. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your replies,
I agree it's probably a low end 135, I have the original packing, it is made by Raynox, in Germany, not a japanee. I will make some shoots this we, and try to compare.
You'r right that's the beauty, you can try, like/dislike woithout investing a lot!
Have a nice day.

Jean Claude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, please show some images of the lens itself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer to ManualFocus-G, here are some pics taken with the lens

and finally the lens itself

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jclaude wrote:
Good day to all of you
I just got a Raynox Rubimat 135 2.8, in M42.
I made a rapid test, it seems sharper than my Pentacon Electric 135 2.8.
It appears to be quite rare, does someone here have one?
Impression? Is it valuable?

Your Pentacon has some faults for sure. If in good or even average shape it produces sharper images wide-open then 99% of Japanese 135mm third party products. In price range around 50 EUR (auto version) is there any sharper 2.8/135mm at all?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letter "C" preceeding the serial number makes me think it was manufactured in Japan by Cimko, short for Cima Kogaku. Another Cima characteristic, and not visible in your photo, is an outline "diamond" or double diamond as the reference mark for distance and f stop.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 're right there is an orange diamond in the middle of the f-stop scale.
I got it wirh its original packing, written in german, there no refrence to any original manufacturer neither country of origine.
It seems not so frequent, it is the first I saw.

Jean Claude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 2.8/135 in good condition is pretty sharp, not as sharp as CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135 or Konica Hexanon 3.5/135 but sharp enough for all situations imho. It's colours and bokeh are special imho. I have two copies, one a mint M42 one and one a later PB mount one, the performance is very similar although the PB one is plastic and much less well built.

Sample from my M42 Pentacon:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1, was that shot at the closest focus distance or did you use an extension tube?

I may be getting this lens soon.