Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Viewfinder Eyecups
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Pentax Viewfinder Eyecups Reply with quote

I'm in need of some advice from the Pentax crowd. Wink

I'm finding with my P and M-series Pentaxes that when it is bright outside, or when I am really intent on focusing, I tend to press my eye too close to the metal viewfinder to block out the surrounding light. It gets a bit uncomfortable, and I suspect I am also straining my eye a bit to focus so close.

I've been looking at the eye cups, and it seems as though there are three designs: the big flared style, the round flat or cup style, and the little rubber bumper style (as is sometimes found on DSLRS). Within these designs, they also seem to come in various forms (metal vs plastic vs rubber mounting, magnifying and non-magnifying, rotating or non-rotating, and Pentax-fit vs Generic-fit).

Just making guesses, I would assume that the flared style is best for people without glasses (which is me), and the round style for those with glasses. But then it also seems as though the flared style would complicate switching from landscape to portrait...

Are there any pros/cons to the original Pentax rubber mount (such as the Pentax Eyecup-M), vs the vintage style metal mount, vs the modern generic plastic mounts?

Any suggestions, or insight into your personal preference? Question

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a lot of experience with Pentax-specific eyecups. In fact the only Pentax I own that gets any use is an old KX which at the moment has no eyecup or ring or surround of any sort. Which reminds me -- I need to get one for it.

I wear glasses, but whenever possible, I will try to locate a diopter for my old cameras so I can use them without my glasses. My DSLR has the built-in adjustment. If my old camera has a square eyepiece, then sometimes a diopter eliminates the possibility of using an eyecup, which is a problem for me. Because I definitely prefer the standard, round, flared, i.e. more-or-less conical, eyecup. I like the fact that it eliminates all exterior light leaks when my eye is up to the viewfinder. I don't have a problem with my eyecup interfering when I rotate my camera from landscape to portrait, either. I wish my EOS DSLR had a conical eyecup instead of that ungainly trapezoidal-rectangular thing it has. I keep telling myself I need to buy a Tenpa for it:

Click here to see on Ebay

If I'm stuck using a camera without diopter adjustment or a diopter, I still prefer an eyecup, and I just fold it over so it behaves more like the bumper you mention, and then it's not so bad when I have to use my glasses.

And for the record, these comments refer specifically to my Nikons and Canon F-1, which have round eyepieces, as well as to my Pentax KX, Canon FTb and Canon AE-1, and even my EOS DSLR, all of which have rectangular eyepieces. I have the flare-type eyecups for all of them, except for the KX and the EOS, which both need them, IMO.

Hope this helps ya some.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is great help. Cool

So just to clarify, you prefer this style:

over this style:

?

And also, the eyepieces you have used which have an adjustable diopter, do they also have any magnification, or are they just a focus adjustment?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Thanks, that is great help. Cool

So just to clarify, you prefer this style:

over this style:

?

And also, the eyepieces you have used which have an adjustable diopter, do they also have any magnification, or are they just a focus adjustment?

Actually, the eyecups I use are the regular conical style, not the teardrop--shaped ones. But that's mostly because I've never used one, I suppose. I don't have problems with extraneous light leaks with the standard round ones, so I guess I don't see the need.

None of my diopters affect the magnification. The Tenpa I mentioned above is both, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Actually, the eyecups I use are the regular conical style, not the teardrop--shaped ones. But that's mostly because I've never used one, I suppose. I don't have problems with extraneous light leaks with the standard round ones, so I guess I don't see the need.

Thanks, that's good information.

I managed to locate one of the old Pentax versions - the single piece rubber round one that just stretches over the eyepiece, instead of using the plastic or metal clips to attach. It's well used, and half way around the world at the moment, but the price was right and it should be a better fit with less bulk than the new generic "fits anything" models. Wink

I'll report back once it arrives. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a long time to find a rubber eyecup which suited my Asahi Pentax cameras and was comfortable to use (I wear glasses). Quite by accident I found this one shown below on my Asahi Pentax SPF. It is a Nikon DK-16 which was designed for their D40 DSLR.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd's shot got me to wondering. So I pulled the eyecup off my Canon AE-1 Program, then dug out my Pentax KX, which should have an eyepiece shape similar to the SPF, shouldn't it? And sure enough, the Canon eyecup fits fine. Just a little loose but it stays put.

And the cup can be folded forward for eyeglass wearers, such that it functions much the same way that the Nikon "bumper" does in DigiChromeEd's shot.

Considering the many millions of A-series cameras that Canon produced over the years, and the fact that there are probably still a number of producers of aftermarket accessories that include the Canon-style eyecups, this might be a fruitful avenue to pursue when looking for eyepiece accessories for the old Pentax cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I wear glasses, but whenever possible, I will try to locate a diopter for my old cameras so I can use them without my glasses. My DSLR has the built-in adjustment. If my old camera has a square eyepiece, then sometimes a diopter eliminates the possibility of using an eyecup, which is a problem for me.

....Hope this helps ya some.

Apologies for changing the topic slightly but, Michael, you might find this old thread interesting. I've made 3 or 4 diopter lenses from old reading glasses. They fit inside the eyepiece, so you can still use an eyecup or other accessory.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=13568

Hope this helps you too! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Peter, thanks for resurrecting that thread. You guys discussed this just a couple of weeks before I joined the forum. What a great idea!

I even have the tools you show in the thread -- and then some -- and I'm very used to doing exacting detail work when required. I may have to dig some for the UHU adhesive, though.

I just took a look at a set of -2 reading glasses I own, and the only problem I can foresee is that they are thicker than the diopters the camera makers produce. They're even thicker than the lenses in my glasses. Huh. Guess there's no reason why I can't cut up an old set of my glasses though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
It took me a long time to find a rubber eyecup which suited my Asahi Pentax cameras and was comfortable to use (I wear glasses). Quite by accident I found this one shown below on my Asahi Pentax SPF. It is a Nikon DK-16 which was designed for their D40 DSLR.

Thanks for the tip! This is especially interesting to me, as my better half has a D40. Although the D40 eyepiece is better than the bare metal on my Pentaxes, this is more encouraging to me in the sense that we may be able to fit the rubber Pentax eyecup to the D40 if we ever wanted to. Cool

cooltouch wrote:
DigiChromeEd's shot got me to wondering. So I pulled the eyecup off my Canon AE-1 Program, then dug out my Pentax KX, which should have an eyepiece shape similar to the SPF, shouldn't it? And sure enough, the Canon eyecup fits fine. Just a little loose but it stays put.

And the cup can be folded forward for eyeglass wearers, such that it functions much the same way that the Nikon "bumper" does in DigiChromeEd's shot.

Considering the many millions of A-series cameras that Canon produced over the years, and the fact that there are probably still a number of producers of aftermarket accessories that include the Canon-style eyecups, this might be a fruitful avenue to pursue when looking for eyepiece accessories for the old Pentax cameras.

Another valuable discovery! Surprised

The Pentax eyecup I ordered is exactly the same style - all rubber, and without the plastic or metal clips that the newer ones use to hold it on. So I'll see how I like this one when it arrives, and should I ever need more, it sounds like I have quite a few more options than I had thought. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wow! Peter, thanks for resurrecting that thread. You guys discussed this just a couple of weeks before I joined the forum. What a great idea!

I even have the tools you show in the thread -- and then some -- and I'm very used to doing exacting detail work when required. I may have to dig some for the UHU adhesive, though.

I just took a look at a set of -2 reading glasses I own, and the only problem I can foresee is that they are thicker than the diopters the camera makers produce. They're even thicker than the lenses in my glasses. Huh. Guess there's no reason why I can't cut up an old set of my glasses though.

Yes, mine are quite a lot thicker too but that's not a problem. You have to file the edges with a slight slant to wedge it into the eyepiece. UHU is a simple all-purpose clear solvent adhesive, I'm sure you must have something similar over there. However, it's quite "messy", in that it's difficult not to leave a thin wispy strand of glue on the glass when you pull the nozzle away. I use liquid super-glue now, it's a lot cleaner and easier but use tweezers so you don't get it on your fingers! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
UHU is a simple all-purpose clear solvent adhesive, I'm sure you must have something similar over there. However, it's quite "messy", in that it's difficult not to leave a thin wispy strand of glue on the glass when you pull the nozzle away. I use liquid super-glue now, it's a lot cleaner and easier but use tweezers so you don't get it on your fingers! Wink

Instead of glue, I wonder if you could just shape the lens to be the same size as the outer part of the metal eyepiece, and then stretch one of these rubber eyecups over them both to hold the new lens in place? Question cooltouch mentioned that the Canon eyecup is a bit loose...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Canon eyecup fits around the outer frame, and leaves the interior glass part open, so I don't think it would do any good.

About using a lens out of glasses, I'm interested in trying this on several of my cameras. Some have round eyepieces and some have rectangular ones. And the KX has that sort of rounded rectangle. I don't want to cement them in place -- undoing that sort of mod becomes a potentially delicate operation. So I would have to come up with some method of making the diopters removable. With my F-1 and Nikons, there are eyepiece rings available. I can probably mount a diopter in an eyepiece ring. It's the square-format viewfinders that will likely be more problematic. Maybe clear silicon seal instead of an adhesive would be one answer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, the Canon eyecup fits around the outer frame, and leaves the interior glass part open, so I don't think it would do any good.

Maybe I didn't describe it well enough. Wink What I meant was to cut it to the size of the outer part of that outer frame, so that it is BIGGER than the window cut into the Canon eyecup. You would then place the new lens on top of the viewfinder frame, and put the eyecup on over the top, sandwiching the lens between the viewfinder frame and the eyecup. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Well, that might work. Only way to find out would be to give it a try. I'm thinking though that the Nikon bumper might work better in that regard. It seems to be a thicker piece of rubber. The Canon eyecup is only maybe 1mm thick right there.