Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Metal lens caps v.s. plastic lens caps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Metal lens caps v.s. plastic lens caps Reply with quote

There are some metal caps for M42 lens. I am curious if these metal caps will provide a better protection than the plastic lens caps. Anyone has experince?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a habit of dropping your lenses on spikes or hitting them with sharp objects that would penetrate plastic caps, then certainly metal is better for protection. On the other hand plastic caps may be able to absorb shocks better (possibly breaking the cap in the process) while metal caps, especially screw-on ones, will transmit the impact to the lens.

But in my opinion if the safety of your lens comes down to the material of the lens cap, you might be better off considering a different way to handle the lenses. =)

(For lenses actually in use, a lens hood is good protection. Actually the same thing kind of applies there for rubber/plastic vs metal, but I prefer metal hoods for looks.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
If you have a habit of dropping your lenses on spikes or hitting them with sharp objects that would penetrate plastic caps, then certainly metal is better for protection. On the other hand plastic caps may be able to absorb shocks better (possibly breaking the cap in the process) while metal caps, especially screw-on ones, will transmit the impact to the lens.

But in my opinion if the safety of your lens comes down to the material of the lens cap, you might be better off considering a different way to handle the lenses. =)

(For lenses actually in use, a lens hood is good protection. Actually the same thing kind of applies there for rubber/plastic vs metal, but I prefer metal hoods for looks.)

+1 I have a few metal caps, third party and genuine one. I like plastic better, actually current Chinese made ones what is widely available on Ebay I think best ones from all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stiff rubber hood (NOT the collapsible type!) is definitely the way to go if you want impact protection for a lens. Cool

Plastic types are a close second, but you have to replace them after they have taken a hit. Thin metal hoods would come in third, as they would still help you out in diagonal impacts, just not as much for straight-on hits.

Metal lens caps may protect the glass the best, but they will transfer the full impact forces into the lens body. Some lenses may be tough enough to handle this, but not all of them are. Plastic lens caps may be a bit better than metal in this regard, but in any sort of diagonal impact, a plastic lens cap will just snap off, leaving the edge of your filter threads to absorb the impact instead. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like screwed cap, nothing make me more crazy than cap who get out in my bag and dance dangerously near my lenses
lately I prefer to use filter instead of cap, but when I unscrew them, I don't know where to put them ( b&w filter )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I would like screwed cap, nothing make me more crazy than cap who get out in my bag and dance dangerously near my lenses
lately I prefer to use filter instead of cap, but when I unscrew them, I don't know where to put them ( b&w filter )

I am using old leather case for each lenses and caps , nothing to worry about just simple throw all things into my bag pack . Old lens cases made by Japanese or Germans best lens protectors what I known in transfer. In storage I use cheap or used filters to protect lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer plastic lens caps, because if I am in a hurry and fumble when removing the lens cap I don't have to fear of the metal hitting front element and scratching it.

The only metal caps I have are 72mm screw-in Nikon caps, they fit some of the wide-angles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I have some collapsible rubber but I am not satisfy with their quality. I will try stiff rubber hood if I can find one.