Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I figure exposure for multiple exposures?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: How do I figure exposure for multiple exposures? Reply with quote

I want to use a Yashica A to make a multi-exposure shot, at least three and maybe four. How do I figure the exposure?
Color or black and white best?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I figure exposure for multiple exposures? Reply with quote

I think as a general rule, you just divide it up.

So for example, if the shot meters at f/8 1/60th of a second, you could double-expose it as two f/8 1/120th shots. Or you could get the same effect by shooting two f/11 1/60th shots. If your camera or lens lets you adjust by less than a full stop, you could even do an uneven ratio (say, 2/3 of the exposure to the first shot and 1/3 to the second) to make one of the images dominant.

It is all a bit experimental though, and depends on the scene. It could be that you can merge three or four shots in what would seem mathematically to be a certain overexposure, but because the highlights are in different places, they end up just fine on the film. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir. I am glad it is simple arithmetic ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual rule is half a stop per exposure, so for 4 multi exposures its 2 stops

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Trev ...