Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Darkroom camera loading/unloading?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Darkroom camera loading/unloading? Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever used a camera that required darkroom loading/unloading, or done a darkroom load of a camera that didn't necessarily need it?

There are several reasons why you would (or could) do this:
* Cameras that pre-date the 1934 introduction of the standardized 135-format cassettes, perhaps when proprietary cassettes were intended but are not available
* Using a bulk film back (250+ exposures)
* To get more exposures per roll from standard cassettes (example: 27 exposures on a 24-exposure roll by shooting the film which is normally lost as part of the leader)
* Shooting without cassettes to allow longer film lengths

I'm particularly interested in #4... and considering making some oversize spools to allow longer lengths of film (>36 exposures) to be used, without keeping the film in cassettes. Wink

However, before I do this, I'm interested to hear any real-world experiences... ie, if it is worth the hassle, or the need to bring a changing bag around with you for when you finish a roll.

Thanks. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Vive MPC model A, just finished the rebuild. This camera requires loading and unloading film in a darkroom environment. I use a changing bag as I do not have a dedicated darkroom. The camera is from the 1900's and uses a plate system to hold the film. The film is loaded into metal plates and the plates are then loaded into the camera. After a picture is taken a metal handle is turned and the plate falls forward into a stack inside the camera. The camera can hold up to 12 plates at one time. I have no sample pictures yet, today was my first time loading the camera. I did load up 4 plates today so I can take some pictures next week. I did many dry runs loading and unloading in the light using paper instead of film. Took me about 8 minutes to load up the film today in a changing bag, 27"x30". What takes the most time is cutting down the 4x5 film to fit into the metal holder,have to take an inch off the bottom of the film.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a picture of that camera!

I have a Fuji st605n with a broken film release button - if stabbing it with a pen doesn't release the film for rewinding, I have to unload it in the dark.

I re-roll 120 into 620 spools in a changing bag as well. If I ever get a larger format roll film camera that works, I'll be loading and unloading it in the bag as well, shoehorning 120 film in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took some test pictures today. Will be unloading the camera tonight, can take pictures after the film gets unloaded. Then I will be trying my hand at developing the film.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not get any pictures of camera, unloaded and tried to develop the film. Did not allow enough time in the developer so the results are poor. Will have to try another batch of test shots. Will get some pictures of the camera posted eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mmelvis - keep us posted on your results! Cool

Jussi - What do you think in general about all of the work with the changing bag? Is it a rewarding process, or is it just a pain? Very Happy Do you have any problems with dust, scratches, etc from all of the shuffling in the changing bag? Question

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a large one - the one recommended, sold by roger_luo on ebay - so there's enough space, mostly. Unless I completely mess up with the film (sometimes this happens for no apparent reason, other times it's clearly something I did wrong) there's not much to mess things up. I suppose I should have vacuumed the inside, but dust-wise, the menagerie of pets we have is a bigger threat. I fold the bag and put it back in a plastic bag right after I use it, to keep it as clean as possible.

My 1913 Pocket Brownie I think I'll need to unload in the bag next time - the roll was wound loose in the camera and I think I caught some light leaks there. In this case I'd unload the camera, wrap the film, take the camera out and put in the tank in order to continue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I'd love to see a picture of that camera!

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1110537.html#1110537

Link to Camera Pictures Vive MPC