Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Damage on rear element
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Very useful series! Thanks for demonstrating that such lenses are still worth buying and can be cheaper than they need be!

Sad to see such damage, but illuminating (!!) to see the affects of correct aperture. Most lenses are sought for the widest fastest aperture, especially as the diffraction limit on the 4/3 camera sensors can be at f8!

Just a clumsy suggestion, but there are automobile windscreen repair kits that could repair a lens. They would not be perfect, but the improvement might be useful?

Do you think this repair kit make spot to transparent ? I can't imagine how ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darioratti wrote:
Henry very interesting info! Do you have any other samples of scratched lenses?

There was a great thread a while back that Attila started, where he posted the results of this lens:

Attila wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/broken-glass-how-impact-picture-quality-t30191.html

This lens showed significant impact to the picture quality, but a fair amount was able to be recovered with some post processing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being shunned and banned, may I suggest that unwanted cheap common-as-dirt lenses may be sacrificed for science? Deliberately scratch/smash the front and/or rear elements to determine how much damage they can withstand and still deliver acceptable images. Or is this too much like Dr Mengele?

I don't have any extra Takumar 50/1.2's to use as test subjects. Bother. Maybe a Domiplan? Nobody will mourn for a Domi, will they? Wink

OK everybody, calm down, relax. Put away the ropes, the tar and feathers, the shotguns. Attila, you can withdraw your attack parrot. I won't hurt such glass. My test subjects are more likely to be an extra Kodak 100-150/3.5 projector lens, or something I pull from a junked Polaroid Swinger. Polaroid Swingers are like chickens -- they DESERVE to be eaten!

Has anyone here conducted such tests? Will you confess?