Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adaptall 1 to Pentax K - no adapter available?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Adaptall 1 to Pentax K - no adapter available? Reply with quote

I have bought recently an old 300mm f5.6 Tamron Adaptall lens and acquired an adaptall 2 adapter because there are no adaptall 1 adapter and i thought of backward compatibility.

But the adapter won`t fit! Anyone got a suggestion where to find an fitting adapter for my Pentax K10D?

As you can see the Adaptall 2 has some sort of screw mount inside whereas the adaptall adapter is only pushed inside and screwed with the loose ring.
Also the Adaptall 1 adapter has a big lever which controls the shutter in the lens, the adaptall 2 adapter has only a small lever which cant do anything for this lens.

Due to the screw mount of the adaptall 2 adapter it won't even fit in the lens mount.

Hope someone can help me Crying or Very sad

Here are some pics of the ebay adaptall 2 pentax adapter the lens mount and the adaptall 1 konica adapter which came with the lens:

Last edited by Snakeisthestuff on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Post your photos in the 2nd post as they will not show in the first post...it is an anti spam feature... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx man, i thought i was too stupid to link a picture xD.

The Adaptall 2 pentax adapter i bought on ebay:

The lens mount:

The Adaptall 1 konica adapter which came with the lens:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeisthestuff wrote:
Thx man, i thought i was too stupid to link a picture xD.

Welcome to the forums!

New Member Lesson #2: mo isn't a man. Very Happy Luckily though she has a good sense of humor. Wink

Best of luck finding the right adapter. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a bigger photo of the lens itself as I think it is an earlier Auto Tamron adaptamatic lens...which is another mount altogether.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sry for the "man" Embarassed .
Indeed its an old Auto Tamron 300mm f5.6 no coating probably.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries,I have been called worse.. Rolling Eyes Very Happy and it's the internet how were you to know!! Wink
Yes that is an adaptamatic,Not sure if you get a k mount in that age group.You may have to buy an M42 adaptamatic mount and then buy the m42 to k mount adapter(I have the original one for my K200D..just because I like the original types and it fits nicely in the camera)...not a bad investment as then you can use a whole lot more m42 lenses on your K10D Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 adapter is no problem, I also bought an genuine in Japan for my 50mm Takumar. Unfortunetly ebay doesnt list any adapt-a-matic adapters for pentax only nikon F mount Crying or Very sad

Maybe buying an Konica to pentax adapter is on option, as i have already an adapt-a-matic Konica adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't think Konica-to-Pentax is a viable option, because of the difference in registration distance. (Actually, if memory serves, Konica is difficult to adapt to anything, because its registration distance is so short.)

My recommendation would be to pick up another Adaptamatic lens, this time one that's already fitted with an M42 adapter. Then you can swap the adapter between lenses as needed. Adaptamatic adapters, sold separately, are infrequently encountered. I think I have five or six Adaptamatic lenses, and only two or three adapters for them. In practice, that hasn't proven to be much of an inconvenience.

And since many of the Adaptamatic-era Tamrons are very nice lenses, it's really not such a bad thing to have to buy another one.

Cheers,

Jon

PS I don't believe a K-mount Adaptamatic adapter exists. The Adaptamatic system had come and gone by the time Pentax abandoned the M42 mount.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think you are right. But how to check if the lens is adapt-a-matic and not adaptall? I checked ebay and there are very few adapt-a-matic lenses.

But there are many Tamron m42 lenses, but it`s hard to recognize the adapter. Are there any m42 adaptall lenses at all?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you're searching eBay, then you need to be aware (as you've already discovered) that very few lenses are listed as "Adaptamatics." A seller would have to have independent knowledge that a lens belongs to that series; it's not like the term "Adaptamatic" appears on the lenses themselves.

That doesn't mean that the lenses aren't there. I suggest that you head over to this site, click on the Adaptamatic link, and familiarize yourself with the lenses. There aren't that many of them, and they do have rather distinctive styling. Then search for Tamrons (maybe restricting the search to used lenses, just to make things easier), and identify the Adaptamatics among them.

The lenses are there to be had, and often at fair prices, if one is patient and watchful.

Good luck!

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to all of you. I will do my best Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRB Griturn in the UK sell a big range of adaptors, and can make specials. They might be able to help.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/camera-adaptors-306-c.asp

I've used this company for a long time and their stuff is good quality and they ship internationally.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Adaptall-1 for Canon FTb, Olympus OM-1, Konica EE f/3.5, and Konica EE f/4.5. New old stock, with boxes & plastic cases. Would any of those be of use? Probably not, but maybe somebody else reading this thread will need one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe search using Auto Tamron...not sure if the later series use that name..I have the 135/2.8 and I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
If you're searching eBay, then you need to be aware (as you've already discovered) that very few lenses are listed as "Adaptamatics." A seller would have to have independent knowledge that a lens belongs to that series; it's not like the term "Adaptamatic" appears on the lenses themselves.

Good point. I did a search a while back, and I was seeing a lot of lenses listed as "Tamron Adaptall Adaptall-2 Adapt-A-Matic Adaptamatic". Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, there are a few search strategies that can help. But I honestly believe there's no substitute for learning to recognize the distinctive Adaptamatic styling - even in an eBay thumbnail image.

For some reason, I also seem to see a non-trivial number of cameras sold with Adaptamatic lenses fitted to them. You have to wonder where the original normal lens went.

Note, too, that the Tamron-F lenses, which can look very much like Adaptamatics at a glance, were fixed-mount lenses - no adapter. Those, at least, are identified on the beauty ring, so (as long as there's a decent listing photo) the risk of misidentification isn't terribly high.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon
Do you have any Tamron-F lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mo,

Just one: a 200/3.5 in M42 mount.

I'm embarrassed Embarassed to admit that I haven't yet done any shooting with that one.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering could you post an image of it as I have read on the Adaptall site about the coming soon page for "F mount" but it has never been finished and put up.
I would like to know what it looks like, it seems to be a little known or not easily found model of a Tamron...would that be true?