Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
................ spotted a nova quad .......................

What's a nova quad?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second copy of Canon FL 100/3.5 just arrived Very Happy. 29 EUR with shipping - as it is far from perfect copy plan is to remove aperture lever mechanism so it will become full preset lens to be used with T70 and nex.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, a Nova quad is a freestanding vertical, thermostatically controlled slot processor for paper, 3 chemical baths and a wash bath, hence quad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped in at one of the local thrift stores and went straight for the shelf where
they put the cameras. Nothing except for some cheap plastic rangefinders . Then I
noticed the " camera guy" standing beside his desk, I asked him if he had any
cameras back there. Yes , he said , one just came in and he showed me an older
Mamiya slr. I`ve seen many Mamiyas but not one this old. Then the lens that was
attached to it caught my eye. One of the first thoughts was...great , I can use this on
my pentax kx digital. The lens ring said...Mamiya-sekor 1.7 58...yes58...mm. So I
forked over the requested $10.00 and walked out a very excited GAS patient.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Not so sure how much of a bargain this was today:

Canon EOS 1000 FN Camera
Sigma 35-80 f4-5.6 DL Zoom
Sigma 70-210 f4-5.6 UC Zoom

Camera Case with extended nose
Soft Case for Lens

£29.99 in Barnardos

About the right price - absolutely no more. The 1000FN is a good camera, very plasticky but nice and easy to use. It makes shooting film as easy as digital. I have the non flash version and love it. Yours is a little more versatile.

BTW there is a Hove book for this model on Amazon at a penny plus postage http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/090644781X/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1409866888&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+eos+1000+book&condition=used

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
The 1000FN is a good camera, very plasticky but nice and easy to use. It makes shooting film as easy as digital. I have the non flash version and love it. Yours is a little more versatile.

Well I'm off to Barcelona in the morning and I opted to take the Minolta Dynax 500i for my film shots. Once I have tried out the Canon when I come back I will know if it is a worthwhile addition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recent bargains I got:
Yashica C/Y 100mm F3.5 Macro - ca. 10 USD
Pentax A 200mm F4 in mint condition - ca. 10 USD
Nikkor AiS 50mm F2.8 Macro - ca. 20 USD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sammo, great prices! But a question: isn't your Nikon macro either a 55mm or a 60mm? I've never heard of a Nikon AIs 50mm macro.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my best deal ever, on a Saturday market in Stavanger a couple of weeks ago: a really nice Linhof Technika III (or IV? I can't tell them apart...) with handle, 6x7 (56x72) Super Rollex film back, Carl Zeiss Tessar 105mm/3.5 (+ matching viewfinder mask) and Voigtländer Technika-Heliar 15cm/4.5 for a whopping £20 total!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable! Heck, just the handle has to sell for more than that!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogbog wrote:
Probably my best deal ever, on a Saturday market in Stavanger a couple of weeks ago: a really nice Linhof Technika III (or IV? I can't tell them apart...) with handle, 6x7 (56x72) Super Rollex film back, Carl Zeiss Tessar 105mm/3.5 (+ matching viewfinder mask) and Voigtländer Technika-Heliar 15cm/4.5 for a whopping £20 total!

Jammy b*gger!
I'll offer you 100% profit right away, and you can't say fairer than that... Cool

The later Tech IIIs had nearly all the features of the Tech IV, but no front forward tilt. Also, the lensboards are square-ish, not bevelled on the bottom corners, as became the standard board from the IV onwards.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/technika.html
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?60729-Liberating-front-tilt-on-a-Linhof-Master-Technika&p=574351&viewfull=1#post574351

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey sammo, great prices! But a question: isn't your Nikon macro either a 55mm or a 60mm? I've never heard of a Nikon AIs 50mm macro.

You're correct, it is a mistake. It is 55mm Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
A Durst M370 Color enlarger with Schneider Componon 50mm f2.8 lens

lamp needs replacing - it'll probably cost an arm and a leg!

from Freecycle. Free!

I got the exact same, from Freecycle. Did I take it from you?

Just received a complete (bulb, condenser, ground glass, boxed) Meopta Opemus 6 black and white enlarger w/EL-Nikkor 80mm f5.6 lens both MINT for £11.5 + £9.98 postage from eBay. I was actually considering selling the Durst as it's bulkier and I couldn't use it due to lack of light bulb.

What do you recommend? Is the Durst worth keeping in this condition? It's too big and my wife isn't happy with that huge box under the bed. Convince me to shift it, or convince me to keep it?

Also other bargains:

Takumar 85mm f1.9 (in tatty condition, good glass but sticky aperture which I fixed) for £20. I love this lens.
Pentax 40mm f2.8 pancake in K mount (which is now in EF mount) for £25 posted.

+ Some other bargains that were too bargainous that I am too afraid to talk about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if it's a bargain or not... I just bought this lens for 40 euros on ebay, strangely I was the only bidder (very strange given the hype of the crazy fast crap lenses)... I will try to make a mount for it and take some pictures with this thing. Can't wait ! A f/0.75 !!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't sharp wide open and it doesn't have enough backfocus to be of any use other than macro on digital camera's. 40 euro still isn't expensive though, but don't expect any more use than paperweight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingRoach wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
A Durst M370 Color enlarger with Schneider Componon 50mm f2.8 lens

lamp needs replacing - it'll probably cost an arm and a leg!

from Freecycle. Free!

I got the exact same, from Freecycle. Did I take it from you?

Just received a complete (bulb, condenser, ground glass, boxed) Meopta Opemus 6 black and white enlarger w/EL-Nikkor 80mm f5.6 lens both MINT for £11.5 + £9.98 postage from eBay. I was actually considering selling the Durst as it's bulkier and I couldn't use it due to lack of light bulb.

What do you recommend? Is the Durst worth keeping in this condition? It's too big and my wife isn't happy with that huge box under the bed. Convince me to shift it, or convince me to keep it?

Also other bargains:

Takumar 85mm f1.9 (in tatty condition, good glass but sticky aperture which I fixed) for £20. I love this lens.
Pentax 40mm f2.8 pancake in K mount (which is now in EF mount) for £25 posted.

+ Some other bargains that were too bargainous that I am too afraid to talk about.

I think I still have the bulb for the Durst if you want it (somewhere!). the power supply was knackered. so the enlarger was 'recycled' the body may make a useful medium format camera.

I'll look for the bulb and let you know if I have it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could have been a great deal, turned out to be just a good deal.

Saw an ad for an "old camera" along with a grainy mobile phone photo of a Praktika with a telephoto lens mounted. The seller had no idea what lens it was, other than it being a telephoto, the aperture range was from 2.8 to 22 and mfd was 1.1 m (he never understood to take the cap off to read the name on the ring, even though I tried "coaching" him on where to find it). I realized it had to be a Meyer-Optik Orestor 100/2.8, and he was asking 15 € for it. Picked it up yesterday, along with a Pentacon 50/1.8 he didn´t mention in the ad, only to find it was the 6-blade version with auto aperture. I hadn´t done my homework and thought that all Meyers had 10+ blades and the change to six blades came when they changed the name to Pentacon...

Dirty and greasy, stuck aperture blades and a (for digital cameras) useless auto aperture, but managed to clean it and lock the pin to make it usable. All in all a good deal, now I just need to try it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Konica Hexanon 28/3.5 for $10. I bought it because it was cheap not that I have any use for it.
Bargain or not?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Smokes. Saw a Contax 193 on CL today, peeling and worn, but it had a Planar 50 1.4 on it that looked pristine. I talked the seller down a few bucks, $200 instead of $220, was her Grandmother's camera. I still agonized a bit, that's a good price but not the best ever for the Planar. When I got there, she said, oh yeah, I didn't mention it in the ad, but there's another lens in there. I felt around, Zeiss pouch, paid and left. There were 2 additional lenses in bag. Distagon 28/2.8 and Sonnar 135/2.8, mint with caps. My $200 deal turned out pretty good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenetik a very nice haul.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Holy Smokes. Saw a Contax 193 on CL today, peeling and worn, but it had a Planar 50 1.4 on it that looked pristine. I talked the seller down a few bucks, $200 instead of $220, was her Grandmother's camera. I still agonized a bit, that's a good price but not the best ever for the Planar. When I got there, she said, oh yeah, I didn't mention it in the ad, but there's another lens in there. I felt around, Zeiss pouch, paid and left. There were 2 additional lenses in bag. Distagon 28/2.8 and Sonnar 135/2.8, mint with caps. My $200 deal turned out pretty good!

You lucky son of a gun...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Bargain or not?

Great buy, especially if its the earlier type (with the serial number on the front ring and f16 as the smallest aperture). But even if it's the later compact one, $10 is hard to beat.
Is is a bargain? Is the Pope Catholic? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Himself wrote:
Bargain or not?

Great buy, especially if its the earlier type (with the serial number on the front ring and f16 as the smallest aperture). But even if it's the later compact one, $10 is hard to beat.

Thanks bud!
Don't know nothing about that Vatican dweller but the lens has those 2 features:serial number on the front ring and f16 as the smallest aperture.
What would be the value under those circumstances?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
konicamera wrote:
Himself wrote:
Bargain or not?

Thanks bud!
Don't know nothing about that Vatican dweller but the lens has those 2 features:serial number on the front ring and f16 as the smallest aperture.
What would be the value under those circumstances?

That's the 7 element version, nice lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at finding good deals...and my weekend yard sale hunting has proven fruitless so far.
In any case by far my best and only real bargain has been the Rokkor X 50mm 1.4, Minolta X-700 film camera, bag and a 200x Flash for $15 bucks Very Happy

Oh and I think I got a damn good price on a mint Canon FD100 F2.0 for $200 compared to current sales prices too.