Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Haul!

Great deal on the Retina IIIc -- even if it is a "small c", clean examples are bringing close to $100 here in the States. That Bolex 8mm -- I used to love getting a hold of those things back in my camera dealer days. I used to pick them up for cheap and usually sold them for cheap because there really wasn't much of a market. But they were so well made, I couldn't resist. Nowadays people are finally beginning to appreciate them for their build quality and their value is climbing. So, that was a good deal on the Bolex also, especially if it came with a desirable lens or lenses. And that Canon FL 85mm 1.8 -- you know, I'm a Canonophile from wayback and I've never seen an FL 85/1.8. I just checked US eBay and there are none listed. Googled it and found a guy who had one who mentioned he liked to use it wide open and that its value was between 100 and 200 euros. Closer to 200 euros I'm figuring because of its apparent rarity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Nice Haul!

Great deal on the Retina IIIc -- even if it is a "small c", clean examples are bringing close to $100 here in the States. That Bolex 8mm -- I used to love getting a hold of those things back in my camera dealer days. I used to pick them up for cheap and usually sold them for cheap because there really wasn't much of a market. But they were so well made, I couldn't resist. Nowadays people are finally beginning to appreciate them for their build quality and their value is climbing. So, that was a good deal on the Bolex also, especially if it came with a desirable lens or lenses. And that Canon FL 85mm 1.8 -- you know, I'm a Canonophile from wayback and I've never seen an FL 85/1.8. I just checked US eBay and there are none listed. Googled it and found a guy who had one who mentioned he liked to use it wide open and that its value was between 100 and 200 euros. Closer to 200 euros I'm figuring because of its apparent rarity.

Thanks for the input cooltouch,

Yeah I've been real lucky lately, it's been a rather steep learning curve over the last 12 months with what to look out for. The Bolex is lovely bought from the same bloke at the market as my first film camera a Yashica TLR for $10 which got this addiction going at full blast. The bolex came with one lens a Switar 12.5mm 2.5 which isnt too bad.

85mm in general are very hard to come by here, this was actually the first I have come across and the price is alot higher than I usually pay for a lens but i wasn't going to turn away Very Happy I don't even have an FD adapter, maybe I should just take the plunge into another mount type!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD and FL lenses can often be found for quite cheap. I've found that it depends on the seller's awareness of current market trends. For example, I have bought several excellent quality FD and FL optics for very little money from a local camera store who saw them as having very little value, and from individuals who also saw them in the same light.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: All is not well unless it ends well Reply with quote

OK, here is my superfantastic bargain of all time:

We all want to "buy low". And boy, did I ever:

Click here to see on Ebay

And that lens; yeah, I really wanted that lens.

So I won the auction. There was only just one small problem:

The seller never shipped my lens. Sad

I didn't lose money, unless you place significant monetary value on my time. But not having my lens, fairly won, is a tough penalty.

I guess the lesson is that, while it's most often good to "buy low", it's sometimes not good to buy too low! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
mo wrote:
Laughing For the total price you paid I think it's a good buy regardless of the mysterious "green line".perhaps someone else can speculate as to what it is....I am hoping for its just a reflection.

Yeah, me too. Fer shure!

I hope the front element is not deeply scratched or cracked.

I've been burned prior by Polyanna sellers. And this is a Polyanna seller if ever I've seen one! You never know with that ilk.

Still, as you point out, tough to pass up this lens for that money. I actually bid circa US$20 since I did not notice the green line. This one is gonna be a nail biter until it shows up.

The green line looks like a cracked UV filter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one of those crazy bargain prices people have posted here, but still quite cheap; Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 including 1:1 adapter for 80$. Some oil on one of the internal lenses according to the seller, so I will have to take it apart. To me, that's half the fun of buying lenses...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare for me to grab a bargain.
However I have found an excellent 50mm f1.4 Auto-Sears (XR-Rikenon) and accompanying 3X teleconverter for $39.99.
Very happy camper.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sears 1.4 is awesome! I just got one for $32. This style:

I also just picked up a G. Zuiko 1.4 for about the same price. It was described as "the lens has suffered a .75-inch dent in the metal rim around the outside of the lens glass. There is also a .25-inch crack in the lens glass directly under the dent.

I could tell from the photo that this was surely just a filter. After carefully removing the filter the lens is mint. Even the filter threads are unharmed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
My Sears 50/1.4 is in PK mount and is generally accepted as an XR-Rikenon make.
Yours looks to be M42 and from a different stable I would think.
I have often wondered about the M42 Sears lenses, and who was the parent manufacturer.
I will be interested to see the results.
Good find
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I have often wondered about the M42 Sears lenses, and who was the parent manufacturer.

It's widely accepted that the M42 Sears 1.4 was manufactured by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

significantimagery wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

It's widely accepted that the M42 Sears 1.4 was manufactured by Tomioka.

Good one.
It will be interesting to see the rendering of your images for that Tomioka quality.
Does the rear glass have a flat surface?
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Braun Paxina 29 for £8 - cheap because the seller wanted £15 postage. I persuaded him to let me use my usual courier to collect - under a fiver with £50 insurance. The high postage put off bidders. Total cost £12.75

the cam comes with filters and a hood and case. Sellers photo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I just got a Braun Paxina 29 for £8 - cheap because the seller wanted £15 postage. I persuaded him to let me use my usual courier to collect - under a fiver with £50 insurance. The high postage put off bidders. Total cost £12.75

Nice score - I really like the generation of tube cameras, that neatly side-step the bellows issue. Got a Paxina 35 a while ago and it's a nice little user.
I had my eye on that and was put off by the high postage, too. That, and being skint by another purchase.
Damned GAS. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a really bargain, but I finally managed to snare a Tamron SP350/5.6 lens today for under $300au.I have wanted this lens for so long,the only tiny issue it has a spot of fungus.I hope to recieve it within the next couple of days. Cool

I can say I well and truly broke the piggy bank on this purchase...I think it was worth it.

Last edited by mo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Nice score - I really like the generation of tube cameras, that neatly side-step the bellows issue. Got a Paxina 35 a while ago and it's a nice little user.
I had my eye on that and was put off by the high postage, too. That, and being skint by another purchase.
Damned GAS. Smile

I've got a 35 too! And I was skint by another purchase too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Not a really bargain, but I finally managed to snare a Tamron SP350/5.6 lens today for under $300au.I have wanted this lens for so long,the only tiny issue it has a spot of fungus.I hope to recieve it within the next couple of days. Cool

I can say I well and truely broke the piggy bank on this purchase...I think it was worth it.

500 USD value lens or even more ... so I count as bargain really, congrats!! ... and damn good..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bargain worth for 25 cents .. I paid 25 USD Smile to feed my curiosity, yes crap Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

I can say I well and truly broke the piggy bank on this purchase...I think it was worth it.

Way to go Moira - congrats.
OH Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OH,I am looking forward to trying this lens out and comparing it to the SP500/8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktica MTL50, Pentacon Auto MC 1.8/50, CZJ 2.8/29 and Hanimex 80-200 zoom. Free from a work friend. The Hanimex has a filter ring ding but all else is good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a tamron sp 300mm F5.6 for the equivalent of 11$. Very Happy Mint condition. I can't really do anything with it yet since I'm to use it
on my G5 and need a tripod holder for it. 600mm eqv is a bit too much handheld.
Kjell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Praktica MTL50, Pentacon Auto MC 1.8/50, CZJ 2.8/29 and Hanimex 80-200 zoom. Free from a work friend. The Hanimex has a filter ring ding but all else is good.

Can't get any cheaper than that. Lucky you.
I received a lens recently that had the filter ring dented in the post.
I was able to gently lever it back into shape well enough to accept filters again. I used a narrow shifting spanner with the jaws screwed up tight and took little "bites" each time.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belcanto wrote:
Picked up a tamron sp 300mm F5.6 for the equivalent of 11$. Very Happy Mint condition. I can't really do anything with it yet since I'm to use it
Kjell

Bargain indeed.
There is a thread here somewhere on modifying a Chinese Canon tripod ring to fit this lens - or a similar Tamron, I've forgotten.
Have fun
OH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
skida wrote:

Can't get any cheaper than that. Lucky you.
I received a lens recently that had the filter ring dented in the post.
I was able to gently lever it back into shape well enough to accept filters again. I used a narrow shifting spanner with the jaws screwed up tight and took little "bites" each time.
OH

When I do that I also put a piece of leather in between not to hurt the threads.
Kjell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Belcanto wrote:
Kjell

Bargain indeed.
There is a thread here somewhere on modifying a Chinese Canon tripod ring to fit this lens - or a similar Tamron, I've forgotten.
Have fun
OH

Thanks, I saw that somewhere too. I'll start of with trying to get an original tripod mount. If that doesn't work i'll get into DIY.
Kjell