Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye Reply with quote

I saw a copy of this lens in a local dealer.
Seems in mint condition.

I searched the forum but I could not find any info.
Seems to be a rare lens.

Does anybody have it?
Any comments on its optics?
I would appreciate a few sample photos.

I am thinking of buying an FD to EOS adapter and going to the store
to make a few shots of my own.


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use it need a superb glass adapter I don't know any is available or not.With crappy adapter it will be poor performer.

I found plenty of entries in Google.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetta_ch/sets/72157601471394348/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24036345@N04/3028278979/


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
To use it need a superb glass adapter I don't know any is available or not.With crappy adapter it will be poor performer.

This counts as cheap, I guess ?
Click here to see on Ebay

Attila wrote:

I found plenty of entries in Google.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetta_ch/sets/72157601471394348/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24036345@N04/3028278979/

Seems I have come to trust the forum too much Very Happy
This time I skipped Google and searched the forum directly.


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you would have to factor the cost of the adapter in, as well as the risk of not having a very good result with the adapter. Is the lens just at a good price, or is it at a bargain price?

If the price is low enough, you could consider a mount conversion on the lens...


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ask for 550 Euros.
Not quite a "bargain price".

Before doing anything, I will wait to see to what heights the price of the newly announced Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 fisheye zoom will rise.
With the 17mm Tilt-Shift they convinced me that they started to do a good job at Canon's wide-angle department.
However, they do charge accordingly (or more than accordingly).


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can forget glass adapters with short or shorter FD lenses. The IQ is more than bad. Glass adapters make "sense" only for longer focal length lenses like 135 or 200 mm.

Few month ago I made a short review here with a medium wide angle lens and you could see that the image corners were more than soft.

If you need a fish eye you can buy without any doubt the actual 15mm Canon EF lens for the same price. No need to wait for the new zoom which should be around 1500-1600 .

The 15mm is the sharpest lens I own in my collection but at the end the usage is limited.

Here a link to an actual shot with the 15mm fish eye

http://forum.mflenses.com/still-life-a40-b1-a-60-kilometre-festival-of-cultures-t30452.html



Wink


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Few month ago I made a short review here with a medium wide angle lens and you could see that the image corners were more than soft.


Ahh, but the 7.5mm circular fisheye has no corners! Mr. Green


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trifox might be able to convert it to EOS...


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Few month ago I made a short review here with a medium wide angle lens and you could see that the image corners were more than soft.


Ahh, but the 7.5mm circular fisheye has no corners! Mr. Green


Yes, that is right. I my opinion a lot less usable. The people use it and when the "aha-effect" is over such a lens is dead. At this focal length a Sigma lens is available.

Wink


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Few month ago I made a short review here with a medium wide angle lens and you could see that the image corners were more than soft.


Ahh, but the 7.5mm circular fisheye has no corners! Mr. Green


Yes, that is right. I my opinion a lot less usable. The people use it and when the "aha-effect" is over such a lens is dead. At this focal length a Sigma lens is available.

Wink

+1 !
100% with you. Fisheye lens effect gets old really fast. Ive used some and used software to "un-fisheye" the pictures and it was horrible.
Not really versatile...


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Yes, that is right. I my opinion a lot less usable. The people use it and when the "aha-effect" is over such a lens is dead.

Joosep wrote:
+1 !
100% with you. Fisheye lens effect gets old really fast.


As long as you only consider fisheye an "effect", then yes, it will get old quickly. Wink But once you understand fisheye as a perspective, then the lenses take on many more uses. Cool

Just my opinion. Wink


PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:


The 15mm is the sharpest lens I own in my collection but at the end the usage is limited.

Here a link to an actual shot with the 15mm fish eye

http://forum.mflenses.com/still-life-a40-b1-a-60-kilometre-festival-of-cultures-t30452.html
Wink


Nice photo Rolf!
Well, I got the 15mm fisheye a few months ago.
My main goal was spherical panoramas.
But I then realized that it was more useful than I thought, especially for landscapes.

Just keep an eye on your horizons. My 17mm would miss a lot here:



PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Attila wrote:
To use it need a superb glass adapter I don't know any is available or not.With crappy adapter it will be poor performer.

This counts as cheap, I guess ?
Click here to see on Ebay

Attila wrote:

I found plenty of entries in Google.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetta_ch/sets/72157601471394348/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24036345@N04/3028278979/

Seems I have come to trust the forum too much Very Happy
This time I skipped Google and searched the forum directly.


Smile Great Smile


PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye Reply with quote

I know this is a long ago thread. In case anyone is interested I've got the first prototype EdMika adapters from last night's development for the 7.5mm fisheye and 1. the pictures are very sharp, 2. the rear element does not hit any mirrors including the fat 5D2 one and 3. I love not having to focus. I'm still working on a fine calibration system (called an EdJuster http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/8151964036/in/photostream) before I release this 7.5 kit since it is critical that the flange focal distance is exactly right since you can't make up for any misalignment with a focus ring. My 5D3 took a hard fall with my 400mm 2.8 lens attached and my sensor is 0.002" too far back and this distance makes the fisheye that is perfect on an undamaged body, visibly less sharp on my hard hit 5D3.

I'll add this EdJuster system to most of my kits after allowing people to fine tune infinity at hard focus ring stop for quick finding, right now to ensure all lens calibrations can be handled I send out my kits thinner than needed giving beyond infinity focusing for most users.

-Ed Mika


PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye Reply with quote

Ed Mika wrote:
I know this is a long ago thread. In case anyone is interested I've got the first prototype EdMika adapters from last night's development for the 7.5mm fisheye and 1. the pictures are very sharp, 2. the rear element does not hit any mirrors including the fat 5D2 one and 3. I love not having to focus. I'm still working on a fine calibration system (called an EdJuster http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/8151964036/in/photostream) before I release this 7.5 kit since it is critical that the flange focal distance is exactly right since you can't make up for any misalignment with a focus ring. My 5D3 took a hard fall with my 400mm 2.8 lens attached and my sensor is 0.002" too far back and this distance makes the fisheye that is perfect on an undamaged body, visibly less sharp on my hard hit 5D3.

I'll add this EdJuster system to most of my kits after allowing people to fine tune infinity at hard focus ring stop for quick finding, right now to ensure all lens calibrations can be handled I send out my kits thinner than needed giving beyond infinity focusing for most users.

-Ed Mika


Please open a new topic to your adapter here

http://forum.mflenses.com/adapters-films-and-other-accessories-f10.html

I will make it to sticky for a while, to support you in this great development.


PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, I have reposted to that forum.


PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I've been reading this forum for ages but just decided to write my first post )
I have recently bought this lens and it's my first circular fish-eye.
When it arrived yesterday I have looked through the glass and the diaphragm at its widest aperture looks half-closed. I mean it looks like a hexagonal opening. When I close the diaphragm it goes properly through all the clicks and the opening gets smaller every time.
So I've been wandering if it is OK for this particular lens that at 5.6 the diaphragm is not completely open?


PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
Hi everybody!

I've been reading this forum for ages but just decided to write my first post )
I have recently bought this lens and it's my first circular fish-eye.
When it arrived yesterday I have looked through the glass and the diaphragm at its widest aperture looks half-closed. I mean it looks like a hexagonal opening. When I close the diaphragm it goes properly through all the clicks and the opening gets smaller every time.
So I've been wandering if it is OK for this particular lens that at 5.6 the diaphragm is not completely open?


I don't know the Canon 7.5mm Fisheye, but i know that there are some lenses which by default are "stopped down" a little bit. The Minolta Rokkor-PG 9.5/18mm Fisheye (an early Fisheye lens, released in 1966) is such a lens: It is stopped down about 2-3 EV by default. If its aperture would be removed, it would be around f4 or f5.6, but certainly not f9.5.
So it's not unlikely that Canon had encountered similar problems with their 7.5mm Fisheye ...

Stephan