Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uncommon primes roundup (2xFujinon, Tamron 28, Jupiter-3)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Uncommon primes roundup (2xFujinon, Tamron 28, Jupiter-3) Reply with quote

Hi All,

EDIT: Updated with images from Voigtlander 40/1.4 "Nokton Classic" http://forum.mflenses.com/uncommon-primes-roundup-2xfujinon-tamron-28-jupiter-3-t29379.html#1046564

Though I'm not a very active MF-lenses collector, I have recently acquired a few. Some, like 28mm Tamron, to shoot remaining film leftovers that I still keep in the fridge. Others, like Jupiter-3, for uniqueness and as a challenge to adapt.
Been using these for a few month now, and have finally decided to do a formal test, that can be presented for a public's judgment.

Please post your thoughts on these lenses, I'm especially interested in what you think about Jupiter-3 as a portrait lens on 4/3 digital.

All test shots are done on Panasonic GH1 digital camera. Panasonic 20mm/1.7 lens is used as a benchmark.

EDIT: Panasonic 20mm samples in this post are automatically software corrected in raw conversion utility.
EDIT2: See my other post http://forum.mflenses.com/uncommon-primes-roundup-2xfujinon-tamron-28-jupiter-3-t29379.html#1041239 for uncorrected samples of this lens

It is not a scientifically accurate test -- light conditions did change during the test, camera position was moved, and exposure was set to auto.
Each lens starts from full image and a 100% crop @ 8 that is followed by crops to the widest aperture for the lens.

Participants : X-Fujinar T 135/2.8, Tamron 28/2.5, Jupiter-3 50/1.5, X-Fujinon 50/1.9, Panasonic 20/1.7

First Panasonic 20/1.7 @ 2.8 to establish a baseline:

Tamron 28/2.5 @ 8

Tamron 28/2.5 @ 5.6

Tamron 28/2.5 @ 4

Tamron 28/2.5 @ 2.5

X-Fujinon 50/1.9 @ 8

X-Fujinon 50/1.9 @ 5.6

X-Fujinon 50/1.9 @ 4

X-Fujinon 50/1.9 @ 2.8

X-Fujinon 50/1.9 @ 1.9

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 @ 8

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 @ 5.6

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 @ 4

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 @ 2.8

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 @ 2.0

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 @ 1.5

X-Fujinar T 135/2.8 @ 8

X-Fujinar T 135/2.8 @ 5.6

X-Fujinar T 135/2.8 @ 4

X-Fujinar T 135/2.8 @ 2.8

Last edited by mutabot on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...on my monitor the Fuji lenses are not very good but maybe the small beam of sunlight into the lens doesn't help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Tests Reply with quote

Very useful! Thanks.

I particularly like the very contrasty light, as it demonstrates the flare at wide open of the older lenses which is an important asset, particularly on a 4/3 sensor.

It is inevitable that some image degradation occurs in such circumstances, but the other forms of test neglect the real use of these lenses and may be suspect from that point of view.

Please feel encouraged to continue!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaagh!! I hate to see lenses resting on their rear elements unprotected! Surprised Shocked Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Aaaagh!! I hate to see lenses resting on their rear elements unprotected! Surprised Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Don't worry - not every lens has glass as its rearmost resting point. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Interesting...on my monitor the Fuji lenses are not very good but maybe the small beam of sunlight into the lens doesn't help.

For me the Fuji 50/1.9 is a below average performer, but I'm actually surprised by the X-Fujinar T 135/2.8. It is sharp and contrasty even on 4/3 sensor.
Here is another example from X-Fujinar T 135/2.8:
and the fine print on containers is perfectly readable on enlargement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Yep, that's right, there was no glass to surface contact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutabot wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Yep, that's right, there was no glass to surface contact.

Good, glad to hear that. I'd made a mental note not to buy any lenses from you. Wink Btw, your shot of the containers is excellent - maybe a tighter crop would make it even better Question

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had high hopes for a few of those lenses but they all seem rather poor and the winner for me is the Panasonic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I had high hopes for a few of those lenses but they all seem rather poor and the winner for me is the Panasonic.

I heard that there was software correction on the m4/3 cameras when using their AF lens. It may be unfair when we compare it to other lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I heard that there was software correction on the m4/3 cameras when using their AF lens. It may be unfair when we compare it to other lenses.

wiki about CA wrote:
All Nikon DSLR's with C-MOS sensor and all Panasonic Lumix DSLR's, additionally some Nikon and Panasonic compact cameras, do such processing automatically in camera for JPEGs. Nikon DSLR's additionally store correction-data in RAW-files for use by Nikon Capture, View NX and some other RAW tools

Sony sensor of Nikon have also hardware noise reduction that cannot be removed from raw
distortion, Ca, vigneting, colors will be soon tweaked in all cam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be a bit more fair to Panasonic Lumix 20mm lens, I'm posting uncorrected samples @ 2.8 and 1.7 apertures below:

Panasonic Lumix 20mm @ 2.8 full shot and crop

Panasonic Lumix 20mm @ 1.7 crop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now let's add Voigtlander 40/1.4 "Nokton Classic" to this test.
Focused at "U" on the lens cap.

Full image @ 8

Crop @8

@5.6

@4

@2.8

@2

@1.4