Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiralite 72mm Haze 2A Lens 17" long
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Spiralite 72mm Haze 2A Lens 17" long Reply with quote

Wow I didn't know they made Haze filters 17" long. Laughing
That was the listings title. 17" inches long should be 500mm plus.
The 400mm's were 14", I believe.

If the condition matches the description, I just got very lucky Very Happy
Here is a link to the lens I won. Looks like a Spiratone to me.
Got it for $5.13 US plus $10.05 shipping. $15.13 total.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPIRALITE-72-MM-HAZE-2A-LENS-MADE-IN-JAPAN-17-LONG_W0QQitemZ380220648394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5886eaabca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a 500, but in second photo Spiralite filter is screwed between lens & a 3" hood...my guess is 400/6.3 Spiratone, maybe Sharpshooter. Great deal either way!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice....and cheap!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a deal! You'll definitely have to update us on the condition and post some samples once you receive it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Maybe a 500, but in second photo Spiralite filter is screwed between lens & a 3" hood...my guess is 400/6.3 Spiratone, maybe Sharpshooter. Great deal either way!

I think your right I blew up the pic and I agree. Looks like a 400mm with hood. Shape wise it does look like a Sharpshooter.

I can't wait to see what it is. I will post pics of it when I get it, and some test photos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone.

It shipped today Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today Very Happy Condition a couple very small paint chips. I don't think this lens was ever mounted to a camera.
It is not a Sharpshooter, but the regular 400mm f6.3 lens. This is one of the nicest I've seen.

Now for the bad news. It is not a t-mount. Surprised Sad It is a fixed mount Canon FD. Yes , if you remember I bought a Seimar 400mm f6.3 and that was also a fixed mount. This is a new one on me I thought all Spiratones were T-mount.

By the way as I expected the rear extension tubes are identical. You can put a Spiratone extension tube on a Seimar and vise-versa.

Now I have two lenses with Canon mounts. The search for a Canon camera starts now. I will post pictures later today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick pics.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side by side. Spiratone is on left and Seimar is on right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't use either one then? Bummer... Sad

Had you thought about modifying the lenses - converting them to a different mount?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
So you can't use either one then? Bummer... Sad

Had you thought about modifying the lenses - converting them to a different mount?

I thought about it, but I don't have a metal lathe. If I did I could turn the inner part of a t-2 adapter down, and drill and tap it for set screws.
If I can find another Spiratone or Seimar dirt cheap maybe a damaged one, I could by it for the rear tube. This time I will make sure it's a t-mount.
Anyone with any idea's please post them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I thought about it, but I don't have a metal lathe. If I did I could turn the inner part of a t-2 adapter down, and drill and tap it for set screws.

Could you post a few pictures of the mounts, as well as the adapters? Some of the T & T2 adapters are actually a two-piece construction, so you can remove the inner part and get just what you wanted- a T2-ish adapter with a wide throat and set screws. Cool

Alternately, if the lenses are native Canon mounts, depending on the construction, you might be able to convert the mount without having to do any machining or using any adapters. I was able to do this with a Soligor 28mm lens:

You can read the whole process at: http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-28mm-f2-8-canon-fl-to-nikon-f-conversion-guide-t24979.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a quick glance youd think these were t-2 but they aren't. This is a couple pics from the Seimar lens.The Canon mount is held on to the lens tube with 3 set screws no threads. The lens tube has a flange on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you or anyone on this forum has a T-2 to M42 adapter, can I get a measurement of the inside diameter with the threaded insert removed.
I was wondering if I could tighten the outside part of a T-2 down on my mounting flange with the existing set screws. I bet it would be to loose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
At a quick glance youd think these were t-2 but they aren't. This is a couple pics from the Seimar lens.The Canon mount is held on to the lens tube with 3 set screws no threads. The lens tube has a flange on it.

I have a Caon T-mount that looks just like the one in your pics. Are you sure that flange doesn't unscrew from the lens barrel?

All T-mounts I've owned or seen have two or three set screws that hold the outer "ring" secure to the inner ring. Their purpose is so that once the T-mount has been tightened on the lens, the set screws can be loosened and the outer mount ring rotated so that the index marks, etc., are at the top of the lens once it's mounted to the camera. Tighten down the set screws, and the T-mount is now indexed to that lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that the lens flange is removable.You'd have to remove a set screw that was loc-tited in at the factory. But what good would that do?
I'd still need a T-mount to screw into the lens tube to put a T- mount adapter on. Right?

I've never had a T-mount lens before so this is new to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
But what good would that do?
I'd still need a T-mount to screw into the lens tube to put a T- mount adapter on. Right?

I think what cooltouch is saying is that he thinks your lens *is* a T-mount lens, and you have simply removed half of the adapter instead of the whole adapter.

So what you can try doing is putting the Canon bit back on, tightening up the set screws, and then try twisting it off. Ideally, that part with the V-shaped groove in it will unscrew from the lens, and stay captive to the Canon mount.

At that point, you could pick up a cheap T-mount adapter and thread it onto your lens and be back in business. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying. If I remove it I still wouldn't have a T-mount tho. I would have the threaded tube that the T-mount mounts in.
A T-mount is a male thread and the T-mount adapter is female. Correct.

What I need is the actual T-mount, and a T-mount adapter.

Or would a reverse T-mount work. One just came up on Ebay.

Sorry this is confusing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/REVERSE-TO-T-MOUNT-ADAPTER-M42-NIKON-MINOLTA-MC-MD_W0QQitemZ190383979891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item2c53c4fd73

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you wouldn't have the correct male threads on the lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch
Quote:
I have a Caon T-mount that looks just like the one in your pics. Are you sure that flange doesn't unscrew from the lens barrel?

I agree with cooltouch, that should unscrew off with some persuasion . Looks like the inside ring of a T-mount or a T2- mount adapter, after the set screws have been removed.
Hope I'm not adding to the confusion here. Is your camera a Minolta ?

This first image is of a T-mount adapter for Minolta, and the second one is of the set screws unscrewed, and the inner ring pulled out - I noticed its identical to the end of your lens ,after you unscrewed the set screws and removed the canon mount.

Hope this helps in addition to what "Scheimpflug" is saying .Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Your right. I had assumed it was a permanent mount, because it wouldn't come off. I had tried the Seimar before and it wouldn't budge.

It took some pressure, probably hadn't been off since new,but iit came off.
And your right it is a T-mount. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So now I can order 2 adapters one Md for my Minolta, and a M42 so I can use my Yashica.

Thanks again, Walter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what time do people in NC go to bed? walter Smile, it would be nice to see some bird pics from NC once you get your mounts. I am assuming NC for North Carolina right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
what time do people in NC go to bed? walter Smile, it would be nice to see some bird pics from NC once you get your mounts. I am assuming NC for North Carolina right?

Yes I'm in Eastern North Carolina.I'm hoping to get some good bird photos, and if I'm lucky some alligator photos. I will take them from a safe distance. Laughing

I'm self employed now, but my last job was working at night. It pretty much messed up my sleeping schedule. 3am to 4am bedtime is normal for me now.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW! It's been a month since I started this post. I ordered a Md t mount adapter and received it yesterday. I'm picking film up today. So I can finally test, both the Spiratone 400 f6.3 and Seimar 400 f6.3.
It should be interesting, both lenses appear to be made by the same company, but the rear optical groups are different.
I also ordered a set of tubes from Roxsen. They total out to 56mm.

One of the options for the Spiratone was a 60mm close focus tube. So I'm planning to try the Roxsen tubes on it to see how well they do.I might
order a second set of tubes, to give me exactly 60mm. The big tube in the set being 30mm.

Pictures to follow after processing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never posted a single test shot. Embarassed
I've started to get interested in Moon shots, so I thought I'd give this lens a go. Well, I need a better tripod, and a remote shutter release, then I might be getting close.

Anyway here you go.

Shot at f8 with minor PP and standard sharpening.Any comments are welcome.