Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma DP1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with this nice camera.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
Here she is before i fit the grip, and screen protector. I have bought both hoods, the 46mm Sigma one and the 52mm lensmate one.

Congratulations! Glad you were able to make it in before that deal ended. Cool

Which hood did you buy for the Lensmate adapter? Question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scheimpflug,

I have not bought any accessory lenses yet, the 46mm and 52mm hoods were mainly for ND filter use.

It seems like i timed it well, it looks like they are $470 now. Still a bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
I have not bought any accessory lenses yet, the 46mm and 52mm hoods were mainly for ND filter use.

Ahh, thought they might have come out with something new.

Just to avoid any confusion, the Lensmate tubes are just adapter tubes - not hoods. Wink So to finish the package, you will probably want to pick up a 52mm hood for the Lensmate adapter.

Here's an example... pretty sweet looking if you ask me. Cool
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tetsu_sawamura/3207218514

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the term hood as it is what Sigma call their 46mm adapter..

That DP in the link looked great.

What if anything are you using for a strap?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
I just used the term hood as it is what Sigma call their 46mm adapter..

That DP in the link looked great.

What if anything are you using for a strap?

Yeah, I agree, the Sigma marketing is a bit odd. But as you know, it is in fact two separate pieces from Sigma.

For a strap, I use a shoelace tied through the right-hand strap anchor. It works perfectly. It's comfortable, it's strong, you can put your hand through it and pick it up one handed, it doesn't get caught around your neck, the camera won't fall as far if you drop it (compared to a neck strap), there is no plastic or buckles or clasps to scratch the camera, it was inexpensive, available in many colors (including black), discreet, steadies your grip while it is around your wrist, customizable to any length, you can put the camera in the pouch and carry it without removing the strap from your wrist, etc, etc, etc. Cool

I could take a picture of it if you would like. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoelace.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and they always come in pairs. Buy one, get one free! Very Happy Have any other cameras that need a strap? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see a pic of the shoelaced camera! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just acquired a DP1 today.
EUR 180 and I got everything: leather bag, flash, hood, filters (UV, FLD, Polarizer, Macro), extra battery. I only missed the would be nice hotshoe viewfinder.

Very nice results for the price.
A bit slow, but I don't care since I just do photo of buildings, railways, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Let's see a pic of the shoelaced camera! Wink

Here it is. Cool

I've had this shoelace in place since the day I received my DP1... almost two and a half years ago now. Shocked The strap has endured countless trips and tens of thousands of photos... so I'm pretty confident in the "design". Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty color (the shoelace). Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have picked you for an orange shoelace...black and white maybe... Laughing
Nice camera though! Shocked Looks smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange and black, the perfect setup for Halloween! Laughing

Looks cool! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this camera about a month back. Can say only one thing, superb... I havent touched my DSSLR after that. I en up using this camera for whole India trip
Slow, but who uses AF..Wink

I posted few pics of Qutub Minar and going to post more in next few days...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to find some info on differences between DP-1, DP-1s and DP-1x.
"s" solves some problem with reddish colours, right?
"x" should have improved AF and high-iso performance, but how much? is there any big difference?
or these differences doesn´t mean anything in practical using and i may pick any model?
i´d like to buy it for street/pub and travel photography, so fast AF and good high-iso performance is not minor to me

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
I was trying to find some info on differences between DP-1, DP-1s and DP-1x.
"s" solves some problem with reddish colours, right?
"x" should have improved AF and high-iso performance, but how much? is there any big difference?
or these differences doesn´t mean anything in practical using and i may pick any model?
i´d like to buy it for street/pub and travel photography, so fast AF and good high-iso performance is not minor to me

thanks

All of the Foveon sensor cameras are especially sensitive to exposure in the red channel... There have been changes to Sigma Photo Pro to help correct this when processing the X3F files, but you tend to learn to use some negative exposure compensation when you have bright red/orange/yellow subjects in view.

The fix in the DP1s was for the "red grid" problem - a reflection between the sensor microlenses and the IR filter which gave a blooming red or magenta dot pattern around bright highlights (the sun, etc).

I don't think the DP1x is out yet... so we will have to wait and see how big the improvements are. Wink

I can say that the autofocus on the DP1 is pretty slow, and is especially slow in low light. The Foveon sensors are not particularly good in high ISO situations, but they produce stunning images in good light... Would you be using a flash when in the pubs? Also, I'm not sure what your definition of "high ISO" would be... but ISO 400 is about where I stop on the DP1. At ISO 800 (the DP1's max), the colors take a real turn for the worst. I generally limit myself to ISO 50, 100, and 200. If 200 isn't enough, I find something to brace off of and use whatever shutter speed it takes. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very gun shy of high ISO when using all my Sigma cameras, most of my stuff is ISO50 on the SD14's.

Last weekend however i went out to try a lensbaby 2.0 that i had just bought, i fitted it to my SD14 and went looking for subjects. I saw a lyrebird so i had adjusted my ISO to 800 to try and get a shot, i failed dismally. Forgetting about the ISO setting i took this shot..

SDIM4355

Camera Make: SIGMA
Camera Model: SIGMA SD14
Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/1.1
Exposure Time: 0.001 sec (1/1250)
ISO: 800

When i got home and processed the image, i was stunned at how good an ISO800 image looked!

I still will stick to my usual 50/100, but i thought it was interesting that the image held up so well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug: i mainly use TriX at iso400 or iso800, so something like that is what i need. AF is quite important for me, as i shoot with manual SLR and can focus pretty fast - or at least pre-focus at some distance and then just shoot on f/8 or sth like that, focus covered by DoF

ad. dp-1x: at sigma website is some information on releasing in summer2010. it should have option of iso1600/3200 in raw and some improvements, i´d say same electronics like SD15.

rpo83: iso800? looks great, this quality is more than enough for my purposes:) maybe in bad light conditions it may be worse, but not much, right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
rpo83: iso800? looks great, this quality is more than enough for my purposes:) maybe in bad light conditions it may be worse, but not much, right?

Oh no, it can get much much worse. Wink

Steve's image may be a "keeper", but you can see the warning signs... particularly the magenta shift in the clipped reds, but also the lack of shadow detail, the low saturation, and the blotchy yellow & green patches. Neutral (Sorry Steve, I don't at all mean to be critical of your photo... Embarassed It's just the Foveon characteristics...)

Some additional post processing can help cover up some of these problems (Steve- I can give it a go on yours if you would like), but the blotchy color can be a genuine problem - particularly with skin tones. People are willing to accept or overlook quite a few faults in an image... but show someone a picture of them with color patches on their face, especially a female, and they will quite clearly let you know what they think of it. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have plenty of bad shots in my collection... so I could probably find some examples if you would like. Wink