Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Safari" brand lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: "Safari" brand lenses? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of the "Safari" lens brand? I assume that it is a rebranded generic... Google is of no help, as "Safari Telephoto" comes up with a bazillion results on what lenses to use for the lions and zebras. Very Happy

This particular one is a 300mm f5.5, in a Miranda mount.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting looking lens. Looks similar to a lot of third party lenses from that era. I'm sure Luis will be able to give you a good lead to go on, but for me the 'E' in the serial number usually indicates Sankor is the maker.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very similar to my Astronar 300mm does it have a plastic coating look to it?
Just looked at my lens and yes they are the same! The serial number is 556235E.M42 mount
This was the one I had the mount problems with in the fix it area of the forum.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, mo, that looks identical! Shocked Very close in serial number too!

What problem did you have with the mount, and what do you think of the lens quality/performance? Also, you mentioned "plastic coating look".. is the lens made of plastic? I don't own this one, these are just auction photos...

Also, ManualFocus-G, did Sankor make decent lenses?

Thanks. Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have to much expertise in the qualities of different lenses.By plastic coating I mean made of metal but with a smooth plastic texture/feel...arghhhh a bit hard to explain.Unlike the feel of a Takumar you feel the metal.It is a very solid lens.My photo samples possibly would not do it justice??
The mount I think had been forced so was very loose on the lens itself and I had to dismantle the rear part to tighten the screws to hold it on the lens more securely.I have a post somewhere but can not find it as I am sure you made some comments on it too on how to remove said mount.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connecting some topics in case anyone in the future stumbles onto this by a search. Wink

stuey's N.P.S. 400mm f5.9 also appears to be similar to these two lenses: http://forum.mflenses.com/nps-400mm-f5-9-t28392.html
Quote: