Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica BC 1 Shutter Speed Problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Praktica BC 1 Shutter Speed Problem Reply with quote

Hi there

I am new to photography and have recently been given a Praktica BC 1 film SLR.

I am having a problem with the automatic shutter speed, as when it is set to the automatic setting the LED in the viewfinder just flashes on "OVER" (even if i move the camera from looking into direct sunlight to a darkened room).

When I first got the camera I set the dial to automatic, and when looking through the viewfinder you could see the LED moving and setting the shutter speed depending on the amount of light coming into the lens. One day it just decided to not work, and I have tried changing the battery; however to no avail.

I can set the shutter speed manually and the pictures come out perfectly, however as I am new to photography it would be useful to be able to make use of the automatic function.

Any help would be much appreciated!

James

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! As I know those time in Eastern countries we didn't have first class electronic parts. I am unsure is it fixable on reasonable price or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't know this camera I'll try to give you some general tips. Have you tried what happens with a different lens? Check if the lens coupling with the camera is correct. Some lenses have a position on the aperture ring on which to set them in order to work in automatic modes, if so check it is in the correct position otherwise the meter will behave erratically. If the lens is also electrically connected to the camera check the contact points for oxidation or wear traces. Hope this helps a bit. And BTW welcome to MFL.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one.Do you have the manual for it.If not.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/praktica/praktica_bc1/praktica_bc1-splash.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your responses.

I have tried it with another lens and it is still doing the same thing, however if I take off the lens and then try it seems to work e.g. the LED's are moving indicating the shutter speed is changing.

I've cleaned the contacts on both the chassis and the lenses, so I'm pretty sure it isn't that.

If you have anymore suggestions again it would be greatly appreciated!

James

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Praktica BC 1 shutter speed problem Reply with quote

sss360 wrote:
Many thanks for your responses.

I have tried it with another lens and it is still doing the same thing, however if I take off the lens and then try it seems to work e.g. the LED's are moving indicating the shutter speed is changing.

I've cleaned the contacts on both the chassis and the lenses, so I'm pretty sure it isn't that.

If you have anymore suggestions again it would be greatly appreciated!

James

Hi James,
I am new to this forum so please excuse any errors or excesses of nostalgia!

I have recently bought a Praktica BC 1, very rare here in New Zealand. It had a problem metering on the automatic setting and would only meter when stopped down. I found the fault was a broken wire in the lens leading from the contacts to the variable resistor, turned out to be an easy fix!
I have just received a B mount Prakticar 135mm lens from the UK for it. I now have a nice three lens setup, 28mm 2.8 wide angle; 50mm 1.8 standard; 135 2.8 tele. My first SLR was a Praktica Nova 1B bought nearly 40 years ago, then an LTL. I have never forgotten that Praktica introduced me to SLR photography....fond memories!
I now have an digital SLR but I can't quit using film, still love the medium.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Russty, many thanks to joining us and share this great news !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1-post member helping a 2-post member... It doesn't get much better than that. Cool

Welcome to the forum, James & Russty55! It's good to see another Kiwi here. Cool