Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Variable Close-Up Ring (extension tube with helicoid)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Pentax Variable Close-Up Ring (extension tube with helicoid) Reply with quote

I'm going to be needing a short adjustable tube as a focusing device, and came across the Pentax "variable close-up ring".

Here are a few photos from http://whitemetal.com/pentax/ap_het/index.htm
http://whitemetal.com/pentax/ap_het/index.htm wrote:

This would seem to be exactly what I need, but I can't find any for sale to get a price reference. Google gives very few results, and ebay global doesn't list a single one! Shocked

Were these not a popular accessory? Have they all been snapped up by the collectors? Question

Last edited by Scheimpflug on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila (this forum owner) is selling what you need : Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax M42 comes in two variants, one called "helicoid extension tube", the other "variable close-up ring". I've got both and have not noticed any difference between them apart from the lettering. They are sought after both by collectors and users, very useful indeed. I haven't used the modern chinese helicoid rings, so I can't compare those two. The Pentax is definitely sturdier and smoother than the Zörkendorfer Mini Makro Schnecke. The only Pentax I come across now is rather expensive:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not try the pentax one but i think the quality of my chinese helicoid rings are quiet good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine for something like 55€ with case and manual, prices are generally between 60-90€ Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, everyone. I guess I will just have to keep looking and hopefully find one that the collectors have missed. Wink

dickb wrote:
The Pentax is definitely sturdier and smoother than the Zörkendorfer Mini Makro Schnecke.

I haven't heard of that one... Do you have any photos or information about it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_mima.htm

It has a double helicoid, long travel (26 to 60mm total length), very lightweight, not as precise to adjust compared to the Pentax and it rotates when focussing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Too bad it rotates, otherwise that is a very useful extension range. Do you know how much they cost?