Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Paterson super universal 4 system tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Paterson super universal 4 system tank Reply with quote

Hi all
I picked this up today at a cash converters shop for $5au...but got it home and realized it is missing the agitator part.Everything else is there....is it a big deal missing the agitator can I use something else instead?
I won't be developing for awhile, but since I have acquired this cheaply will it work as is + an improvised agitator?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's quite important to stir the chemicals every min...the only answer I can think of is to get a plastic or wood rod and sandpaper a taper at the end until it fits into the reel. If you can't be bothered... you can try to see if it is water tight by turning upside down OR turn the tank around smartly when level so the chemical solution moves inside.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5 for a Paterson! That's a great deal! Surprised

Excalibur has a good idea for making your own. However, I think it is pretty important that you get the rotational agitation in as well as the periodic inversions as required... I think that the main point of the rotational agitation is to break air bubbles free, and if you try to substitute this by extra inversions, you end up passing more bubbles past the film. (I could be wrong...)

If you feel like doubling your investment, it looks like the agitation sticks are available new as spares from Paterson. Wink
http://www.patersonphotographic.com/category.php?categoryID=1257

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ...very handy link scheimp! Very Happy Thanks for the pointers Excalibur on a DIY solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ignore the little agitation thingy after the lid goes on. By the time you pull the lid to agitate with that, then put the lid on for inversion, you are way past 30-40 seconds of folderole every minute. I have been happy with my negatives. But still, I use it to agitate to START developing, then use just inversion the rest of the time. I think you could make up a little device with popsicle sticks or something like that ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never home developed am I to assume you only use this stick to start the agitation then close the lid and flip it once or twice for the rest of the time?
http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Paterson/Developing_Tanks.html mine is the last photo on the right

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Having never home developed am I to assume you only use this stick to start the agitation then close the lid and flip it once or twice for the rest of the time?
http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Paterson/Developing_Tanks.html mine is the last photo on the right

Well you can be a stirrer or a flipper as long as you move the chemical around every min...........I've always been a stirrer with the rod as most of my developing tanks leaked when inverted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most of my developing tanks leaked when inverted

I guess this I will find out when I attempt my first Home development Very Happy Now I have actually held the tank and I am slowly understanding how it all works it does not seem to be as scary as first thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always test for leakage with plain tap water first. Wink

If you are developing a roll and it leaks too much, you would be at risk of losing enough of your chemicals to not cover the film completely! Best to know this in advance, so that you can accommodate the situation by using more of the chemicals or using more stick agitations than inversions. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want the rolling action of the agitator, you can do this: look for a rubber plug the right size for the opening, stopper it up, then roll the tank on your counter -- or in your bathtub if you're worried about it leaking. It shouldn't though . . . much.

Seems to me you should be able to buy the missing pieces? Far as I know Patterson is still in business.

Pattersons are nice. I have the System 4 tank that's about 10" tall. Have the agitator too, but I never use it. I've followed the flip-it-back-and-forth method ever since I got bad results one time from spinning my negs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested it using the amounts on the bottom of the tank 290ml... does that sound right? Happy to say no sign of any leaks....scheimp posted the Patterson website where you can still buy the stirrers...I was just trying to be cheap Very Happy I wonder would a cut down plastic chop stick do the job?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked, and B&H also sells the agitators separate. They have a good picture of them as well:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316843-REG/Paterson_SPTP109_Film_Tank_Agitator.html

I would think that anything with an appropriate slot would work... you might even be able to pick up a short piece of PVC pipe from the plumbing section of the hardware store, and just saw or file a notch into the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for a clear photo of the agitator to know what it is I am trying to reproduce...Thanks Very Happy If I understand right that slot fits into the centre columns "Little tabs" that you can see when you look down it and turns the whole thing.
Seems easy enough... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, 290 mls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never stir, I invert. So it's no big deal.

I gave my Paterson tanks and reels away to Poolhall when I bought steel reels & tanks. They are much easier to load (which was what I hated about the plastic stuff).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my System 4 tanks, but I never stir agitate, I always invert, as with my steel tanks, where you can't stir anyway. What's best about the System 4 tanks over steel ones is the speed with which you can pour in and pour out, which is far more useful, I think, than choice of agitation method.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
I like my System 4 tanks, but I never stir agitate, I always invert, as with my steel tanks, where you can't stir anyway. What's best about the System 4 tanks over steel ones is the speed with which you can pour in and pour out, which is far more useful, I think, than choice of agitation method.

Yes, slower on steel tanks.