Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No color from old Kodak C-41 film? (samples inside)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: No color from old Kodak C-41 film? (samples inside) Reply with quote

I have just had a roll of old C-41 Kodak Max 400 processed at a local lab, a roll out of a set of three that I picked up at a thrift store while traveling. The rolls were still in their black plastic containers, but not in the boxes, so unfortunately I have no idea how old the film is or how it was stored.

I wasn't expecting perfect results, but I was a bit surprised to examine the negatives, as I found that they had essentially no separation in the colors. Sad

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might have gone wrong? Is this just what film does when it ages or is stored improperly? Question

Here are the scans of the negatives, along with my best attempt at a color correction (including the orange mask removal):

Please forgive the composition - the camera is handmade, and doesn't yet have a viewfinder. Wink I can see that I still need to dial in the focusing and catch a few light leaks as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are poor results even for an expired film. I've run many expired rolls and never got such a result. Are you sure the camera is working properly?. If so, maybe the roll was damaged beyond useage...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm well colour neg and B/W film are quite tough but haven't used film left out in the desert for a few years Wink but at a guess (other than blaming the lab for shoddy work), could it be underexposed negs then cross processed i.e. E6 film in c41 chemicals or c41 film in E6 chemicals...............

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
These are poor results even for an expired film. I've run many expired rolls and never got such a result. Are you sure the camera is working properly?. If so, maybe the roll was damaged beyond useage...

I suppose "camera is working properly" is subject to interpretation. Very Happy The shutter only fires at 1/1000 (or perhaps just a bit faster?), so I loaded the ISO-400 film and was shooting at f/4 & f/8 in the sunshine. Wink

There's no meter and no viewfinder, so the fact that it advances film and produced images would probably be enough to call it "working" as far as the camera is concerned. Laughing

Excalibur wrote:
erm well colour neg and B/W film are quite tough but haven't used film left out in the desert for a few years Wink but at a guess (other than blaming the lab for shoddy work), could it be underexposed negs then cross processed i.e. E6 film in c41 chemicals or c41 film in E6 chemicals...............

I don't think they're underexposed... I can take a shot of the film strip tomorrow in the light, but the exposures actually look pretty good. The majority of the uneven look to the images here are actually from the slide duplicator I'm using to "scan" them... it needs just a bit more diffusion for the light behind it.

The film is C-41, and nobody does B&W locally, so I suppose E6 development is the only cross-processing possibility? Would that produce this type of result?

The images are interesting, when the orange mask is removed and the images are inverted, the resulting image has essentially no data in the blue channel. The histograms look reasonable for the red and green, but the blue is pretty much nonexistent. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks either they kept the film in the shop window exposed to elements for ages or ran it through expired chemistry (possibly even both of them). I feel to exclude x-pro, in such case the mask should be on the turquoise side rather than the usual orange.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made a parallel thread over at the APUG forums, and a member there clued me in on the problem. The incandescent light source I was using behind the slide duplicator didn't have enough blue light to overcome the orange mask in the film. Embarassed
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/85814-no-color-old-kodak-c-41-film-samples-inside.html

I don't have any bright blue lights, so instead I picked a light blue color and displayed it full-screen on my monitor, and used that as the backlight for the slide duplicator. It wasn't nearly as bright as using an incandescent light behind it, so my exposure times were really long (4+ seconds)... Here is the blue color that I used:

... and here are the results! Cool

As you can see, they are substantially improved! Surprised

I do need to find a better blue light source though... Does anyone have any ideas? Question

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a flash with a blue gel ? That would be triggered with a sync cable, just behind the film holder, direct or reflected from a white surface.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Re No Colour from Kodak Max film Reply with quote

Scheimpflug: How far past date was the film? How badly was it stored?

Does anyone know where the blue-sensitive colour layer is in the emulsion? I wondered if that is why the film has not responded to blue light correctly.

I am particularly interested because I have a few boxes of this very film. I now think that as they are all past date they might be suspect.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have no idea how old the film was or how it was stored. The film came along with an Olympus Superzoom 80G which I had purchased from a thrift store, together in a little plastic bag.
http://forum.mflenses.com/olympus-superzoom-80g-t34903.html

The Olympus was in *mint* condition with zero signs of wear or even any dust in the gaps in the plastic body, so I suppose I could assume that the film was purchased around the same time as the camera and they were simply never used. If so, that would place the date somewhere in the early 2000s? The only date reference I have is the downloadable owners manual from Olympus, which has a 2002 date on it...

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the color issues were almost entirely a result of my capture setup with the slide duplicator, particularly the color balance of the backlight. I would experiment with it more, but I think I'm just going to buy a "real" scanner instead. Wink

How out of date is your film?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they may have been made for the the old C22 process