Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kenko/Tokina/Hoya about to unveil their C-mount Digicam!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Kenko/Tokina/Hoya about to unveil their C-mount Digicam! Reply with quote

Looks interesting!

Finally all those fast zooms and other lenses that don't cover the 4/3 sensor might be usable!

Needs a raw mode and movie capture imo though...

http://photorumors.com/2011/01/31/kenko-to-unveil-their-interchangeable-lenses-digital-camera-tomorrow-c-mount/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Sounds like the sensor will be tiny though, so depth of field may not be much better than that of a compact.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think it's going to be a 6x crop in comparison to a 35mm frame so it's just a normal compact camera sensor. Depth of field won't be anything special but you will still get the light gathering benefit of the fast aperture lenses at least.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would just be nice to have ANYTHING to screw those lenses on that vignette too much on m43!

Maybe that's what they are thinking and have spotted a niche in the market.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
It would just be nice to have ANYTHING to screw those lenses on that vignette too much on m43!

This same comment comes up time and time again... but something is always missed.

Why not just crop your m4/3 images? Question The end result (physical sensor area covered by the lens) is the same... and you gain the flexibility to crop the images from different lenses to different amounts, to maximize the usable image area. You also gain the ability to crop to custom aspect ratios, particularly square.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I tried to crop a 10-100mm F/1.2 zoom that gives a circular image on my G1 I could end up with a 2mp image but with this kenko camera I would have a full 14mp image with a 35mm equivalent of a 60-600mm

I agree you can crop but the more you have to crop the more resolution you lose and It's not really fun trying to frame images according to how much you're going to need to crop them later on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
If I tried to crop a 10-100mm F/1.2 zoom that gives a circular image on my G1 I could end up with a 2mp image but with this kenko camera I would have a full 14mp image with a 35mm equivalent of a 60-600mm

That's a point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make a 75mm f1.5 c-mount a really fast 450mm eq Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a 288mm F/1 Shocked

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENTAX-Zoom-lens-TV-Cine-8-48mm-f1-0-C-Mount-/270700266903?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item3f06fe4597

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why I thought that 16mm film for which was c-mount developed has 3x crop =/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sensor will be smaller than 16mm film but I'm not entirely sure actually, the 6x crop is only speculation so far!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently Pentax are about to announce an ultra compact mirrorless cam with 5.6x crop sensor so that's the Kenko out of the running! I can't see the Kenko being a better choice for C mount lenses even with a native c mount. The Pentax will almost certainly have RAW and Movie modes along with better build and image quality. It's stll going to be noisy though!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
It's stll going to be noisy though!

That's the point.
And also that's why I slightly afraid about m4/3.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

That's the point.

The Pana GH2 is already en par with the Pentax K20/K7.
Go check DXO Mark.
The only problem I have with µ-FT is that all my lenses become teles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the GH2 is anything like my G1 then raw files shot with adapted lenses will come out nosier than raw files taken with native mount lenses for some strange reason. I know the cameras apply distortion and vignetting correction but they also seem to modify noise response even on raw files.

A shot taken at iso 800 with the kit lens is almost as clean as one taken at iso 200 with a manual lens even when care is taken to assure no underexposure occurs.

Even at base iso areas of consistent colour like blue skies have visible noise with adapted lenses but are smooth without.

Once you've tweaked contrast and curves even iso 100 files start to look like they could use a round of noise reduction.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
spleenone wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

That's the point.

The Pana GH2 is already en par with the Pentax K20/K7.
Go check DXO Mark.
The only problem I have with µ-FT is that all my lenses become teles.

Gh2 has a 2x crop mode for stills that adequately covers a 2/3" format lens. A lot of C-mount lenses were developed for 1" and 2/3" cctv cameras.

Also, in ETC 1080 mode, crop factor become 2.6x (or about 9mm diagonal) translated, that means you can use 16mm cine and B4 eng video lenses without any vignetting.

In ETC 720 mode tha crop further increases to 3.9x and make possible use lenses devoleped for 1/3" sensors...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaman wrote:

Gh2 has a 2x crop mode for stills that adequately covers a 2/3" format lens. A lot of C-mount lenses were developed for 1" and 2/3" cctv cameras.

Also, in ETC 1080 mode, crop factor become 2.6x (or about 9mm diagonal) translated, that means you can use 16mm cine and B4 eng video lenses without any vignetting.

In ETC 720 mode tha crop further increases to 3.9x and make possible use lenses devoleped for 1/3" sensors...

Terrific but clarifying. More I know about m4/3 (or NEX) video capability more I dislike that system (that model). =/
Question is how you could make wide shot with that crop factors?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
gaman wrote:

Terrific but clarifying. More I know about m4/3 (or NEX) video capability more I dislike that system (that model). =/
Question is how you could make wide shot with that crop factors?

Forgive me if you already know but when he refers to the etc those are additional modes. You can use a normal 2x crop which downsized the whole frame to 1080 or 720 or you use the etc mode with just takes the central 720 or 1080 portion of the image giving a higher crop but these modes are optional and normal video on the gh2 is only 2x crop, still not wide but I thought you might have gotten the wrong impression that you could only use a 2.6 or 3.9 crop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:

Forgive me if you already know but when he refers to the etc those are additional modes. You can use a normal 2x crop which downsized the whole frame to 1080 or 720 or you use the etc mode with just takes the central 720 or 1080 portion of the image giving a higher crop but these modes are optional and normal video on the gh2 is only 2x crop, still not wide but I thought you might have gotten the wrong impression that you could only use a 2.6 or 3.9 crop

Thank you Dave. That's appeasing.
Appreciate any info about m4/3 as I dreaming about perfect body with such small sensor. I afraid that I will wait for Oly e-p3 if they invent some =D
Still I have to spare enough bucks for body, adapters and at least for one cine glass.