Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just won a Vivitar Series 1 28-90 2.8-3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Just won a Vivitar Series 1 28-90 2.8-3.5 Reply with quote

Won it for $26 at the last minute and looks like it's in good shape. I've been needing a standard zoom that had a little more reach than my Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and it looks like this one fits the bill perfectly. Can't wait to get it in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations! Great price for an interesting lens. I have heard some good things about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn about your new lens here.

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Edit: OOps, I misread the FL in your post.

Last edited by revers on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Congrats for the bargain, this one was one of my dream lenses when i was shooting film ...

I hope that you will soon post some sample shots here Wink

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28-90 is one of the lenses I was hoping would come in at a good price eventually. I've really needed a good "front camera" lens that I could use when I'm able to be positioned at the front of the ceremony relatively near the bride and groom. The Tamron 17-50 2.8, while a great lens, just doesn't have enough reach for a wedding ceremony when I'm a little too close for a 70-200 so it's a nice middle lens. I can see it also being really useful for preceremony where things might move too fast for changing of lenses. Lots can happen in those precious few seconds changing glass. In other words, from a strategic standpoint, it's going to be a very useful lens in both focal range and aperture range. The fact that it's supposed to be excellent optically is just icing on the cake. I'm really excited about getting it in and I'll try to post some video taken with it as soon as possible.

Chris W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it in today and I can tell this is a lens I'll be using alot. The macro on the 28 end is insane! I can literally shoot right on top of the subject and it'll still be in focus. What's funny is that even though it's a standard zoom lens, it's almost the same size as my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5 second edition. It's deals like this that make me a fan of manual focus lenses!

Chris W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:
What's funny is that even though it's a standard zoom lens, it's almost the same size as my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5 second edition.

Happen to have a picture of the two together?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Chris Watson wrote:
What's funny is that even though it's a standard zoom lens, it's almost the same size as my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5 second edition.

Happen to have a picture of the two together?

Will take some pics later but I'm pretty surprised at the size of the thing. From the little testing I've done with the lens, the image quality is pretty nice. I'll see if I can post some test footage soon.

BTW, the lens is made by Komine. Don't know if that means anything or where it ranks with the other versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of the new lens and how it compares in size to my other glass....

From left to right: the Vivitar 70-210 3.5 (second version by Tokina), Vivitar 28-90 2.8-3.5 (made by Komine) and the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC.

Keep in mind, this is the 28-90 in its most compact configuration. When zoomed into 90mm, it's almost as tall as the 70-210.

Here's a top down view of the lens.....

The glass is super clean.

Finally, what it looks like mounted on the t2i.....

I'm a little backed up with work right now, so I haven't had time to do some serious shooting with the lens. All I have so far are random cat shots and who really wants to see that? Suffice it to say, I'm pretty stoked about having a lens with such a useful focal range in my arsenal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a filter on it in the first picture? I actually like the way it looks with the chrome accent. Very Happy

Also, what is the tape for on the Canon?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Is that a filter on it in the first picture? I actually like the way it looks with the chrome accent. Very Happy

Also, what is the tape for on the Canon?

Yeah, that's an FD filter on there and I agree it kinda looks bad ass. I think it reduces light sensitivity though so I probably won't use it while filming. The lens is in surprisingly great shape for the cost. It's almost new.

The tape on the Canon was to hold a windscreen on over the onboard mic for outdoor shooting. Didn't quite work out though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the filter isn't any good, you could always punch out the glass and just mount the ring. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:

BTW, the lens is made by Komine. Don't know if that means anything or where it ranks with the other versions.

1- ALL Komine (no known exception) made are TOP quality (ie the vivitar s1 komine version -3rd- is the best)

2- The lens is made by komine but designed by opcon

Last edited by PBFACTS on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Chris Watson wrote:

1- ALL Komine (no know exception) made are TOP quality (ie the vivitar s1 komine version -3rd- is the best)

2- The lens is made by komine but designed by opcon

I did some testing yesterday with the lens and your praise of Komine is justified. The imagery from the lens is very very nice indeed. I'm uploading some selected raw footage from just shooting around the house and I'm amazed at how it looks. It'll be up in a few hours.

Chris W

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PBFACTS"]
Chris Watson wrote:

1- ALL Komine (no know exception) made are TOP quality (ie the vivitar s1 komine version -3rd- is the best)

2- The lens is made by komine but designed by opcon[/quote

+1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there was a break in the rain yestereday and I got to test out my Vivitar 28-90 some. It's just selected raw footage. At the 2:15 mark you can check out the excellent macro capabilities of this lens. It's unreal. Over all, really happy with my purchase and can't wait to use it on an upcoming shoot. Here's the clip!

http://vimeo.com/13039713

Chris W