Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it true that NEX has 7 fps????
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Is it true that NEX has 7 fps???? Reply with quote

If so, how come they have managed to achieve this?

It may be that I am misinformed?????

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you shot raw not true.
it may be true for jpeg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony says 7 fps "with exposure and focus fixed at the first frame," but does not mention whether this is raw or jpg. I'm figuring it's jpg. It also mentions a "standard" frame rate of 2.3 fps.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666192672#features

One reason why the NEX 5 can hit this high frame rate is -- obviously -- because it doesn't use a mirror. The shutter and the shutter button are really the only moving parts during this activity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH2 has unlimited 40FPS shooting. The FPS war has began Laughing

It is possible with jpg only and with reduced quality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
One reason why the NEX 5 can hit this high frame rate is -- obviously -- because it doesn't use a mirror. The shutter and the shutter button are really the only moving parts during this activity.

Yep, that's it.

But even traditional SLRs with moving mirrors are getting up there. For example, the EOS 7D manages 8fps, the EOS-1D Mark IV can shoot 10fps, and the Nikon D3S can do 9 in FX mode and 11 in DX mode! Shocked

aleksanderpolo wrote:
GH2 has unlimited 40FPS shooting. The FPS war has began Laughing

It might be heating up for the m4/3 category... but compact cameras have already hit 1200 fps (Casio Exilim EX-F1). Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 40fps is for video mode. The Nex and a bunch of others now shoot at 1080p, some with speeds over 30 fps. Dunno what the Nex's 1080p max frame rate is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, the 40fps is for video mode.

From a technical perspective, it would be silly to use anything other than a video mode for these high-speed bursts. Wink The video modes are more efficient for the filesystem (fewer and larger files), easier to pipeline for the image processing, and much more efficient for overall storage space due to the motion & change-based compression codecs used. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks, guys! Reply with quote

The sooner we get an LCD shutter the better!

7 frames p.s. is good, obviously no refocus, or exposure comp is fair enough.

For the price, this is some performance! When Sony sort out their menu system, I will be very interested as the sensor will complement the m4/3 system, allowing one lens to have two focal lengths.

Glad to see the number of replies as I was getting worried that Sonmy might have produced a lemon. They seem to be talking up the prospects for these cams, but the reality as we all know, often is different.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Well, the 40fps is for video mode.

From a technical perspective, it would be silly to use anything other than a video mode for these high-speed bursts. Wink The video modes are more efficient for the filesystem (fewer and larger files), easier to pipeline for the image processing, and much more efficient for overall storage space due to the motion & change-based compression codecs used. Cool

All undoubtedly true. My comment was intended to indicate more that the file size in megapixels will be quite a bit smaller than that used in still mode.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump, but I just did a quick test.

The 7fps is with jpeg, no refocus. Pretty much unlimited if using a fast enough card.
With raw it's the same speed, but the buffer runs full after 5 or so.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaccoW wrote:
Sorry to bump, but I just did a quick test.

The 7fps is with jpeg, no refocus. Pretty much unlimited if using a fast enough card.
With raw it's the same speed, but the buffer runs full after 5 or so.

Thanks, JaccoW, and welcome to the forums. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have mentioned this in another topic, but I had the chance to play around with the NEX 3 the other day, and was rather impressed by it. It had the 18-55 zoom mounted, and I was quite surprised by how well damped both its zoom and focusing rings were. Sure enough, when set to multiple exposure mode, it blazes right along at what I must assume to be 7 fps. I found it to focus rapidly and follow focus quite well, too. Big pluses as far as autofocus goes. But if I were to buy one of these NEXes, it would be so I could use my manual lenses with it, and for that the metering patterns and accuracy become more important.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scheimpflug. Smile
I've been reading various lens reviews on these forums for a while, so I thought I'd register. Wink

@Cooltouch: Yes the 18-55 is quite nice, but I wanted to try some nice and especially faster manual focus lenses.
A couple of weeks ago I had to resort to manual focus when using the camera in (very) low light conditions because autofocus just wasn't fast enough. I quite liked working like that.

So now I got a pentacon 200mm F4.0 with a CZJ 50mm F1.8 and a Pentacon 30mm F3.5 on the way. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Be sure to keep us informed.