Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DSLR Sensor cleaning...I spent the day looking....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Thanks Paul
I have seen eclipse on a US website but you can not get it posted because of what it is.

I think Adorama or Henry's in Canada posted my last supply to me (50ml lasts years). It may or may not have been illegal but at least it arrived.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hi Scheimp
How do you find it in NZ?... any luck with cleaning kits?

They're pretty easy to get here. Not the high end name brand kits, but you could probably find "something" with a squeeze bulb and a brush tip in just about any bigger town, sometimes even at the corner pharmacy.

Genuine camera stores, however, are few and far between. Neutral Batteries, a bag here and there, flimsy tripods, lens caps, and memory cards are about all you can find. Just the basic accessories that tourists are likely to need. Oh, and incredibly expensive film. Neutral

Esox lucius wrote:
If you think 100 EUR is too much money for a DSLR accessory which in practice is indispensable then DSLR is the wrong camera for you.

I suppose it depends on the camera... It's half of the price of a replacement D40, so it certainly wouldn't be worth it for me. Wink

That being said, I have never yet had any dust serious enough to require actually touching the sensor to clean it. A puff of air has always been sufficient. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Swiss AF blower which I'm happy with. I bought mine off ebay but it's also used by watch repairers, so maybe a watch repair shop might know if there's anywhere to buy one locally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mo,

This Aussie site sells Copper Hill cleaning kits.

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/copper-hill-dslr-sensor-care-c-33.html

From all the reports i read, these seemed one of the best solutions available. I have bought a kit, but i haven't cleaned my sensor yet Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I had to physically clean a sensor was my Olympus E-410

I used Iso on a cotton swab and then used another cotton swab to buff the sensor afterwards! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

It worked fine with no apparent ill effects.

I don't think I would ever do it again though, I had just got the camera off ebay and was impatient at work!

It was probably a miracle that I didn't wreck the thing but the filter in front of the sensor is apparently more robust than it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I have the need to clean the sensor as there are 2 stubborn spots that are clearly visible when shooting anything involving the sky,always in the same area.I have used the dust removal shake of the Pentax but they remain so I am assuming it is stuck on the sensor Sad
Thanks for the clarification on the liquids to use on lenses...I don't have much to do with chemicals other than cleaning the bathroom etc... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PentaxForums

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I have used the dust removal shake of the Pentax but they remain so I am assuming it is stuck on the sensor Sad

Try giving it a few strong puffs of air before resorting to brushes, pads, or chemicals. Like I mentioned earlier, we have yet to come across anything with the D40 that hasn't come off with just air. We've taken tens of thousands of shots, with lens changes all the time, and have never needed to touch the sensor to clean it. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Today i received my Lenspen Sensorklear. Bought it some days ago in the US via ebay for about 16$.

tried it of course and the first results are pretty amazing, it's easy to use, and removes the dust very well. took a pic @ f16 before and after clean, there were many spots, but after clean there's one or two remaining.

Sufficed to say that i rarely go at this kind of apertures, anyway i highly recommend this tool , by the way it also has a brush for lens cleaning at the other side : )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody of you used this :
http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use any liquid myself. It's quite likely to damage plastic or rubber and it's bound to leave a film, even if it's very thin. I wouldn't use a blower either - where will you blow the dust to?

Mo, if you have a proper artists's soft watercolour brush or even a soft feather, wipe it over the sensor and use a vacuum cleaner nozzle gently to suck the dust out of the camera altogether.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying an airblower and it worked.Although some dust specks seem to take forever to move. Mad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this, it s effective, but you have to follow the instructions litteraly and it s not for the "easy scared" cleaners Smile the spoonge makes a horrible noise as you swab the sensor, i used it on a Nikon D50, D200, D300, not yet on my D700, not needed yet, i set the shaking of the sensor each time i turn off the camera and of course i use a good blower from time to time.

http://www.intemos.com/default.asp

Tomas[/quote]