Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did I buy a pig?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Did I buy a pig? Reply with quote

Just bought a Kalimar 35-70/3.5 macro off eBay made in Korea SN 98xxxxx in mint condition.

I did not find a lot of info on this lens & Google said they were of USSR or Japan origin for a US market. This one would be a newer model I expect.

Anybody have knowledge of these lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I know a little about Kalimar. To my knowledge, Kalimar was another company that put their name on products made by others. I first thought it was a Russian name since my first encounter was back in the early 70s when I bought a Kalimar 35mm camera as my very first SLR. It was the only one I could afford. It came with a Helios 44-2 lens and was as basic as you can imagine. I credit that experience with my learning of photography, since I had to learn to get a decent picture.

I've since noticed that they had many other products made in various countries. I own a Kalimar 60-300mm AF zoom for my SONY that isn't too bad. Not too great either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Korea-made Kalimar 28-85/3.5, and found it to be OK... not quite as sharp as I would like, but it mostly makes up for it by being compact, very well built, and having a nice smooth bokeh. I have photos of my lens and one picture through it posted here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/kalimar-mc-28-85mm-f3-5-t27413.html

With regards to Russian origins, be aware that I have found quite a few mistaken references confusing "Kaleinar" and "Kalimar" lenses, particularly from people who have only heard the name (not read it). Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I should get it within two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the first pictures I took in my photography career. This is the newly acquired Russian Kalimar with Helios lens. Give me a break with the hair, it was 1972 give or take a year.

Here are some of my Kalimar 60-300mm pictures - lens maker unknown...
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/kalzoom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, I hope my 35-70 is as good.