Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

'1 Day 1 roll' event?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

1 Day 1 Roll event, are you interested?
Yes, I am interested!
66%
 66%  [ 33 ]
Maybe
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
No, I'm not interested
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 50

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: '1 Day 1 roll' event? Reply with quote

Inspired by Kris' posting: http://forum.mflenses.com/roll-in-a-day-day-in-a-roll-t49155.html
I thought that perhaps we could have the same event running here!
Would you like (and partecipate) to monthly events called "1 Day 1 Roll", where:

- a photo day is set for each month, one month in advance, and a thread is opened in this forum

- in the set day, you take a complete roll of photos (any film type, any film size, any equipment, any subject)

- within 15 days from the day, you post somewhere (Flickr, your website, anywhere you like) all the photos of the roll, mistakes included,
then add a link to your photos in the dedicated thread, where you can also post directly (embed) the three best photos at your choice

Here's a poll, if there are enough people interested, I will start the first event for a day in May.

Last edited by Orio on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like at least 20 likes, because I know by experience that if 20 like, then maybe 5 will actually partecipate.
Less than 5 would make no sense.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the idea Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea very much but with one caveat - I would need some flexibility as to the day of shooting due to the nature of the weather here. For instance, we have had constant rain with zero sunlight for the last 3 days, that gives me a huge handicap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think variability is part of the project Smile
I mean what is cool (in my opinion) is that all the photos are taken in the same day. It's like a snapshot of the world, in different places, at the same time.
Think of it 20 years from now, some people wil be able to go back and see what happened on day X, month Y, 2012
Wouldn't you like to see such a project of, say, 16th of September, 1910? Smile some in Europe, some in USA, some in Asia...
I think this is what makes it cool, otherwise it becomes the usual "show me your best" gallery.

If it rains, photograph with an umbrella - I do it often Smile I actually love it because I get great photos under the rain, I even hope
that it will rain that day! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much the rain as the lack of light, I'll give it a go but I expect crap results as it really does get dark here when it rains, for instance, I took my Kiev II out today and it started raining, on a typical day here, I would be getting readings of 200-400 on my Weston, today I was getting 25 so I gave up and came home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It's not so much the rain as the lack of light, I'll give it a go but I expect crap results as it really does get dark here when it rains, for instance, I took my Kiev II out today and it started raining, on a typical day here, I would be getting readings of 200-400 on my Weston, today I was getting 25 so I gave up and came home.

push film, use tripod... there's always a solution Smile
I would not worry about the crap results, this is not about image quality. It is about photography and not gear or tech, for one time Wink
It's about making the snapshot of one day of earth life and putting it into a time spaceship for the future.
You have the other 29 days of the month to work on best image quality photos Smile

I'll put it this way: imagine you are a war photographer and your mission is to document one day of operations. Only, there's no war. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.
I have some expired film and some cameras to test: this can just be the right chance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

push film, use tripod... there's always a solution Smile
I would not worry about the crap results, this is not about image quality. It is about photography and not gear or tech, for one time Wink
It's about making the snapshot of one day of earth life and putting it into a time spaceship for the future.
You have the other 29 days of the month to work on best image quality photos Smile

I'll put it this way: imagine you are a war photographer and your mission is to document one day of operations. Only, there's no war. Smile

You make your point very eloquently, I will give it a go, it sounds like a worthwhile endeavour!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... why wait more? Let's just start and see how it goes!

If there are no major objections, as first day I'll choose a Saturday, because on Saturdays most shops are open and streets are more lively than on Sundays.
For June instead I'll choose a Sunday, so people that works on Saturdays can have a chance to partecipate the month after.
In general, I think it can be a good idea to alternate Saturdays and Sundays.
If there will be enough interest, we could decide sometimes to also choose a working day, to provide variety. In that case, we'll accept also incomplete rolls, because free time on working days may be limited and not enough to complete a roll.

I will call the project "MFLenses Time Machine Project" Smile and the first day will be

Saturday 5th, May

I will now open a dedicated thread - it will be locked until May 5th

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, now all I have to decide is which camera to use and what film to shoot...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea!
but on 5 May, weather forecast say we will have no clouds (not nice sky) and the UV index will be 9
wiki for UV index 9 wrote:
Very high risk of harm from unprotected sun exposure
Wear SPF 30+ sunscreen, a shirt, sunglasses, and a hat. Do not stay out in the sun for too long

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
great idea!
but on 5 May, weather forecast say we will have no clouds (not nice sky) and the UV index will be 9
Wear SPF 30+ sunscreen, a shirt, sunglasses, and a hat. Do not stay out in the sun for too long

Ooh, you will have the opposite problem to me, I expect May 5th will be cold, damp and dark here...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
great idea!

Use T* UV filter Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
poilu wrote:
great idea!

Ooh, you will have the opposite problem to me, I expect May 5th will be cold, damp and dark here...

Guys, we just can't set up a date that is good for everyone. It will always be bad for someone somewhere.
Robert Capa could not take agreements with weather service when he landed on Omaha Beach Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
great idea!

What time of day is that? Wink

Test some UV filters!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great idea.

The only problem is that I'll be absolutely stuck in work until mid-June.
That means that I hardly will be able to have a day to shoot a roll, let alone develop it.

Next time, perhaps. OK?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
poilu wrote:
great idea!

Guys, we just can't set up a date that is good for everyone. It will always be bad for someone somewhere.
Robert Capa could not take agreements with weather service when he landed on Omaha Beach Rolling Eyes

D-Day should have been on my birthday but was delayed 24hrs by bad weather.

For June's, can we make it the 4th please as it will be Jubilee day here in England and the best opportunity for street shooting since 1977.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, great idea! Ian, don't worry about the rain, you're not sugar-based life to where you will dissolve or melt or anything...j/k Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar-based life... PMSL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'm up for this. I usually shoot at least a whole roll if not more in an outing, if that is my intention.
It's starting to get to winter over here now, so weather may be a problem. But I'm in.
When is this kicking off?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:

When is this kicking off?

May 5th (Saturday)