Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

'1 Day 1 roll' event?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

1 Day 1 Roll event, are you interested?
Yes, I am interested!
66%
 66%  [ 33 ]
Maybe
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
No, I'm not interested
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.

Nikon F3HP, and probably Kodak BW400CN film.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count on me too!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to do this, too! Just some quick questions: So we shoot a whole roll and post the whole thing on (in my case) flickr account? Should this be done with no post-processing to any of the images? Then we post a link to the set in the provided thread? Is there any way for you to then take a selection of everyone's images to make it easier to see what folks did? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
I'd like to do this, too! Just some quick questions: So we shoot a whole roll and post the whole thing on (in my case) flickr account? Should this be done with no post-processing to any of the images? Then we post a link to the set in the provided thread? Is there any way for you to then take a selection of everyone's images to make it easier to see what folks did? Thanks

Yes, like I said, when you post here the link to Flickr (or whatever else), you can also embed in the forum the three best pictures of your choice.
The goal is to show one day in the life of the world, so it is not really the place for post processing. Remember, that the request is to enter all the frames in the roll, including the mistaken ones.
Therefore I would say no postwork, except for the very basic, like sharpening or adjusting black and white points.
This means no Silver FX, no snapseed, no HDR please.
If you like to postwork your shots, you can always do that outside the event, in the normal galleries.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hood wrote:

When is this kicking off?

May 5th (Saturday)

El Cinco de Mayo is a colorful holiday in US, with many gatherings of people and good food, music, & much celebration! At least in SF Bay Area and other parts of California. Wink

Quote:
Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where the holiday is called El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla). The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War. In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín. Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico—which is actually celebrated on September 16.

wikipedia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrated regionally in Mexico? The Mexicans kicked out the French and allied aggressors and this event is celebrated nationwide and considered one of the most important dates in Mexican history. Obviously US-centric author Smile

I have a FED-3 armed and ready. We're waiting for the 5th of May Cool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

push film, use tripod... there's always a solution Smile
I would not worry about the crap results, this is not about image quality. It is about photography and not gear or tech, for one time Wink
It's about making the snapshot of one day of earth life and putting it into a time spaceship for the future.
You have the other 29 days of the month to work on best image quality photos Smile

I'll put it this way: imagine you are a war photographer and your mission is to document one day of operations. Only, there's no war. Smile

Orio, so wonderfully eloquent...This is why I love this forum. I read it all the time....but alas do not participate enough.

I will shoot a roll on May 5. Now I need to decide: Big thunking Bronica S2 or Nikon Fe or Canon FTb or Zeiss Ikonta 6x9 or old Praktica LTL...so many choices...(the Bronica means 12 shots....the Ikonta means 8 shots...)

This is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you like this, Eugene.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I can find a roll of film by Saturday count me in....! Not shot film for about 7 years.... Very Happy

.mic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mictheslik wrote:
if I can find a roll of film by Saturday count me in....! Not shot film for about 7 years.... Very Happy

.mic

Go to Poundland, they have Kodak Colorplus 200 for a pound a roll, not the greatest film but it will do. I'd post you a roll but I doubt it will arrive in time Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
Orio wrote:

push film, use tripod... there's always a solution Smile
I would not worry about the crap results, this is not about image quality. It is about photography and not gear or tech, for one time Wink
It's about making the snapshot of one day of earth life and putting it into a time spaceship for the future.
You have the other 29 days of the month to work on best image quality photos Smile

I'll put it this way: imagine you are a war photographer and your mission is to document one day of operations. Only, there's no war. Smile

Orio, so wonderfully eloquent...This is why I love this forum. I read it all the time....but alas do not participate enough.

I will shoot a roll on May 5. Now I need to decide: Big thunking Bronica S2 or Nikon Fe or Canon FTb or Zeiss Ikonta 6x9 or old Praktica LTL...so many choices...(the Bronica means 12 shots....the Ikonta means 8 shots...)

This is awesome.

I still can't decide, Bessa 6x9, Konica C35, Fujica STX-1+Fujinon 2.2/55, Petri 500TTL+Tessar 2.8/50, all arrived this week, all need testing...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go with 35mm B&W for sure. Undecided between the Zeiss Ikon and the Contax G2.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
mictheslik wrote:

.mic

Go to Poundland, they have Kodak Colorplus 200 for a pound a roll, not the greatest film but it will do. I'd post you a roll but I doubt it will arrive in time Sad

Thanks for the tip...will try and get down there tomorrow or Saturday morning Smile

.mic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I will go with 35mm B&W for sure. Undecided between the Zeiss Ikon and the Contax G2.

Mine will be BW too, which ZI? A Contax?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Orio wrote:

No, the ZI:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/zeiss-.html
Quite stupidly, Zeiss did not give a model name to the camera. So we are forced to call it "Zeiss Ikon" or "ZI" which generates ambiguity
with all the past models released by the real Zeiss Ikon (the brand based in Stuttgart)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using my Kiev 88 with a myriad of lenses. I have Acros 100 loaded up in a NT back already.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Orio wrote:

No, the ZI:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/zeiss-.html
Quite stupidly, Zeiss did not give a model name to the camera. So we are forced to call it "Zeiss Ikon" or "ZI" which generates ambiguity
with all the past models released by the real Zeiss Ikon (the brand based in Stuttgart)

Aah yes, I know this camera. Did you chose it instead of an M Leica? It's one of those cameras I'll never be able to afford, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Aah yes, I know this camera. Did you chose it instead of an M Leica? It's one of those cameras I'll never be able to afford, sadly.

Yes, it's much better than the Leica M.
Much better viewfinder (larger and brighter), better light reading and Aperture priority mode, faster shutter speed (1/2000 vs. 1/1000 of Leica M),
faster flash syncro speed, longer rangefinder base (more precise focusing), swing-open back film door
It's an M camera like M cameras should have always been made if they were made as they should from the beginning Twisted Evil
I cashed some postal bonds (savings by my father) so I used part of them to gift myself with the ZI and C Sonnar 50mm Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like an awesome camera, congrats. I'm quite envious of your ability to chose between it and the Contax G.

I too can chose between RF cams but only humble ones - Konica C35, Fed 4, Zorki 6, Kiev II.

Oh well, I'll just keep repeating to myself the mantra that better camera does not mean better pictures Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It sounds like an awesome camera, congrats. I'm quite envious of your ability to chose between it and the Contax G.
I too can chose between RF cams but only humble ones - Konica C35, Fed 4, Zorki 6, Kiev II.
Oh well, I'll just keep repeating to myself the mantra that better camera does not mean better pictures Rolling Eyes

The Kiev II is a great camera, maybe humble but not modest!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the Kiev, Stalin may have been what we could call here 'a rum old bugger' but he did a great thing when he pinched the best of the German camera industry, otherwise poor members of the proletariat like me wouldn't get our hands on such great cameras and lenses!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting exited about this. Very Happy
Should be fun, if it isn't just raining all day tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about using some expired Velvia 50 I have at home, but probably it will be raining here as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Sounds like fun. Well done Orio. I'm going to Hakone national park in Japan tomorrow and the weather looks good! Actually I only found this thread today so it's good timing. My FE is loaded with Super XP2 so I'm going to have to use my Nikon U. I'll probably use cheap Fujicolor 100. Looking forward to seeing other members' galleries.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

Guys, if you can take note of the hours or at least the approximate time (morning-noon-afternoon-evening) I think this will add further interest to your photos.