Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to do with Rodenstock Omegar Enlarging Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: What to do with Rodenstock Omegar Enlarging Lens? Reply with quote

I was browsing through some boxes of stuff I'd stored away years ago, and came across a 50mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Omegar that used to be part of my darkroom outfit. I sold all my darkroom stuff off years ago, but somehow I managed to miss this piece.

Rather than sell it too, I'm wondering if I can put it to any practical use. One thing I can use it for is a loupe, but I don't really need one. I already have a couple and I can always look through a reversed wide-angle lens if I want to observe a subject at high magnification. Being an enlarging lens it has no focusing helical. I suppose if I had a set of bellows, which I currently don't, I could use it as a macro lens, but I've already got a few good macro lenses already.

So I thought I'd ask you folks, see if y'all might have any clever ideas of what to do with an old enlarger lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Wilon 105mm f4.5 enlarger lens on an Zenit bellows that came real cheap, and they work very well on my Pentax K10.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its good for handheld macro of course. A bit dim though.

No need for bellows - use extension rings, and focus the camera by moving back and forth. I do that with bellows anyway, when handheld.

Its lighter and handier than bellows besides, and nearly all macro lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably get better results if you reverse it. I don't believe it's an asymmetrical lens which is why I suggest reversing it. The Rodenstock Rodagon (which I have) is asymmetrical, and you gain nothing by reversing it .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magnification is somewhat greater when reversed, but the field of view is noticeably narrower as I look through it. More like looking through a tube reversed than the right way.

Let's see -- most enlarging lenses use the same thread as the old leica screw mount, correct? That might be the easiest way to go. Get some LSM extension rings, then an adapter for LSM -> EOS for my DSLR.

Wonder if it'll be worth all the trouble, though. As I recall, when I sold my other Rodenstock enlarging lens on eBay, I got about $10 for it. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the thread is M39, then all you would need, assuming you already have extension rings for your camera and an M42 adapter, is an M39-M42 adapter ring, which usually go for $10 or so.

Granted, there is small benefit in this lens probably.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
If the thread is M39, then all you would need, assuming you already have extension rings for your camera and an M42 adapter, is an M39-M42 adapter ring, which usually go for $10 or so. .....

I was pointed at these in another thread. I have ordered a couple for an Industar 50 and anything else which I get at M39. Hmmmmm..... I have an Accura enlarging lens somewhere - now you've got me thinking Twisted Evil

I've not had any problems with ordered from China or Hong Kong, so I'm hoping for the best. Good price I thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/42mm-39mm-M42-M39-Lens-mount-adapter-Leica-Zenit-/320472832486?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9dab59e6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to buy something to make it work, keep in mind that the M39 to Nikon/Canon/Pentax/etc adapters are about the same price as the M39-M42 adapters. Wink One less piece to worry about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Probably get better results if you reverse it. I don't believe it's an asymmetrical lens which is why I suggest reversing it. The Rodenstock Rodagon (which I have) is asymmetrical, and you gain nothing by reversing it .

The Omegar is a Tessar (unsymmetric) and should be reversed for macro whereas the Rodagon is a (symmetric) double Gauss design and does not benefit from reversing.

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/enlarging_en.html

It only matters much for high magnifications, sometimes I just ignore these facts and shoot "normal" as it so much easier to mount and use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2 enlarger lens and I used for macro purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI -

Its not safe to assume that an enlarger lens is M39

I have 7-8 enlarger lenses, and of these just one is M39

American-made ones (Wollensak, DO, Elgeet, Ilex, Bausch&Lomb) rarely are.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Just FYI -
Its not safe to assume that an enlarger lens is M39

What mount are the others?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collection has all sorts of threads, the American ones are non-metric (i.e., one is @ 41.5mm or close, another is more like 52mm, etc., most mounts seem to have used view-camera type lensboards with mounting rings, but even my Schneider Componar seems to be about 25mm.

Best to measure to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow......that's very good indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, shockingly, G1 is not the best camera at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use your enlarger lens as a normal lens on your camera and be able to focus without moving your camera back and forth, I'd suggest something like this:
https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mount-adapters/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-m42-42x1mm-screw-mount-lens-to-canon-ef-m-eos-m-mirrorless-digital-camera-system-with-macro-focusing-helicoid.html
Just put an M39-M42 adapter ring on the lens threads and you're good to go.
You will probably not be able to focus on infinity, as the flange distance of the enlarger is different (shorter) than that of regular M42 lenses