Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY - 35mm camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: DIY - 35mm camera Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is the correct place to pose this question. Admin please move it if you think so.

Hi All,

I am thinking of making a 35mm Panorama camera with aspect ratio of 1:3 but able to decide on the focal length and lens.

My criteria are (1) no perspective distortion (2) FOV comparable to 90mm on fuji 6x17. I already have a mamiya N 35/3.5 lens, may be that could be use for this purpose. However I dont have exact dimension of its image circle. Ideally it should be like XPAN with 30-35mm lens (may be I am dreaming!).

I was wondering if someone can point me to any literature which deals with the basics of camera making.

Thanks !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:

http://www.panoramic.net/www/HandBuilt.htm

http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/panoram2/pan2_en.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the link but these are for the rotating cameras and I am looking for non rotating types. These generally not that hand when it comes to shooting since they always requires a tripod.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wider than a certain amount without using a curved film plane with a normal 35mm lens.

You could use a larger format lens but this would mean a large camera.

Simplest way to do what you want would be to convert a rollfilm camera to use 35mm.

35mm frame is 36mm wide so if you want a triple width, you would need a lens with an image circle at least 108mm (3x36mm). You might be able to cover this with a lens from an old 6x9 folder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I want 24x66mm (1:2.75) frame similar to xpan. My mamiya 645 35/3.5 N has image circle of about 80mm. If I am using this lens then the camera would be bulging out due to flange to film plane distance which is I guess is 63.3mm. But I dont know any 6x6,6x9 format rangefinder lens which are wider than this and not very expensive. I can think of mamiya 6x7 43mm but it is very very expensive. I dont have to shell out any extra from mamiya 35mm.

So I know if I use mamiya 35/3.5 the camera would be little bulky but much less than any 6x17 format Very Happy

I may start with the configuration where lens is fixed at hyperfocal distance for f16 or f22. Then may introduce complication into it (may be rangefinder mechanism for focusing). I have seen many DIY 6x17 camera like this and I am trying to replicate in 135 format.

So if any one have any suggestion on how to start with camera making 101 please share!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, 66mm wide frame is very easy and cheap to achieve and you can use that Mamiya lens.

Does that Mamiya lens have a shutter in it?

If so, you just need to fashion a mount for it.

Then get one of these very cheap plastic stereo pinhole cameras:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIY-3D-Stereo-Pinhole-135-Film-Camera-w-Viewer-Kit-/160464443235?pt=UK_Photography_VintageCameras_SM&hash=item255c6d1763

Of course, you're not going to use the pinholes, this is just the body you will use.

The easiest way to add your lens to this camera would be to find an old cheap 6x9 folder with good bellows with no holes. Remove the bellows ad the bed it sits on from the folder and attach it to the front of the pinhole 35mm camera. You will need to cut away a rectangle from the front of the camera, removing the pinholes in the process.

Then you just need to mount your mamiya lens where the old lens/shutter is and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately 645 lenses doesnt come with shutters. Thats one hurdle to overcome. Your advice seems pretty good ! Thanks ! Only problem is that old cameras are not very easily available where I live. So I need to make the back, bellows etc on my own Sad

however I think it would be pretty exciting !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a very, very cheap lens you can probably go with one from a 6x6 folder or TLR, like the Graflex/Ciro.

These would be 75-85mm lenses. They would also be much smaller than your Mamiya, though you would need a focusing mount, etc.

Alternately, how about modifying a TLR ? Those Graflex/Ciro types may work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lui,

I believe with cheap you mean in price since I dont want to compromise in image quality. Also as I have mentioned I am currently looking to have wide angle with little or less distortion and my mamiya 35mm fit that criteria. Yeah it would be bulky but wide angle in medium format rangefinder are very expensive.

Generally such designs are made around lens. So lets say if my lens is final, how should I proceed with it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the inside of the stereo pinhole I'm talking about, as you can see it will shoot a double width frame, that is with the stereo mask fitted but you can change it for the panoramic one it also comes with (without the divider in the middle).

You don't need bellows, you could just make a new wooden front for the camera that is deeper so that the Mamiya lens has the correct distance to the film plane.

Alternatively, sell that Mamiya lens and get one of the type luis is suggesting, some of the better lenses in the old 6x9 folders were superb and ideal for the work you want to do, the schneider Radionar being a good example.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
So if any one have any suggestion on how to start with camera making 101 please share!

Camera Making is pretty simple in concept, with the implementation difficulty varying only according to your fabrication skills. Wink You could even make your 24x66 panoramic with a cardboard box, a pinhole, and a piece of black tape for a shutter if you wanted!

The basic ingredients for a camera:
* Film transport- spools, roll holders, wind knob(s)
* Film guides and (optional) pressure plate
* A light-tight box
* A lens
* A shutter
* Film!

Optional ingredients:
* A viewfinder
* Focusing provisions
* Levels
* Light meter
* Range finder

How you achieve each of these components is up to you. iangreenhalgh1's suggestions to modify existing cameras is a very good one, and is probably the route that most camera builders go. However, if your needs require too many modifications to the existing camera parts, you may find it easier to just start from scratch and build the whole camera from raw materials. Wink

Have you seen the Magnorama blog? It is probably the best collection out there for homemade panoramic camera links & information. Here is the 35mm section:
http://somakray.blogspot.com/search/label/35%20mm%20panoramic%20camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This is the inside of the stereo pinhole I'm talking about, as you can see it will shoot a double width frame, that is with the stereo mask fitted but you can change it for the panoramic one it also comes with (without the divider in the middle).

You don't need bellows, you could just make a new wooden front for the camera that is deeper so that the Mamiya lens has the correct distance to the film plane.

Alternatively, sell that Mamiya lens and get one of the type luis is suggesting, some of the better lenses in the old 6x9 folders were superb and ideal for the work you want to do, the schneider Radionar being a good example.

I was just looking at this. Seems like pretty neat solution!! thanks for the link. I am just asking the seller about its material ..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture is taken from the blog schiempflug suggests, I also suggest taking a look at it.

If you look closely at that picture, it's just a plastic box with the film winding gear either side.

Knowing the Indian tradition of fabrication of all kinds of things from other old broken things in roadside workshops I'm sure you could find some local craftsman who could make the same thing for you out of metal. Perhaps if you bought the plastic version (it's so cheap) and gave it to such a craftsman he could just use the parts as the patterns to make a metal version?

That is the parts list for the camera, as you can see it has very few parts and should be very easy for a craftsman to make something similar out of wood or metal.

Here is a Noon pinole panoramic rollfilm camera executed in wood:

I really want a Noon but can't afford one. Hence I am in the process of trying to make my own DIY version, the problem I am having is in finding a large enough shutter to fit the Ross WA Xpress 5 inch lens I want to use. My aim is to shoot panoramas on 120 rollfilm, 6x12cm.

If you do engage a craftsman to make you a camera I would also be interested in buying one, you might be able to start a little business selling handmade cameras!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Ash wrote:

Camera Making is pretty simple in concept, with the implementation difficulty varying only according to your fabrication skills. Wink You could even make your 24x66 panoramic with a cardboard box, a pinhole, and a piece of black tape for a shutter if you wanted!

The basic ingredients for a camera:
* Film transport- spools, roll holders, wind knob(s)
* Film guides and (optional) pressure plate
* A light-tight box
* A lens
* A shutter
* Film!

Optional ingredients:
* A viewfinder
* Focusing provisions
* Levels
* Light meter
* Range finder

How you achieve each of these components is up to you. iangreenhalgh1's suggestions to modify existing cameras is a very good one, and is probably the route that most camera builders go. However, if your needs require too many modifications to the existing camera parts, you may find it easier to just start from scratch and build the whole camera from raw materials. Wink

Have you seen the Magnorama blog? It is probably the best collection out there for homemade panoramic camera links & information. Here is the 35mm section:
http://somakray.blogspot.com/search/label/35%20mm%20panoramic%20camera

Thanks Scheimpflug for the blog link! there were many good ideas. The one I really like was from Olaf Matthes who remodeled nikon f2 with a mamiya press fit lens and second one with sinar 35mm. I am currently thinking of going this route. In india I can get old nikon 35mm bodies pretty easily than of any other brand. However since my lens does not have in built shutter, can anyone throw some ideas on how to make one or may be get something like copal shutter to work in this situation?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
However since my lens does not have in built shutter, can anyone throw some ideas on how to make one or may be get something like copal shutter to work in this situation?

I think the shutter is going to be your biggest problem. Neutral

What is the diameter of the rear element on your lens? Since you will have to mount the shutter either before or after the lens, and you're using a medium-format lens for medium-format image sizes, you're going to need a huge #4/#5 shutter and then the machine work to adapt it. Shocked

I suspect it would be much cheaper to just buy a Mamiya 645 body and the Mamiya 135 film adapter, and widen the film gate...
... and dramatically cheaper to just buy a lens with a shutter already in it. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of building a 20x24" camera with WA Brown 14 Inch Series 60 Process Lens, looking around for a large shutter, found Packard Shutter Company
, also considering DIY shutter, found YouTube - DIY Camera Shutter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, shutters are the biggest problem here, I am having a lot of difficulty finding a shutter large enough, cheap enough and fully working.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW fuji H30 in Panoramic mode??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Ash wrote:
However since my lens does not have in built shutter, can anyone throw some ideas on how to make one or may be get something like copal shutter to work in this situation?

What is the diameter of the rear element on your lens? Since you will have to mount the shutter either before or after the lens, and you're using a medium-format lens for medium-format image sizes, you're going to need a huge #4/#5 shutter and then the machine work to adapt it. Shocked

I suspect it would be much cheaper to just buy a Mamiya 645 body and the Mamiya 135 film adapter, and widen the film gate...
... and dramatically cheaper to just buy a lens with a shutter already in it. Wink

Being an medium format SLR lens it is pretty big. I already have a 645 body but its 135mm adapter wont give me 24x72 frame. So I guess I need to wait for a large format lens with built in shutter. I thought I have a lens and free time so why not go for it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
Ash wrote:

Being an medium format SLR lens it is pretty big. I already have a 645 body but its 135mm adapter wont give me 24x72 frame. So I guess I need to wait for a large format lens with built in shutter. I thought I have a lens and free time so why not go for it Very Happy

Have you considered the Pentax 67 leaf shutter lenses? They have a 90 and a 165mm IIRC.