Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Miranda Tripods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Miranda Tripods Reply with quote

I've been offered an old Miranda Pro Video 1 tripod by a friend of the family.

I know it's an old Dixons video tripod and that's fine because I'm looking for a tripod purely for long lens video work, but has anyone any experience with them. He says it was fine with his small video camera but I was wondering if it would hold up to the weight of a Canon 60D with a 200mm Pentacon on the front.

I don't use a tripod for stills but it might be my first foray into that too, so is it useable for the odd snap.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would pass on it and look for something better. It appears to be a lightweight cheapie, and has too many adjustments to be stable with weight on it. For video use, especially with a telephoto lens, you will also want to look for something with a fluid head if possible.

That being said, if it is free or really really cheap, and you don't have any other tripods, you could always give it a shot... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 60D and 200mm, I would go for a decent tripod, unless you're happy with less than good results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I figured as much! But I'm never one to turn down a freebie.

I have some nice Vinten Pro legs from the days of using a video camera (last year in fact!), but they're enormous and a bit unweildy to keep lugging around, but they can handle the adapter bars, matte box etc.

I could maybe sell them, but they at least look the part clients look a bit shocked when I turn up with a dinky little DSLR.

Any recommendations for something suitable. Something more portable for just the camera and a big old zoom.

Thanks