Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom lens recommendation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Zoom lens recommendation Reply with quote

Hi there,

I collected around 20 prime lenses in the last two years, now it's time for the first manual focus zoom.

Since I want to use it on a 5D/ 7D as a video zoom lens I have some priorities:

* 24-70mm, 35-70mm up to 100mm range
* T 2.8 or up to 4
* it got to have a constant aperture over the whole zoom range
* it got to have manual focus with a large spread focus throw
* it should be parfocal, meaning the focus does not have to be re-adjusted during zooming.
* the barrel length should not change significantly while zooming or focusing

I heard about the zuiko 35-70 3.6 and tokina 35-70 2.8 and 35-105mm 3.5. Any others?
What about Vivitars, Hanimex, Kalimars? Any experience?

Anyone with a Soligor 35-70 /2.5-3.5 ??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom lens recommendation Reply with quote

agent_cooper wrote:

But that does not have a constant aperture over the zoom range...

Anyway, I really can recommend Tamron SP zooms!

Leica and Zeiss as well, but those are rather expensive.

There are also some excellent Zuiko zooms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a one-touch or two-touch lens? For video use, you might even want a pre-set!

The Vivitar Series 1 70-210 is very well recommended, and quite inexpensive as well (depending on the mount and version - some are collectible). There are several versions of it, some better than others, so do your research before buying. Wink Perhaps a bit too much reach for your application though?

Last edited by Scheimpflug on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom lens recommendation Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
agent_cooper wrote:

But that does not have a constant aperture over the zoom range...

yepp, but it has a 2.5@ 35mm and I would accept the 3.5 as an excuse Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Are you looking for a one-touch or two-touch lens? For video use, you might even want a pre-set!

The Vivitar Series 1 70-210 is very well recommended, and quite inexpensive as well (depending on the mount and version - some are collectible). There are several versions of it, some better than others, so do your research before buying. Wink Perhaps a bit too much reach for your application though?

I think a 2-touch would be more accurate to work with.

please no 70mm.. upwards just 24....100mm range

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom lens recommendation Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Anyway, I really can recommend Tamron SP zooms!

+1 ... Especially if the Tamron is the excellent SP 35-80 F/2.8-3.8 (i.e., 01A) ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ml 28-85 f3.5 would be a nice fit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Vivitar Series 1 35-85 or 28-90, but they don't quite fit your criteria. Great lenses though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on what indianadinos says Smile

I would recommend the Tamron SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8 (01A) as an excellent inexpensive lens. I find the colours good and the contrast and sharpness acceptable.

If you need wider then the 28-80 (27A) but this isn't as fast.

Check out ADAPTALL site for details.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Tamron 01A parfocal?

Don't remember, sold it some time ago .. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Is Tamron 01A parfocal?

Don't remember, sold it some time ago .. Embarassed

Yes, it is, but the f value changes as you zoom, 2.8-3.8. I'm not aware that any Tamron zooms have a truly constant aperture.

I'd like to suggest the Minolta MD 35-70 f/3.5. It can't be used directly on the 7D without a lensed adapter, but the IQ quality using one on my 400D is still very good indeed. The zoom is quite small and light (about 10mm shorter and 75g lighter than the Tammy 01A), it is parfocal, has a constant aperture value, good sharpness and distortion, CA and flare are well controlled. I just know it would be a great two-touch lens for video work.

EDIT: The adapter was £18.25 from big_is. It increases the focal length by about 15% so the effective length of the zoom would be about 42mm - 81mm, and of course it reduces light value slightly. The 400D metered 1/200 against 1/250 without the adapter. This 100% sample is taken at 35mm f8 using the adapter (compare with my examples using prime lenses in the Yashica 2.8/28 thread.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I would recommend the Vivitar Series 1 35-85

I had this lens... it's nowhere near the Zuiko 35-70/3.6. The Vivitar is decidedly not parfocal, not sharp wide open (compared to the Zuiko anyway), big, bulky, one-touch design. It's an interesting piece of history, whereas the Zuiko is still a very sharp, very usable parfocal lens even by todays standards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I'd like to suggest the Minolta MD 35-70 f/3.5. It can't be used directly on the 7D without a lensed adapter, but the IQ quality using one on my 400D is still very good indeed. The zoom is quite small and light (about 10mm shorter and 75g lighter than the Tammy 01A), it is parfocal, has a constant aperture value, good sharpness and distortion, CA and flare are well controlled. I just know it would be a great two-touch lens for video work.

Click here to see on Ebay BIN so get in fast.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue to be aware of is that zooms inevitably are dirt pumps. Expensive fixed aperture zooms usually have been used and weren't merely shelf queens, so that you can expect quite a bit of dust and fogging in them. And 12+ element constructions with three or more helicals and control curves aren't exactly user serviceable - nor cheap to have serviced. All of that makes zooms a rather less good retro lens purchase than fixed length lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom lens recommendation Reply with quote

agent_cooper wrote:
Hi there,

I collected around 20 prime lenses in the last two years, now it's time for the first manual focus zoom.

Since I want to use it on a 5D/ 7D as a video zoom lens I have some priorities:

* 24-70mm, 35-70mm up to 100mm range
* T 2.8 or up to 4
* it got to have a constant aperture over the whole zoom range
* it got to have manual focus with a large spread focus throw
* it should be parfocal, meaning the focus does not have to be re-adjusted during zooming.
* the barrel length should not change significantly while zooming or focusing

I heard about the zuiko 35-70 3.6 and tokina 35-70 2.8 and 35-105mm 3.5. Any others?
What about Vivitars, Hanimex, Kalimars? Any experience?

I know/used zuiko + the 2x vivitar + the soligor !

zuiko 35-70 3.6 is absolutely top (if interested i sell mine) : small / constant app // barrel nearly same size

Vivitar 35-70 3.5 constant is top (same quality as zuiko 3.6 EXCEPT full app at 35mm)

Soligor 35-70 2.5/3.5 is very good (if interested i sell mine) ) - one/two step below zuiko but 2.5 app is interesting

Vivitar 35-70 2.8/3.8 is better than soligor (if interested i sell mine) )but still one step below zuiko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom lens recommendation Reply with quote

I bought the Zuiko 35-70 zoom and came across a little gem.
As most Zuikos it delivers huge quality in a tiny barrel and its CA is one of the lowest...

Thanks for the recommandation!

#1 @ 70mm, open

#2 @35mm, open