Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lightmeter for use with non-digital bodies anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Lightmeter for use with non-digital bodies anyone? Reply with quote

Well, it's just a thought and I'm actually trying not to spend on this one.

Somewhat pampered by DSLR technology, learning to think analogue and wondering to what extent a light meter might be a bright idea.

I've got an app or two on my HTC Desire which purports to provide light metering but I can't say how accurately. If that's accurate I shouldn't need to carry a dedicated bit of kit.

Oh sure, if I was shooting pro I'd have one in my bag and a back-up with my assistant. Shooting amateur, it's up to me to carry all the kit I need.

So I'm interested to learn who uses a light meter with their film bodies please?

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe smartphone are accurate enough as they take pics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try several light meters already most of them work very well on good light even most inexpensive vintage ones.

Any Gössen is a great tool , but many of them require mercury batteries, which is not exist on market any more. You can replace it with hearing aif batteries but accuracy going quickly down , life time only one month. Several solution available to keep alive these oldies, battery adapters etc.

Finally I got a Sekonic digital ligh meter with spot head (I use it rarely), this is my perfect and final solution.

I still have two others a Gössen Pilot 2 (very small , easy to cary with small Rf cameras) and I have another very small vintage light meter which is works also well. These two light meter are battery free and they are trustworthy tools even for slides if light is good , sunny. They are cheat one stop on less strong light.

Might be you lighmeter app works also well , just need to test it with a good light meter or camera.

Before Sekonic I did use Konica FC-1 body as light meter and/or Olympus 4000 compact camera both did job well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightmeter for use with non-digital bodies anyone? Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
So I'm interested to learn who uses a light meter with their film bodies please?

I do! I have a little 1960's shoe-mount selenium meter that works pretty well. It's not TTL of course, and picks up light from a much wider FOV than the lenses I use, so you have to take that into account when using it outdoors on sunny days. But I have been happy with the results.

I've been looking for a spare, but I've never been able to find another one like it that works. Very Happy