Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

stiff focusing nikkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: stiff focusing nikkor Reply with quote

Hello I am new to this group and find it very interesting and informative.

I have a nikkor-h 18cm f/2.5 lens in great condition except for stiff focusing. I want to clean and re-lubricate the helical focusing threads. I have partially disassembled it by removing the barrel nearest to the rear of the lens that has the tripod mount. Then removed the barrel with the internal helical threads which rotates inside the above mentioned barrel.
My problem is that I do not know how to remove the focusing barrel that is rotated by hand to adjust focus. Does anyone know how to do this or where I can get exploded diagrams or instructions?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry.
Welcome to the club Wink

I don't know anything about your issue but I'm confident that some mebers will help you very soon.

Cheers. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Your lens is an old rangefinder lens, usable on Nikon SLR bodies with the N/F adapter tube.

Maybe You should try other forums for an answer,

http://nikonhistoricalsociety.yuku.com/forums/63/HISTORY-COLLECTING-USING

or

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php

come to my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: stiff focusing nikor Reply with quote

I have put my question on about 7 nikon sites and have not gotten a single helpful reply. I find it hard to believe that nobody has ever done this. Is this a secret that repairer's keep to themselves? I am very disappointed that I could not get help from all the nikon/nikkor sites.
Is this lack of help typical of the nikon community in general?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: stiff focusing nikor Reply with quote

henrylr wrote:
Is this lack of help typical of the nikon community in general?

I would say that the posts above here were helpful... referring you to the experts in the area. You also received some good replies to your post on photo.net.

You have to consider that you are asking for very specific technical advice about a 50-year-old lens for which just 1,200 copies were ever produced.

When you consider that some copies were lost or destroyed, and that many of the remaining copies just sit on the shelves of collectors, or otherwise are not having problems or not needing repairs, your chance of finding a person who has personally serviced this lens in this specific way are exceptionally slim.

If you stay around for a while (welcome, by the way! Cool), I think that you will find that the people here are some of the most helpful and friendly people you will ever meet. But you might not get the help you need based on specific personal experience - at some point, you will just have to post pictures from different angles and see if anyone sees an assembly they recognize or has any hunches for you to investigate. Wink

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Scheimpflug.

You can also go to a professional repair shop and ask for help. I have done this by myself several times when I saw that I´m at the end with my technical experiences.

Wink