Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CF Card Recomendation Needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: CF Card Recomendation Needed Reply with quote

Hey there. I'm not sure exactly which section to put this in, so i figured I'd post it here (sorry if it should be elsewhere).

So i shoot Video on my 7D, so i want to get a 32GB CF card so that i can shoot a good amount of footage before having to dump the card (also, i'm going on a trip this summer, so having a larger card would be nice for that as well).

At the moment I'm debating between these two cards:

a Transcend:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=666608&is=REG

and a Sandisk Extreme:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646870-REG/SanDisk_SDCFX_032G_A61_32GB_Extreme_CompactFlash_Memory.html

i don't know much about memory cards, so my question is this: what is the difference between the two cards, and is the sandisk worth the extra $100?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be going to extreme weather? If so, Sandisk is supposed to be able to work from -13° to 185°F / -25°C to 85°C. If no, either card should be good enough. Both are fast cards. But I have never shot video with DSLR so perhaps some one with that experience might be able to better advice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pro still photographer and have used only Sandisk Extremes for 7 years. Great reliability.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For video definitely the Extreme.. and guess which company established the CF standart .. Sandisk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some cards from both manufacturers ... Sandisk is much more known for its photographic products, while Transcend had a really good reputation for high-perf laptop/desktop memories (well, maybe not high as OCZ, Corsair or Crucial, but ...)

Up to now, i only had an issue with a Transcend card, who died after about 18 months of usage (QA issue ?), my Sandisk are still perfectly working ...

Thus, if i were you, i would go with the Sandisk, more expensive but with a better quality.

Nevertheless, instead of a 32Gb card, i would buy 2 16Gb cards, so that if one fails, i would still have the second one as backup ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
I'm a pro still photographer and have used only Sandisk Extremes for 7 years. Great reliability.

+1

Once abroad I had forgot my cards at the hotel and bought two cheap Transcend cards for the shoot. They broke down 18 and 22 months later. Never had a Sandisk Extreme (Extreme, Ducati and Pro) card break down on me, and some of them are almost 4 years old now, I don't know how many times I've reformatted them*

EDIT: Actually, I do know: I've shot about 400,000 photos in those years, and since I exclusively use 4GB cards every card fits about 155 RAW images 25MB a piece. That means about 2,580 reformatting cycles total for all the cards I have (aged 24 to 48 months old).

Last edited by Esox lucius on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Kingston. Oldest is 6 years old, and still working, even without one cap, so the all chips are visible.. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Lexar and never had any problems with them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Will you be going to extreme weather? If so, Sandisk is supposed to be able to work from -13° to 185°F / -25°C to 85°C.

The Transcend actually has identical temperature specifications. Wink

Kram wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:
Never had a Sandisk Extreme (Extreme, Ducati and Pro) card break down on me, and some of them are almost 4 years old now

This is what you hear time and time again with Sandisk products. Cool In fact, it is almost hard to find a bad review - and sometimes, the bad reviews end up being counterfeit cards!

indianadinos wrote:
Nevertheless, instead of a 32Gb card, i would buy 2 16Gb cards, so that if one fails, i would still have the second one as backup ...

I would be willing to bet that with modern flash media, your chances of accidentally misplacing an extra card are MUCH greater than your chances of having a card fail. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses! I think i'm going to go with the Sandisk Extreme

indianadinos wrote:
instead of a 32Gb card, i would buy 2 16Gb cards, so that if one fails, i would still have the second one as backup ...

I definitely understand where you're coming from there, but unfortunately, buying two 16GB cards is significantly more expensive ($250 for 2 16GB cards vs. $185 for 1 32GB card.)

Thanks again for all your help!