Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any more info on this tiny Hanimar 135mm preset?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Any more info on this tiny Hanimar 135mm preset? Reply with quote

I'm sure it looks familiar but I can't find anything with the search function...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite like yet another instance of the 135mm sold in just about any mount (whether SLR or RF) in the sixties. I have a Soligor in Exakta mount and a slightly different (but that may be a generation matter) Tanar in Nikon RF mount. Probably Komura OEMed, but I've also read speculations that these (and similar lenses in other focal lengths) may have been JCII sample designs published to the Japanese camera industry and directly implemented by many smaller makers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has a Canon FD T-mount, that would make it look smaller than it probably is.

Closeup pictures may help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bigger picture but it seems to have shrunk for some reason.

I will get some extra pics soon.

It is an FD mount but the lens is still very small

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the Tokina preset, probably not a Sankor, nor the Kino/Kiron 135/3.5 preset.

A mystery.

The grip knurling seems to be a style from the 1970's, made to look like the rubber grips that were becoming popular.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an odd one, it indeed looks younger than the preset type in general. Maybe non-Japanese - wasn't Hanimex selling Hongkong made lenses as part of their bottom line very early on, or am I mixing that up with another distributor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally tried it out on the weekend, the worst 135mm I have ever used!

It doesn't get sharp till F/8 either, one to avoid!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:

Well ACTUALLY I like its rendering. I have this very lens (mine is labeled Prinz Galaxy), and I love its vintage style. If you hate yours, I'll gladly take it off your hands for a reasonable price (PM me if interested, I'm serious about that).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

Well ACTUALLY I like its rendering. I have this very lens (mine is labeled Prinz Galaxy), and I love its vintage style. If you hate yours, I'll gladly take it off your hands for a reasonable price (PM me if interested, I'm serious about that).

If I wanted to offload it you would be the first to know but I get the feeling it might come in useful for portraits thanks to it's soft look!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make some BW portraits and show samples, they might be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
If I wanted to offload it you would be the first to know but I get the feeling it might come in useful for portraits thanks to it's soft look!

"Soft Look" in a "CA so huge you reach for your 3D glasses" sort of way. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
"Soft Look" in a "CA so huge you reach for your 3D glasses" sort of way. Laughing

Shocked Smile Laughing Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

Shocked Smile Laughing Mr. Green

+1, great smiley! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

That's exactly what it reminded me of too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

"Prinz Galaxy" is probably an unusual lens to find in Canada, they were ( as far as I can tell ) the store brand of Dixons back in the 1980's and possibly the 70's.
I've got a 30mm Prinz Galaxy and it's a cheap and nasty thing, really horrible.

But possibly they were buying lenses from anywhere and everywhere and sometimes they dropped lucky?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
+1, great smiley! Laughing

Thanks, I made it a while back for one of the threads about the Vivitar 70-210 "Q-DOS" lenses... and it has come in handy a few times now. Wink

Dave- I must say, it looks 1000% better in black & white! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Dave- I must say, it looks 1000% better in black & white! Cool

My thought exactly. Isn't it genuinely picturesque?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
"Prinz Galaxy" is probably an unusual lens to find in Canada, they were ( as far as I can tell ) the store brand of Dixons back in the 1980's and possibly the 70's.
I've got a 30mm Prinz Galaxy and it's a cheap and nasty thing, really horrible.

But possibly they were buying lenses from anywhere and everywhere and sometimes they dropped lucky?

I've got mine from an eBay auction originated in the UK. It's global world now; in fact, most of my lenses come from anywhere but Canada. (On a side note, shipping from the UK to Canada is always way cheaper and way faster than from the US, which is geographically closer. Go figure.)