Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disappearance of ISO 800+ film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Disappearance of ISO 800+ film? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I set out to buy some ISO 800 or 1600 film, only to find that none is available locally. I've been to every camera store, most of the mini-labs, many of the chemists & corner convenience stores, the electronics stores, the "big box" stores, etc... and nobody carries anything other than 100, 200, and 400 speed film. Neutral

The camera stores and mini-labs have all said that they can order some 800 speed film, but it will come from half way across the country, and at a cost of NZ $20+ per roll (~ US $15.37 or €11.51), more than 3x the cost of ISO 100/200/400 film. Shocked The ISO 1600 film would be even more! From the responses I have received asking about these films, I get the impression that I'm the first person in years to ask for them. Rolling Eyes

Is the retreat of high-ISO film happening in other parts of the world, or is it just New Zealand? Can you still buy ISO 800/1600/3200 film locally in your area? Question

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely buy film locally but B&H Photo and Freestyle still stock many high speed films.
220 is sadly getting rare and B&W 220 is extinct now.

Hope we can keep medium format alive! I haven't shot 35mm film in five years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
I rarely buy film locally but B&H Photo and Freestyle still stock many high speed films.

Yes, this was one of my first thoughts too, as I've been very happy ordering from both suppliers in the past. The problem is that the shipping is *really* expensive to get packages to NZ, so you have to make huge orders to make it worthwhile. Sad

For example, one roll of Fuji 800Z from B&H will cost just US $5.60, but the cheapest shipping option (International Priority Mail, 10-14 Days Delivery, No Tracking) is US $46.25! Shocked That's for just one roll!! The shipping price stays the same up to 14 rolls, but goes up slowly after that.

Freestyle has better prices in general, but they have a US $25 minimum order, and shipping for $25 worth of film to NZ will run US $36.96 for USPS Priority Mail International. So even with Freestyle, I would have to spend US $61.96 at a minimum! Shocked Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just push HP5 or get some 1600 Neopan which is really about 800iso or Delta 3200 which is about 1000.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to score that 800 on #bay? I will be going to the bigger town soon and will check out the camera shops.
Try this link...I think peterqd put me onto this site when i was looking for film.. Very Happy
http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/main/page_shop_online_fuji_colour_negative_c41.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Did you manage to score that 800 on #bay? I will be going to the bigger town soon and will check out the camera shops.

No, unfortunately I missed it. Neutral

Do let me know what you find in your shops... not that I would have you buy me any (unless it is really cheap! Very Happy), but I'm really interested to know now if 800, 1600, & 3200 film is disappearing in other places.

mo wrote:
Try this link...I think peterqd put me onto this site when i was looking for film.. Very Happy
http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/main/page_shop_online_fuji_colour_negative_c41.html

It looks like the only 800-speed film they have is the Kodak Portra 800, at AU $14.50/roll... So it's only a touch cheaper than the mail-order Fuji here in NZ, not counting the shipping. Neutral Thanks though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Just push HP5 or get some 1600 Neopan which is really about 800iso or Delta 3200 which is about 1000.

The 1600 Neopan and Delta 3200 would also be ultra-expensive mail order for me. Wink There really is nothing over ISO 400 available locally...

I would push it, and I might push some B&W in the future, but for right now I'm looking for color film to be developed at the local labs. I don't think any of them are set up to do push/pull processing - it is hard enough to even find a place that still does the developing at all. Neutral

Something else interesting that I should add, is that I have found quite a few stores that indirectly stock ISO 800 film... they have the "indoor" disposable cameras that come loaded with 27-exposure ISO 800 film. I could in effect get a roll of 24-exp ISO 800 film by buying one of these, winding it all the way through the roll, breaking the camera open, and retrieving the leader from the cartridge... But I would have to spend NZ $25 per camera, so $25 per roll. That's over $1 per exposure, which is pretty steep when you think about it. Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast films are getting scarce - Fuji already cancelled Neopan 1600 and Pro 800Z. It would be quite a surprise if Superia 1600 and Portra 800 don't soon go the way of the dodo as well - professional use of fast colour film will be pretty much zero now, DSLRs beat it in just about every discipline. Black and white has more justification, and Fuji already killed theirs, which leaves a bit more market for the two remaining ones.

For out of the way places with expensive shipping like NZ, perspectives for film photographers in general are somewhat grim - exotic materials already have to be mail ordered from the few economies big enough to have some local market for these freak products. At the very best, you'll find some camera store shipping from Australia, otherwise it is getting seriously expensive.

That is, as long as subsidized shipping rates from Hongkong and China are as cheap as right now, I'd probably shop there rather than in Australia - currently it is often cheaper to order from Hongkong to Germany rather than from adjacent Austria. But it rather looks s if the WTO will put their foot down on this sooner or later, so that that loophole won't exist in the long run...