Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yep..More Small Birds with the Viv 600mm Solid Cat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Yep..More Small Birds with the Viv 600mm Solid Cat Reply with quote

12-28-2010 hand held photos with the Vivitar Series 1 Solid Catadioptric lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely set, I love free bird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
lovely set, I love free bird

Many thanks for the kind comment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this is your best set yet with this lens! You're definitely getting the hang of things! Cool

Aside from what you have shown us, what would you say your success rate is? Are more and more of your shots turning out now?

I'm also curious if you have tried any tripod shots, to see if the results are better or worse than handheld? Conventional wisdom is that a tripod should be almost essential at this focal length, but you seem to be proving otherwise. Cool

There also appears to be some odd posterization in the cardinal... Is this a post processing artifact, or part of the originals?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to interfere, just share my experience using mirror lens, I use Rubinar 500/8, most shot was handheld. using tripod didn't improve, well maybe not yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
I would say this is your best set yet with this lens! You're definitely getting the hang of things! Cool

Aside from what you have shown us, what would you say your success rate is? Are more and more of your shots turning out now?

I'm also curious if you have tried any tripod shots, to see if the results are better or worse than handheld? Conventional wisdom is that a tripod should be almost essential at this focal length, but you seem to be proving otherwise. Cool

There also appears to be some odd posterization in the cardinal... Is this a post processing artifact, or part of the originals?

The only thing I did different with the cardinal was to desaturate the photo in the red color. The feathers of the cardinal in the bright sun do tend to smudge out from reflected light. A polorizing filter would help that but I can't afford a 106mm polorizing filter so this will have to suffice.
No tripod used yet and the tripod is more difficult to use with these small birds as the flit from one branch to the next...never sitting still for more than a second or two. I'll do it one day but I really do not see it improving these by much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
sorry to interfere, just share my experience using mirror lens, I use Rubinar 500/8, most shot was handheld. using tripod didn't improve, well maybe not yet.

On small birds I tend to agree with you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a monopod be of help in that situation,with the Little birds moving so fast?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Would a monopod be of help in that situation,with the Little birds moving so fast?

It might as it is not as restrictive in panning to find these small birds. I just find my success rate is increasing without the use of a tripod or monopod so they are really not needed yet. I get about 50% keepers now.