Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Fast lenses Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/fast-lenses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what point does a lens become fast? I always think that this depends on FL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Faster than usual in it's focal lengths.

for example in 135mm F2 and below, in 50mm below 1.4 etc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Then we must decide what is 'usual' in any focal length. To me, the usual is f/2.8 in 24-28-35-90-100-135mm, f/2 at 50-55-58mm, f/4 at 15-20-200mm. Then, 'fast' is 1/2 or 1 stop faster than usual, and 'super-fast' is beyond that. That is my personal mental map.

But like any line-drawing, these lines are arbitrary, and shift with changes in lensmaking. We may be near absolute limits in commercial optics. But lens matrices and arrays, active controls of malleable shapes, extensive image processing, may change our standards of judging optics and speed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but what happens when discussing older lenses when the usual was f3.5 or more???????
So f1.8 was superfast back then eh??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was....and still is, based on percentage of available lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to me to be a rather subjective call and format dependent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

+1

+2

For example (but there are many) 300/4.5 is fast for an 8x10 lens, slow for 35mm.

JJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Usually thats right. But not always right.
Based on my test, 50/1.4 only very slight slower than 50/1.2 lens. I mean smc M 50/1.4 vs Nikkor 55/1.2 & FD 55/1.2 SSC
My camera metering same speed with those 3 lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree with the last post...........I have canon fd 50 1.4 and 1.8 lenses and theres bugger all difference between them regarding light gathering properties........half a stop difference barely registers in camera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are differences. Many meters may not notice a mere 2/3 of a stop, but film/sensors do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Attila wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

+1

+2

For example (but there are many) 300/4.5 is fast for an 8x10 lens, slow for 35mm.

JJ

However, for those using smalelr formats, such as 35mm, most would have no problem using their lenses at full bore, but large format users would not want to do that. In fact Rodenstock specified their lenses to be used at f/22.

That being said, while I have no problem at all using my Protar V lenses, I still use a Grandagon-N, 65/4.5 Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wondering why lenses with large aperture called fast lens Rolling Eyes
It only lets more light passing through. The speed of light is constant exept if you are shooting near a blackhole Razz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopimorning wrote:
It only lets more light passing through. The speed of light is constant exept if you are shooting near a blackhole Razz

It refers to the shutter speeds the lens allows...A fast lens allows faster shutter speeds to be used due to its wider/brighter aperture and a slow lens has to be used at slower shutter speeds because of it smaller/dimmer aperture...At least thats the story I'm sticking to Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
kopimorning wrote:

It refers to the shutter speeds the lens allows...A fast lens allows faster shutter speeds to be used due to its wider/brighter aperture and a slow lens has to be used at slower shutter speeds because of it smaller/dimmer aperture...At least thats the story I'm sticking to Wink

I like this explantion thanks! In Hungarian we call them lens with light power.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
kopimorning wrote:

It goes back to Aristotelean physics, where heavier objects fall faster than do lighter objects. So-called 'faster' lenses are usually bigger and heavier than 'slower' lenses; being heavier, they fall faster. Galileo proved this to be false when he dropped cannonballs and apples from the Tower of Pisa, but optical engineers still live in a pre-Galilean, pre-Newtonian world. Selah!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG's explanation sounds as good as any. RioRico's violates the principle of parsimony. Cool

I've always thought of the speed, whether fast or slow, as being the amount of time it takes to make an exposure at that particular aperture. Fast lenses allow fast exposure times, which amounts to the same thing as DSG's explanation in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I've always thought of the speed, whether fast or slow, as being the amount of time it takes to make an exposure at that particular aperture. Fast lenses allow fast exposure times, which amounts to the same thing as DSG's explanation in the end.

I like your explanation, that make your explanation sounds as good as any Laughing

Now I would like to call these lenses as: "fast shutter speed allowed lens" Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought "fast" lenses were the ones that emptied your wallet quickly? Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
I always thought "fast" lenses were the ones that emptied your wallet quickly? Mr. Green

I like your explanation, the fast lens is the one that allows a lot of light in your pocket!