Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY car headrest camera mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: DIY car headrest camera mount Reply with quote

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/143656-my-6-diy-headrest-car-camera-mount.html

http://www.ae92gts.com/ae92gts_video_mount.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Sting. Looks interesting, but in my opinion needs some tweak. The first one with PVC tube looks suitable for a light camera, I think a reflex will shake a bit too much (has to be taken in account that the tube is secured only at one side). The 2nd one with aluminum square tube looks lots more robust, what scares me a bit is that is secured to both the seats. This may pose some logistic problems, sometimes there are passengers in the car and eventually a different driver than myself. Maybe an in between solution, aluminum sq. tube secured at one side only that is. Maybe with a foot on the camera side. You gave me something new to think about Smile .

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty,

Also, you may need to consider safety risk whilst travelling. What will happen in a car crash? Will the bar act as an unexpected metal barrier hitting someones head? I guess my point is that it should only be used when you are stationary. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that is of my concern too. To be hit in the head by the camera or stabbed by the tube would be not nice. I must being becoming too much an optimist for not having thought in first instance about the eventuality of a crash Smile .

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be worried about safety with those mounts... especially the "stabbing" concern with the single-sided mount. Shocked Seats are designed to move around in impacts to lessen the forces on the passengers, and passengers move around quite a bit as well, so you really never quite know where things will end up. Neutral

I made a camera mount for one of my cars a while back, which used the two center ceiling mounting points for the sun visor anchors, and held the camera upside-down tucked in right above the rearview mirror. It worked great, as it kept it out of the way, didn't have any bouncy lever arms or complicated brackets, and had a great view out the front. Cool

If you want some other ideas for automotive camera mounts, you can read the regulations for some of the racing organizations (autocross, etc). There are lots of good recommendations/requirements such as secondary restraint straps, etc. Cool