Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

adding CPU to manual focus Nikkor lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: adding CPU to manual focus Nikkor lenses Reply with quote

Have a look at legacy2digital, which offers CPU lens conversion for Nikkors non-Ai through AiS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAM!

Not only is their very first post an advertisement, it isn't even in the right section! Confused Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: my apologies Reply with quote

I honestly thought this would be of interest to this forum. Should I just wait for someone to let the forum know this service exists? I can delete if you wish.

No harm intended!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, perhaps I jumped a bit quickly. Wink

Welcome to the forums. Cool

Are you affiliated with legacy2digital, or have you used their services? I looked at their website and did some google searches, but I couldn't find any pictures of converted lenses or reports from customers...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very short thread at FM about this company. Nothing special. The prices are not really cheap so that for customers outside USA it could be without of interest.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: my apologies Reply with quote

cougar_daniels wrote:
I honestly thought this would be of interest to this forum.

Welcome!

Actually, if you find a way to remove CPU from some AF lens so it could be used MF on other camera systems .. then this is the right forum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean like this one:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Responses to Legacy2Digital posts Reply with quote

First, I am professional photographer with more than 25 years of Nikon experience. I have teamed up with a machinist with extensive optical and prototyping experience to modify Nikon lenses for enthusiasts. So, yes, I am affiliated with L2D, but I certainly didn't mean to spam -- and would gladly remove my posts if that's the perception. Rather, I thought that members of this forum would like a) to know about the service and b) post questions or experiences that might be pertinent to adding CPUs to MF Nikkors.

We use a programmable CPU chip, but our service's focus is machining the lens mounts so that the CPU may be used with the large number of lenses that cannot directly take a chip without modification. We also ensure that the positioning of the chip is precise and will not produce wear either on the lens or camera side contacts. To my knowledge, there have only been a couple of services offering lens conversions of this kind.

As for int'l customers, the cost of shipping is NOT prohibitive unless your lens is low value AND you use Fedex or UPS. I see no reason why int'l customers would not be interested in the service.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Responses to Legacy2Digital posts Reply with quote

cougar_daniels wrote:

As for int'l customers, the cost of shipping is NOT prohibitive unless your lens is low value AND you use Fedex or UPS. I see no reason why int'l customers would not be interested in the service.

Hmm, I would pay about 50,00 $ for shipping one way for 1 kg with German post (dhl) so maybe 100 $ for 2 way shipment plus possible customs problems plus the costs for your service.

Everyone may have an idea about what lenses with low value we are not talking about.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Responses to Legacy2Digital posts Reply with quote

cougar_daniels wrote:
First, I am professional photographer with more than 25 years of Nikon experience. I have teamed up with a machinist with extensive optical and prototyping experience to modify Nikon lenses for enthusiasts. So, yes, I am affiliated with L2D, but I certainly didn't mean to spam -- and would gladly remove my posts if that's the perception. Rather, I thought that members of this forum would like a) to know about the service and b) post questions or experiences that might be pertinent to adding CPUs to MF Nikkors.

No problem.

Would you be able to provide a bit more information about your pricing? For example, in your FAQ, you give several "levels" of conversion difficulty: http://legacy2digital.com/nikon/frequently-asked-questions
It would be good to know which lenses fit into which category. Wink

It would also be good to see some examples of your conversions. I couldn't find any on your website, and couldn't find any posted by others... It takes a lot of trust to send a lens and money away, so it would be nice to see some of your work. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: re site updating Reply with quote

Agreed! There will be updates to the site with more images of converted lenses, and as more customers receive lenses posts from them about their experiences on forums like this. I completely understand the trust issue, though. It takes some time to establish a reputation for quality and reliability.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood the hype about chipping old Nikkors as all the newer Nikon bodies all have the ability to program the focal length and aperture setting of a Nikon lens. It just saves a few keystrokes. Or is it the focus indication? Or having the correct exif data programmed? I know that Bjørn Rørslett on nikongear.com has all his lenses chipped but to me it simply sounds as a convenience, not a "must have".

Machining non AI lenses to AI in my eyes is a much more important service....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I never understood the hype about chipping old Nikkors as all the newer Nikon bodies all have the ability to program the focal length and aperture setting of a Nikon lens. It just saves a few keystrokes. Or is it the focus indication? Or having the correct exif data programmed? I know that Bjørn Rørslett on nikongear.com has all his lenses chipped but to me it simply sounds as a convenience, not a "must have".

AFAIK adding a chip enables (i) metering and (ii) the rangefinder function on cheaper bodies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about that, from a D200 onwards I meant. Although I personally use an older D70 since many years w/o problems with manual lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
kds315* wrote:

AFAIK adding a chip enables (i) metering and (ii) the rangefinder function on cheaper bodies.

I use the dandelion chip on my adaptalls and my my D60. The chip also adds "semi-AF" which means I cannot take a photo if I'm not in focus.
The chip have made my life a bit easier and I am able to make much better photos and I did before the chip.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipping older Nikkors certainly brings advantages to those who are not using pro/prosumer Nikon DSLR bodies, but for the rest - this only saves a few keystrokes as Klaus mentioned