Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Painted point in the middle of enlarger lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Painted point in the middle of enlarger lens Reply with quote

This question might sound stupid but i have few lenses most probably for enlarging and they have painted a point in the middle of one glass element inside. Any idea why?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know blocked lenses from dark field applications in microphotography, where the direct beam from light source to film has to be suppressed. Similar techniques may have been used for the technically related point light sources in enlarging.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of "center filters" being used to darken the center of wide-angle lenses to compensate for the light falloff at the edges, to balance the exposure across the frame. Perhaps this is an internal version of that? Question

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for reply. I only cannot imagine how this center block wouldn't have bad impact on the image produced. I'll make tests.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no rule that says that apertures must be disc-shaped - donut shape apertures occur in mirror lenses as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catadioptric (mirror) Lenses have center blocked. (Oh!, now I see Sevo has already said that Embarassed).

Another interesting (to me) lens is the Zone plate aperture shape. I plan to experiment with these. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Zone Plate Comment Reply with quote

Zone Plate Comment

I do hope you have success with them on a camera. I, unfortunately, listened to my eye doctor/surgeon and had zone plate lens replacements installed during cataract surgery (Restor lens). They claimed I would never need glasses again, etc since the were almost infinitely variable. Well, HALF true, I don't need glasses to function normally, the downside is there is no sharp focus at any distance. They are like a soft focus lens. I have to wear jewelers or reading glasses to actually see a sharp image and the DOF is like an f1.0 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg that is too bad to hear. You should have had a Vario-Pancolar installed Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vario-Tevidon 18-90mm also has such dot. It has reflective surface towards the front.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On old TV and cine lenses, in-lens mirrors are not that uncommon as provisions for mirror-out finders - on close inspection you'll see that the dot (indeed the mirror surface) is at 45° angle and semi-transparent, while the lens barrel may have a cover at that side that unscrews to expose a finder socket (but they often did not use a different optical group on budget/CCTV lenses, so the mirror often is there while the finder socket is missing).