Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I just bought an entire darkroom!! (Lots of photos!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: I just bought an entire darkroom!! (Lots of photos!) Reply with quote

I've been slowly working my way back into film, having not stepped into a darkroom for about 12 years, and only then in an educational environment. As part of this, I have committed to developing my own b&w film, and I purchased a single-roll dev tank and some chemicals a while back. I still haven't developed any of that film, but I'm getting ready to. Embarassed Wink

Anyway, I've had my eye on a few of the auctions for darkroom equipment, but they tend to either go for high prices, or be far enough away that shipping is prohibitive and pickup isn't feasible. Fast forward to last week, and I had put some low bids on a few local auctions to see what happened... to my surprise, I won two of them. Shocked

So here's the haul. Very Happy

First, a LPL 67 "Super Professional" enlarger:

The enlarger is in great shape, and seems to be in fully working order. It has inserts for 35mm and medium format film, and came with a Nikon EL-Nikkor 50/4.0 lens. A darkroom easel was also included:

Right below the lamp, the enlarger has a pull-out tray with a thick slab of glass with a bluish tint. Can anyone tell me what this glass is for, or why it would be removable? Question

Next, a Johnson / Smiths timer:

The timer didn't work when I got it, and after some effort I have cleaned and adjusted the old clock movement enough that it will run reliably. However, this timer had been taken apart before, and in the process the "start" mechanism (which kicks off the motion of the balance wheel), was damaged. Confused So until I can figure out how to fix that, I have a timer that will only start ticking if you remove the rear cover and poke at the movement. Probably not a good idea, considering it is right next to the contacts that switch the mains lead. Shocked Very Happy

Next, a pair of focus finders - a plastic Paterson, and a heavy metal unit from B.P.M. ("Butterfield Photographic Mfg. Co.") in England. The Paterson has a sliding cover... any idea why, is it just to keep dust out when it isn't being used?

I also received this sorted pack of Ilford Multigrade filters. Can anyone tell me how these would be used? Question

An A-P safelight with its box:

A two-reel A-P developing tank, complete with all of its parts including the box & instructions:

A Paterson test strip printer, which I think will be especially handy since I haven't done this in so long. Wink

An Alden 74 bulk film loader. No film in it though. Sad Laughing
I've heard that this is a good model? Does anyone have the instructions for it, by chance? I could probably wing-it, but if there are any tricks to this unit, it would be good to know before I load it up. Cool

An Ilford "Modern Darkroom Technique" book:

Another set of the basics: a Paterson safelight, a Paterson System 4 single-reel development tank without the top lid (but with everything else), three paper trays, two squeegees, four hanging/drying clips, and some mystery filter? (It's just frosty looking... any idea what this was for?) Question

And finally.. the best part. Very Happy

Five boxes of photo paper, and three bottles of chemicals, all about fifteen years old according to the previous owner! Shocked

I made a thread about the chemicals before I picked them up:
http://forum.mflenses.com/15-year-old-bandw-chemicals-still-usable-t34172.html
and the conclusion is that the only way to see if they are any good is to try them. The 1L bottle of Ilford Multigrade Ilfospeed paper developer is about 3/4 full, but probably closer to half since the bottle has collapsed inward. The Agfa Agefix fixer is the same - a bit under 3/4 full, but in a semi-collapsed bottle. The Ilford Hypam paper & film fixer is almost empty... probably less than 1/4 left guessing by the weight.

The paper is a totally random mix. The boxes are for (in order left-to-right, back to front):
Agfa BS 319 PE, "Special, Neutral tone, Fine-grained lustre", 100x 8x10"
Kodak 8070, "Double Weight Kodabromide T-3", 100x 8x10"
Kodak 8070, "Double Weight Kodabromide T-3", 100x 8x10"
Agfa-Gevaert Röntgen-X, "Curix RP 2, Gevar polyester base", 100x 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" (For x-ray machines?)
Ilford Ilfobrom IB2.1P 2, "Glossy, Single Weight", 100x 6 1/2" x 8 1/2"

Some of the boxes have writing on them, but aside from indicating that they are pre-cut, I don't know if the paper in the box corresponds to the type on the box... Guessing by the weight, I would say each box is betwen 1/4 and 1/2 full.

Between the old chemicals, the old paper, and the test strip printer, it looks like I have plenty of chances to experiment. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ilford Multigrade filters are for variable-contrast paper, which is the most common one nowadays: the paper reacts to the different colors in the filters by changing its contrast characteristics. Filters are numbered according to the contrast scheme used in fixed-contrast papers, eg 2 (which you'll probably use for contact sheets), lower contrast for lower numbers, higher contrast for higher numbers.

You tipically place a filter in a tray in the enlarger head, which looks suspiciously like the one in yours with the blue tinted glass. Sometimes you need to cut filters to fit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!

Yes the tray is for contrast filters.
If you can find a class you should join it.
I'm teaching one in February but your on the wrong continent. Wink

There are many excellent books to get you started.
Search for titles by Les McLean .

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, what a haul!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! great move

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, congrats. But where is the darkroom? I only see darkroom equipment.... Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only need a 75 or 80mm enlaging lens and you are ready to go with the medium format enlargements.

Smile have fun .. in the beginning the bathroom will do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better check the condensers in the enlarger, there should be two configurations for 35mm negative and 50mm enlarging lens, and 6X7 negative and 90mm lens combinations. The glass filter is the heat absorbing filter, you should leave it there, and put the Multigrade filters on top of it.

The Paterson grain focussor does have that sliding dust cover.

The round frosted filter is the light integrator for a Paterson enlarging exposure meter, not present in your haul.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun.
Congrats on the haul.
Now you need a room to put them in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what this glass is for, or why it would be removable?

I think it's used for focusing only. For some reason with certain type of grain focusers it's needed a blue filter to get correct focus. Right now I don't remember exactly the entire story behind that and unfortunately I don't have my books handy in this moment.

Quote:
any idea why, is it just to keep dust out when it isn't being used?

Yes, that's right.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how these would be used?

You need to put them in the drawer in the place of the blue filter. They're needed to control paper contrast.

Quote:
and some mystery filter? (It's just frosty looking... any idea what this was for?

Maybe for paper pre-flash. edit: I just noticed Seele has better knowledge of this particular enlarger, so maybe I found an alternate use for this item Smile.

Good luck and have lotsa fun. It's good to hear someone interested in darkroom these days.

Cheers, M.