Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Flinders Ranges Australia..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: The Flinders Ranges Australia.. Reply with quote

I have just returned from a motorcycle trip through the Flinders Ranges.

There has been alot of rain through the area over the last few months and life is in abundance everywhere, both flora and fauna.

As i was traveling on my dirt bike, i didn't want to risk damaging my good lenses so i took a couple of cheapie Sigmas, the 18-50 kit lens and a 70-300 APO tele.

I also took my DP1s, so over the next couple of days as i process shots i'll update this thread.

Here are the first 2, what a woeful lens the 18-50 is Crying or Very sad

Sunrise @ Wilpena Pound

Camera Make: SIGMA
Camera Model: SIGMA SD14
Lens: 18.0-50.0 mm
Mode: Manual
Focal Length: 23 mm
Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Time: 0.2 sec (1/5)
ISO: 100

This is a 6 portrait image stitch created in Hugin. Shot with a Sigma SD14 and 70-300 APO @70mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Flinders Ranges Australia.. Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
I have just returned from a motorcycle trip through the Flinders Ranges.

And you didn't use a "Range Flinder" camera? Laughing

Looking forward to your DP1 shots...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Steve. Did you read about the makers of the next Mad Max movie having to find a location offshore due to those rains rendering the Silverton area too green for what they wanted as a location?
BTW Italian bikes concourse is on for 21 November, location is a carpark in Coburg, not quite as spectacular a backdrop as the Exhibition buildings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys.

DP1 shots soon... i promise.

Hi Johnno, yeah i heard about the MadMax saga, to tell you the truth, everything after the 1st one have been rubbish!

Hopefully i'll see you at the bike meet, you can show me your new camera and lenses Very Happy

Here are 2 more shots from the Flinders, some local flora.

Sturt's Desert Pea...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sturt pea in the wild, very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images Steven. Tried to find out with Google Earth where the location is. Blinman, South Australia - is that correct ? From Google Earth the area looks very sparse but in fact this impression is wrong.

Thanks for sharing and wait for your next images to see some (for me) unknown areas of this world.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rolf,

Yup Blinman is at the Northern edge of the Flinders Ranges National Park.

You can see the whole area on google maps in satellite mode to get a good idea of the area.

Wilpena Pound is where the first shots were from, the Sturt desert Peas were from Arkaroola Villiage.

It certainly is harsh unforgiving country, we had to carry fuel and water bladders as the distances are huge and people sparce.

"Perhaps, the lowest population density occurs in South Australia, only 1.5 persons per square kilometer, denoting that neither urban nor rural population thrives well on the large dry and semi-arid interiors of the continent. South Australia in fact has the least urban population density in the world."

This is how we traveled, as you can see, we were loaded up!!

Here is the area from Google maps.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wilpena+pound&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=55.53625,93.251953&ie=UTF8&hq=wilpena+pound&hnear=&ll=-31.528215,138.611755&spn=0.422575,1.153564&t=h&z=11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did you made a survival training before your trip ? What is if something will happen. Is a Mobile telephone system available there ?

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be self sufficient, luckily there is some tourist traffic, but no mobile phone.

It is just the opposite of the European Alps, you face similar risks but at the opposite end of the spectrum. I think it is what makes these places attractive, they are unspoiled and wild.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I will have the chance in the future to visit this area ! And others of course in your exciting country.

Wink