Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus om10 film camera...been given one to play with!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Olympus om10 film camera...been given one to play with! Reply with quote

A friend has this camera and wants me to test it to see if all is working etc,I have put fresh batteries in it and all seems to work in that department.I will be using a roll of expired kodak film 100.
Any suggestions on what to look out for?
It has a OM system Zuiko Auto-s 1.8/50mm lens attached.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus om10 film camera...been given one to play with! Reply with quote

mo wrote:
A friend has this camera and wants me to test it to see if all is working etc,I have put fresh batteries in it and all seems to work in that department.I will be using a roll of expired kodak film 100.
Any suggestions on what to look out for?
It has a OM system Zuiko Auto-s 1.8/50mm lens attached.

Well you have a very good lens so no excuse for unsharp shots Wink Just
open the back and fire the shutter and all speeds to roughly see if there are any problems, check the light seals they can go gooey.
Last check the camera's shutter/aperture exposure readings with your other cameras, and if they are about right then happy shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...never thought to do those things.
here is the camera itself.

1)Yes the seals are gooey
2)Shutter appears to fire ok at all F stops
3)I am finding it hard to read the numbers in the Viewfinder on the left hand side?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I am finding it hard to read the numbers in the Viewfinder on the left hand side?***

If you select an aperture, a little red diode lights up along side a shutter speed to tell you what the camera is going to fire at.....but the camera is a aperture priority camera i.e. you select the aperture and the camera automatically chooses the right shutter speed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I noticed the red light and ran through the F stops and watched it change.I just can not see the numbers beside the red dot clearly enough...I can guess fairly well Very Happy I am short sighted and wear glasses but possibly the light in the house is not good enough for the viewfinder.I appreciate your help using an unknown camera brand is challenging...but the functions are the same..point and shoot Cool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

Is it missing a screw there on the front of the prism?

Otherwise, it looks to be in great shape!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Man you have eagle eyes ,I had not even noticed that! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus om10 film camera...been given one to play with! Reply with quote

mo wrote:
...Any suggestions on what to look out for?

The check-on-off lever can lose its click-stop capacity and become lose enough to blow about in the wind, like a weathercock. (Happened to me, but can be fixed).

The OM10 can -suddenly- start to overlap frames. (This happened to mine and is currently waiting for a decision: fix or bin?)

Other than that (and needing a plug-in manual shutter speed gizmo -if you don't already have one- in order to be used in a "manual" mode") they are pretty good on "auto". (Mine has a winder and auto-exposure is very good)

The plug-in manual shutter speed gizmos are sometimes available (at exorbitant prices) in second-hand photo shops.

The package as a whole is quite cute and appealing to the eye. Smile (That's what got me in)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Shocked Man you have eagle eyes ,I had not even noticed that! Very Happy

I was just viewing on a low-resolution display. Wink When I was looking at the photos, the camera was larger than actual size! Very Happy