Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar flash
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Vivitar flash Reply with quote

I want to buy a Vivitar flash that will be triggered by a Cactus. Also I want to set it manually.
I have no idea what to buy. So many models.
Any input greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

285HV - Loads of power, built in gel holder, manual & auto power settings and will work on a DSLRs. Around 40gbp.

However, my favourite manual flashes are the Nikon SB-28s. Almost twice the price and not quite as much power but just brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar flash Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I want to buy a Vivitar flash that will be triggered by a Cactus.

Question... Mr. Green

(Image from user "l santry" via Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cacti_barrel.JPG)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar flash Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Himself wrote:
I want to buy a Vivitar flash that will be triggered by a Cactus.

Question... Mr. Green

(Image from user "l santry" via Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cacti_barrel.JPG)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Cactus 285HV for some time. It is simple and powerful. But it has no 1/8 power. Only 1/2, 1/4 and 1/16. Also it is huge and designed over 20 years ago. Half a year ago I have purchased 2 Cactus AF-45C from gadgetinfinity. Also I purchased V4 trigger set. All I can say - it is just brilliant and really amazing especially for the money. Also I've tried V2s trigger on my Canon 5D. And it has had some little banding issue on the border of any photo. V4 has no any issues. So AF45C + V4 is really greaat option. You can find many examples on flickr.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug, you made me chuckle and its' 6 o'clock in the morning Very Happy Appreciated!
Arctures I use a V$ for a year now and I'm very happy with.

I've found a Vivitar Zoom thyristor 2500 with 20$.
Anyone using it? Pros and cons comparing with 285HV?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

285HV is great and has low voltage trigger, so safe for modern DSLRs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it comfortable to use with modern DSLR's?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko, as for me AF45 is more comfortable just because of it's size and connectivity. Also it has built in reflector and diffuser. And - may be that is subjective - it looks like AF45 consumes less battery power.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if you expect all the fancy new modes (TTL, eTTl, ...)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some quick examples. A little under exposed at the sky, AF45C camera top right set at 35mm:

Planar 50/1.4 Smile

Voigtlander APO Lanthar 90/3.5 @5.6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 430EX to use with my camera. So nothing to worry about frying the circuits.

Any thoughts about Vivitar Zoom thyristor 2500 ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
285HV - Loads of power, built in gel holder, manual & auto power settings and will work on a DSLRs. Around 40gbp.

However, my favourite manual flashes are the Nikon SB-28s. Almost twice the price and not quite as much power but just brilliant.

+1 forever works.. I had two of them one abused , it works perfectly. I sold to my friend and bought a MINT one it has trouble with vari-power function always use full power , so careful with good looking ones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks to the mod/admin who moved the thread here. My bad Embarassed

I've found all that I needed regarding that particular Vivitar flash on these 2 sites

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes_meters.htm

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Martin and I bought a Vivitar 285 HV.
50$ - Ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Vivitar DF 383 Reply with quote

i wonder if anyone using this type of vivitar, its for olympus/panasonic....still learn & compare with Nissin DI 466 or Targus for Olympus.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Vivitar 283 last week knowing that some of them can have high voltages, I took a chance when I saw the label on the flash head that although in German, which I don't understand, mentioned "6volt"

The translation of which is -
"6 volt corded only for Vivitar sb-4 power cables and usage"

When I measured the voltage it was 244 volts.

Like I said though, I took a chance and only paid £3 for it, the Cactus will cost a whole lot more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitars 283s & 285s are older models which do have a high trigger voltage. My cameras will handle 250 but I would not feel comfortable being this close to the limit. THe 285HV is later and triggers at about 6 volts.

After one of my beloved SB-28s died at a recent shoot, I decided to replace it with a Youn Nuo 560. One can get a new pne for almost half the price of the SB-28 or slightly more than a Vivitar 285HV. Only manual control though. I'll post a review of one when it arrives.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use several units. A Sunpak 444D (dedicated for Nikon), a Nikon SB 25, a Nikon SB600 & A Lester Dine ring/point light...I have some older units (weak ones) that I am not even listing plus an AC powered Spiratone Spiralight...I was outbid on every Vivitar 285 that I bid on on eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I listened to Martin and I bought a Vivitar 285 HV.
50$ - Ebay.

so is it good enough then? from the price i assumed that in used cond?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The Vivitars 283s & 285s are older models which do have a high trigger voltage. My cameras will handle 250 but I would not feel comfortable being this close to the limit. THe 285HV is later and triggers at about 6 volts.

After one of my beloved SB-28s died at a recent shoot, I decided to replace it with a Youn Nuo 560. One can get a new pne for almost half the price of the SB-28 or slightly more than a Vivitar 285HV. Only manual control though. I'll post a review of one when it arrives.

so the DF383 was the latest model of vivitar, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DF283 is a newish model. This range I think was designed to work in TTL mode with some cameras. It's not the same as the old 283 which was a real workhorse.