Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kaleinar-5 extension hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Kaleinar-5 extension hood Reply with quote

Kaleinar-5 100/2.8 lens, as well as Nikkor 135/2.8 Ai-S, have built in hoods, unfortunately not deep enough to be very effective.

Today I was playing with a short hood with 58 mm threads I got in a package of hoods from member Alex, and I found out, that this hoods fit
to Kaleinar´s and Nikkor´s built in hoods, and can be used as an extension hood. The Kaleinar´s built-in hood is plastic, and the metal extension can be fitted quite tightly. The Nikkor hood is metal, and is without threads, but anyway the extension can stand light knocks without dropping off. The hood is 25 mm deep, and, as a bonus, accepts a 62 mm lens cap.

I cannot see any vignetting in the pictures with the extension.

Next I´ll try to find same kind of solution to my Nikkor 180/2.8 Ai-S lens, which have same kind of (too short) built-in hood.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use 52mm telephoto hoods on both of these lenses. No need to affix them to the built-in hood, just using the filter threads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I just use 52mm telephoto hoods on both of these lenses. No need to affix them to the built-in hood, just using the filter threads.

It sounds like Gurdie's solution is more compact... I could see this being beneficial as well if you could share the same (short) hood with a wider-angle lens. Cool It's always nice to have less equipment to carry around.