Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 135 f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Canon FD 135 f3.5 Reply with quote

I picked up one today for $20 in mint condition. I know it's the low end FD, but I can't come up with any sample pictures.
If you have any pics taken by this lens I would like to see a sample.
Must be LBA I don't own a Canon camera. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Well I do have some t mount lenses with Canon adapters, and I was thinking of picking up an AE1.
Must be CBA kicking in I haven't bought a camera in over a week. Smile
Keeper or just resell it. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sell it and would buy instead some other nice FD lenses. And a nice A1. You will have a lot of fun with such a combo.

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Canon-A-1/11348351_quB2P#797015615_AcTbU

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter you are not alone in this..... I buy adapters that I don't need Rolling Eyes Just in case I buy the camera and lens to match. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Walter you are not alone in this..... I buy adapters that I don't need Rolling Eyes Just in case I buy the camera and lens to match. Very Happy

You know, mo, I was going to tell you - I came across a Mamiya lens in a pawn shop last week and remembered that you had those adapters. Very Happy It was a great looking lens, but they wanted quite a lot for it. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
I would sell it and would buy instead some other nice FD lenses. And a nice A1. You will have a lot of fun with such a combo.

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Canon-A-1/11348351_quB2P#797015615_AcTbU

Wink

Thanks Rolf, I will keep an eye out for an A1. I will probably buy the Cam first then sell the lens. I like to at least shoot some with a lens before I sell them.

Mo, if you buy the adapters first that gives you a reson to buy the lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an FD 135 mm 1:2.5 S.C. since 1975. It's very difficult to find something that gives you a better build quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a FD EOS thin adapter and received it today. SO I tried it out on my Canon EOS 10D.
So Here it is Canon FD NEW style 135 f3.5 on EOS 10D with thin glassless adapter.
I can only post one pic because my battery died after this. I really need to remember to order a couple backup batteries.
Comments are welcome, laughter is okay too. Shot is cropped but no PP.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes... colours are nice, but shame the focus was on the bit in the shade Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my attempt with the FD 135 f3.5 SSC

The lens was held in front of my camera.
The lens is a killer

This one is a heavy crop

http://www.cameraserviceone.com/000-fd135f35/01.png

more samples here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-135-f3-5-sc-t37029.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always surprisingly that you get such results with this kind of photography. Shocked Shocked

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***If you have any pics taken by this lens I would like to see a sample.***

Well I have the Canon 135mm f3.5 Breech and it's a good lens. One day I'll have to compare it with my Meyer, Pentax, Hexanon, Yashica and Vivitar 135s to see what the differences are.

Don't use 135mm lenses much but this shot I like...you might have seen it before and noticed the busy background.
Canon 135mm f3.5 breech lock...on film:-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how big a difference there is between the old and the new style.
I can't get a sharp shot out of it. This is the best I've done so far. Handheld and no PP. Focus point is the bee.
Pink Garden Phlox And Bee

Pink garden Phlox Crop

Bee Crop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Walter - did you mount the glass adapter again or not?

just attach the lens and hold it - try to focus by moving your body rather than focusing ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, are you a part time photography magician?! That flower pic is fantastic!

Excalibur - That's a great film shot too, you nailed the focus (not easy when a swinging tyre is involved!) and there's loads of contrast.

Walter - I agree with Stan, get shot of the glass adapter! And beg, steal or borrow a Sony Nex Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! Smile Graham thanks! I am just testing lenses.. nowadays, Canon vintage line Smile

I have got 2 versions of 135 f3.5 -
one with breach-lock and one with the new FD mount ..

I think I spent about 20 GBP for both ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Canon 135mm shot that I have found, but can't find any with the lens used for close up.

Canon 135mm f3.5 on film

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lens is really great!

Excalibur - great picture!

thanks for sharing this.

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

thanks for sharing this.

tf

..thanks and with your Excellent close up I think we have confirmed the Canon is at the very least a good lens.
Prices were mentioned and I bought a FTB that needed a CLA, breech lock 50mm (with some fungus) 28mm, and 135mm, and a set of close up lenses...all for £10.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots guys. I will try again tomorrow a storm rolled in.
I hope to get a Sony Nex in the next 6 months. Hopefully nothing will happen and I will be able to save the money.

The adapter I'm using has no glass. It is one of the thin adapters 2MM thick. With this lens, maximum focus distance is around 8 feet. I think if i continue shooting with the 10D I will have to buy a viewfinder magnifier.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

thanks for sharing this.

tf

+1 nice picture can 'sell' any lens Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot about a 1/2 hour ago. Forgot to set the ISO higher. Embarassed Just ran out of time and the bee wouldn't cooperate. Laughing
Shot is cropped with a little bit of sharpening no other PP.
I just don't like this lens, or it dosen't like me. Laughing
I know my shots that I posted are user error, but this lens just dosen't seem to work well on a 10D for me. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you back-focused just a tad, Walter. If it's looking sharp in your viewfinder, it might be your camera's focusing screen. Many of Canon's APS-C sensor sized cameras have focusing screens that are optimized for slow lenses and the result is focusing errors with mf lenses that have faster apertures than f/4 or so. One way to get around this problem is to use Live View, but I don't believe the 10D has this feature.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****I just don't like this lens, or it dosen't like me. Laughing****

erm Maybe the Canon 135mm f3.5 is not specifically designed for close up work...quite a few Tamron or Vivitar zooms are good at close ups and going very cheap if you don't wont to buy and expensive macro/close up prime.
I've taken a few close up shots yesterday with my Canon, but as you know with film you have to wait till the end of the roll and you might have thrown away your Canon by then Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Looks like you back-focused just a tad, Walter. If it's looking sharp in your viewfinder, it might be your camera's focusing screen. Many of Canon's APS-C sensor sized cameras have focusing screens that are optimized for slow lenses and the result is focusing errors with mf lenses that have faster apertures than f/4 or so. One way to get around this problem is to use Live View, but I don't believe the 10D has this feature.

Could be my eyesight too.I wear glasses to read with.A viewscreen magnifier would help some I think. I've thought about an aftermarket focusing screen. I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

This lens is a little harder for me to use then some of my other 135's.
I'm planning on saving for a Nex or a G1 so I can use my MD and FD lenses the right way.
It's kinda hard to really test a lens when your limited to 8' max focus distance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****I just don't like this lens, or it dosen't like me. Laughing****

erm Maybe the Canon 135mm f3.5 is not specifically designed for close up work...quite a few Tamron or Vivitar zooms are good at close ups and going very cheap if you don't wont to buy and expensive macro/close up prime.
I've taken a few close up shots yesterday with my Canon, but as you know with film you have to wait till the end of the roll and you might have thrown away your Canon by then Wink

With this lens and adapter I'm limited to 8' so the type of shots I can take are limited. I have lenses that I can do macro with, but what I'm trying to do is work my way thru all my lenses to see what stays and what goes.

I would be interested in seeing your close up shots when you finish the roll.