Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MTO Mirror with corrosion!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: MTO Mirror with corrosion! Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
At $99au I am unsure if this is a deal with the lens in this condition.What do you think......Just paint loss or it is worthless?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay wrote:

RUSSIAN
MTO-1000
10.5/1100 N8 12860
reflex lens, USED ON PRACTICA, SEE PICTURE
IT HAS BEEN USED AND HAS SOME COROSION ON ONE SIDE
BUT STILL IN WORKING CONDITION

The corrosion looks to be very localized, but also very severe... I wonder if it sat in water? Question There is no way that this is just paint loss...

I also don't see any mention of it coming with the filter set... You can see an example of a full kit in great condition here: http://forum.mflenses.com/sold-mc-mto-11ca-10-1000-and-mto-1000a-10-5-1100-as-new-t29234.html

Dunno if it is worth it... it seems to be a bit risky, and "BUT STILL IN WORKING CONDITION" doesn't really give one a lot of confidence... but that being said it seems to be a good price (half the price of a good kit with the filters?)...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: MTO Mirror with corrosion! Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Click here to see on Ebay
At $99au I am unsure if this is a deal with the lens in this condition.What do you think......Just paint loss or it is worthless?

I have one and my copy isn't pin sharp at infinity, even after cleaning all the fungus off it. See HERE for some samples.

They are battleship construction (and weight!) though, so it all depends on the condition of the optics and whether you want to take the chance I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just Know metal and corrosion usually means a bad out come...that's why I thought to ask you experts for opinions first... Very Happy I did not know about the filters though Confused

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I just Know metal and corrosion usually means a bad out come...that's why I thought to ask you experts for opinions first... Very Happy I did not know about the filters though Confused

Just for reference, the filters and the case are not inconsiderable pieces of kit and finding them alone (should you want to) would I think be very difficult.

FWIW, I think the body is brass (as are the filter rings!), so as long as the corrosion hasn't affected the optics, I think you have a better chance of resurrecting this lens than if the body was aluminium.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks corroded on the outside body while the insides look clean; the mirror coating is probably okay, maybe not.

10.5/1100 lens needs a sturdy tripod or lots of light. I do mean sturdy! I have to use a tripod used for medium format camera with mirror lockup and remote release, because the mirror flip vibration causes blur at typical shutter speeds.

Depending on the focus ring travel, focusing can be difficult because dof even at long distances (even 10km!) is so narrow. Then there is the 10 meters closest focus distance.

Needless to say, people do work around these limitations and produce fine images using these lenses.

f/10.5 is a bit slow for astrophotography, unless a tracking mount is used. Great moon photos are possible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
This lens looks corroded on the outside body while the insides look clean; the mirror coating is probably okay, maybe not.

10.5/1100 lens needs a sturdy tripod or lots of light. I do mean sturdy! I have to use a tripod used for medium format camera with mirror lockup and remote release, because the mirror flip vibration causes blur at typical shutter speeds.

Depending on the focus ring travel, focusing can be difficult because dof even at long distances (even 10km!) is so narrow. Then there is the 10 meters closest focus distance.

Needless to say, people do work around these limitations and produce fine images using these lenses.

f/10.5 is a bit slow for astrophotography, unless a tracking mount is used. Great moon photos are possible.

+1 to all of this, although I haven't managed to take a good moon shot with mine yet. Could be me, or the focus issue, not sure Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the main issue would be not having the filters?
I have a 2nd tripod an older velbon solid aluminum...I don't use it, for the fact it is very heavy Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it was in the case and got wet. All corrosion is on the same side even in the knurls.I would have to see better pics to even consider such a lens. Rear pic could be mold on the lens no way to tell.

I personally think it's on the high side. It might be 50% of the going price but it's missing 50% of what's normally included. Plus the damage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will give this a miss too many unknowns.Thanks for your input Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I think I will give this a miss too many unknowns.Thanks for your input Very Happy

mo - is it close enough that you could go check it out in person?

Based on what others have said, it sounds to me like the biggest risk factor is the condition of the mirror. So if you could verify that the mirror is OK, and you don't mind the cosmetics, then it wouldn't be too bad.... or perhaps you could even offer a lower price.

I think (correct me if I am wrong) that the filters would only be an issue if you shot B&W film, and the lack of a case & instructions would only set you back if you wanted to re-sell it. You would have to find or make another case to protect it while carrying it around, but that wouldn't be too hard.

So if you just want a "user" lens for your DSLR, and don't care about the appearance or the resale value, it might still be a good option. Wink It would just all depend on the condition of the mirror....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
mo wrote:

mo - is it close enough that you could go check it out in person?

Based on what others have said, it sounds to me like the biggest risk factor is the condition of the mirror. So if you could verify that the mirror is OK, and you don't mind the cosmetics, then it wouldn't be too bad.... or perhaps you could even offer a lower price.

I think (correct me if I am wrong) that the filters would only be an issue if you shot B&W film, and the lack of a case & instructions would only set you back if you wanted to re-sell it. You would have to find or make another case to protect it while carrying it around, but that wouldn't be too hard.

So if you just want a "user" lens for your DSLR, and don't care about the appearance or the resale value, it might still be a good option. Wink It would just all depend on the condition of the mirror....

I think you are right. It is strange that the only picture of the optics from the front is at a large angle. No sight of the mirror anywhere. It would be a good idea to get at least a new picture of that. I suspect that the mirror might be damaged and maybe the seller doesn't want to admit it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mirror isn't damaged it might be a bargain, if the shipping is cheap.

The ones I see on ebay in the FSU countries, shipping seemed to be $60 and up. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the main question(s) to ask is the mirror ok and the usual does it have fungus...on the rear element it does appear to me to have a spot of fungus?
I have never seen a mirror lens up close so it is a totally new beast to me. Very Happy

Scheimp...They do not live close at all..it would be nice to be able to do that occasionally Wink I don't care for cosmetics as long as it is functional and does what it is meant to do.